• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Essential Gear for a new guy.

Zane1844

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2020
Typical new guy questions, I know. But I'm trying to compile some essential gear for long range shooting.

I only shoot factory ammo, right now its 6.5CM Hornady 147gr ELD. I can Google what people are getting with 22" barrels, but I still don't know my true velocity.

So, I'm thinking of getting a MagnetoSpeed so I can get true velocity to put into a ballistic calculator.

I shoot at known distance ranges so I'm thinking maybe a range finder isn't very essential. But, I'm still wanting one to make sure I'm getting a true range. I'm wanting a Leica 2400R.

So out of the two, which one is more important? I'm buying things slowly. The Chrono is cheaper.

I'm currently using local weather info and Hornady 4dof. I'm practicing at a local 500m range to practice before going back to the one mile range. I'm getting a dead nuts 100yd zero, then shooting groups at 100m increments to ensure my scope corrections line up to my calculator. But, I'm not sure how well it'll work if I'm putting bad data into my calculator, mainly the velocity.

Try using the search at the upper right of the screen, there is a shit ton of info on just about any question you can think of, just put in your question and there are probably multiple threads on any given subject.

you can true up your ballistics by using the poi/poa but it is important to know exact distances (or very close).
the range i have been to is so wide, the distance to targets can vary as much as 40 yds depending on where on the line you're shooting from.

Reactions: Secant
I've shot several of my guns out to 1,400 yards with factory ammo and without using a chrono. I typically get a solid zero at 100, assume ~25 fps/inch of barrel and make a guess at velocity, then true MV as I shoot. I'll usually make a gross adjustment at ~400 yards, fine tune a little at 600, and then "finalize" at about 800 yards.

I've shot at facilities where the ranges were dead nuts, and also at facilities where ranges were off by a significant amount. Truing distance is not something that I would consider. So for me, I'd get a good LRF and forego the chrono for now.

Reactions: theLBC and J-Ham
gun , ammo , a bi pod if you want one , and a rear bag and a target or so helps . what more could you want patients maybe . good luck you can do it .I am trying to keep a note book with my data in it they make fancyier versions by I am cheap so a 6 pack dollar store note books works for me I also find I can draw my own circle as both my sticker targets and steel targets are all round it just works out nice .

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think both the Chrono and range finder seem important when it comes to getting true data.

The smaller 500m range is where I really need the range finder. First, because it's in meters on half the range, secondly because I can place my own targets where I want. The big range I go to seems better layed out and ranged, it's used for PRS as well.

Eventually I'll get both. As I practice more, I'm sure they'll be even more useful as I get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC
Magnetospeed and a good rangefinder will make you’re life a lot easier. Kestrel is probably the second most used gear outside of the rangefinder and bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: xocyrusx
Magnetospeed and a good rangefinder will make you’re life a lot easier. Kestrel is probability the second most used gear outside of the rangefinder and bags.
Agree with all 3 of these... I have a tendency to want more, try it and dial it back. Its a costly approach but it helps me find what works... I went with a spotter / LRF but found myself looking at a bino / LRF combo.

Since you're not reloading, get the range finder first.

If you were a reloader, get the chrono first.

The bullet doesn't lie, so long as you know exactly how far the impact is from you.

Rifle, you forgot to mention a rifle...you'll need one of those. Rifle, optics(although open sights work too), ammo, and time. As noted above, a rangefinder would probably be next on the list. I could have a pile of cash to purchase anything I need, but nothing beats time behind the rifle and in my case, seems to be the thing I desire the most.

Rifle, you forgot to mention a rifle...you'll need one of those. Rifle, optics(although open sights work too), ammo, and time. As noted above, a rangefinder would probably be next on the list. I could have a pile of cash to purchase anything I need, but nothing beats time behind the rifle and in my case, seems to be the thing I desire the most.

His post repeats the phrase "I shoot" many times over. That phrase is also followed by the words "6.5 Creedmoor" and "500 meters"

I'm pretty sure he has a rifle.

I know, slowing down and actually reading for comprehension is too much work before just blurting out one's preconceived answer.......

His post repeats the phrase "I shoot" many times over. That phrase is also followed by the words "6.5 Creedmoor" and "500 meters"

I'm pretty sure he has a rifle.

I know, slowing down and actually reading for comprehension is too much work before just blurting out one's preconceived answer.......

Well, I was actually joking, but I can comprehend you want to be a dick.

Check out the articles on weaponized math. You don’t actually need a chrono unless you are doing load development.

The big range that's is known distance and used for PRS, that's where I would be concentrating my efforts.

On that line of thinking, the magnettospeed is the first item I would buy. Using your phone, applied ballistics, or similar app will likely work out ok. But don't close off the idea of buying a Kestrel. Very valuable long range shooting tool.

Additionally, a quality rear bag and bipod are essential in my opinion. Armageddon game changer is an extremely versatile and steady rear bag. Bipods, many options, Harris 6-9 a gold standard if budget is a concern. You don't have to spend more than that, although many do. I would suggest adding Hawk Hill talons to the Harris. Notched legs, not smooth.

Armed with accurate velocity, a good ballistics solver, bag/bipod, and a known distance range, you should be well on your way. At that point you can focus all your efforts into fundamentals and wind reading. I suspect shooting some PRS matches would be something you would really enjoy also. Another reason to gravitate towards that known distance range you mentioned that host PRS matches.

Message me anytime, I was in your shoes just a few years ago myself. Seems like a tough nut to crack intitially, but long range shooting is really pretty straightforward. That 500 yard range you mentioned will be a real bore in no time at all. I see a range finder collecting dust myself.

Reactions: Zane1844
There's a lot of great advice here.

I'd just add that in my humble opinion a portable ballistics solver might not be preferred at this point over using jbm ballistics charts. Since you shoot at the same couple of places you could plug in their altitudes and weather conditions on days that you shoot. You'll slowly get your muzzle velocity trued, then you can compare charts to see the effects of varying weather conditions and such. From a learning perspective I think it's really interesting to have the charts at my fingertips with windage and elevation predicted at ~20 yard intervals.

Also, be sure to be saving your brass for that glorious day when you begin your descent into the reloading rabbit hole!

The magneto speed would be my top priority. Without good data, the rest is just wasted ammo.

The big range that's is known distance and used for PRS, that's where I would be concentrating my efforts.

On that line of thinking, the magnettospeed is the first item I would buy. Using your phone, applied ballistics, or similar app will likely work out ok. But don't close off the idea of buying a Kestrel. Very valuable long range shooting tool.

Additionally, a quality rear bag and bipod are essential in my opinion. Armageddon game changer is an extremely versatile and steady rear bag. Bipods, many options, Harris 6-9 a gold standard if budget is a concern. You don't have to spend more than that, although many do. I would suggest adding Hawk Hill talons to the Harris. Notched legs, not smooth.

Armed with accurate velocity, a good ballistics solver, bag/bipod, and a known distance range, you should be well on your way. At that point you can focus all your efforts into fundamentals and wind reading. I suspect shooting some PRS matches would be something you would really enjoy also. Another reason to gravitate towards that known distance range you mentioned that host PRS matches.

Message me anytime, I was in your shoes just a few years ago myself. Seems like a tough nut to crack intitially, but long range shooting is really pretty straightforward. That 500 yard range you mentioned will be a real bore in no time at all. I see a range finder collecting dust myself.

Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that I currently have a Bergara HMR in 6.5cm with a Vortex 4.5-27x and Magpul bipod. I also just picked up a Tab rear bag.

With realizing how hard it was shooting at 600yds plus the other week, I'm now focusing on truing data and reading wind. As well as, shooting groups on paper out to 500yds so I can work on getting those precise shots at distance.

My big range also teaches classes that I plan on attending.

Essential gear:

1. Stapler with staples
  2. A second stapler with staples (very important, do not disregard the second stapler)
  3. A good prone mat
  4. A good spotting scope
  5. SMALL toolkit with some essential wrenches, spare parts, batteries,don't bring the whole tool bench.
  6. A basic screw together rigid cleaning rod for range use, not for regular cleaning.
  7. A half dozen chamber flags

That's all that you really NEED to shoot out to 1K....

Chronos, anemometers,range finders, ballistics calcs, and chamber cooling fans are all bullshit people tell themselves they need because they lack basic shooting fundamentals.

Some of that shit is nice to have....but hardly necessary

Good fundamentals. A basic ballistic chart for your load JBM Hornady, shoot on paper at known distances, adjust dope, make good notes of all conditions shot.True up your data shoot some more, verifying new data, all the time concentrating on good form and fundamentals.These are basics with out any special gear, you can add extras as you see necessary. This is kinda what you're doing now.An accurate chrono reading can vary from lot to lot on factory ammo. A chronograph is to me a useful tool for shooting, as is a rangefinder because I hunt I want to make the best first shot possible.

I will add that my Leica 2400 is an-ok rangefinder but it doubles as my monocular. This dumb person sold his Kahles Binos. Found the range finder definitely lightened my load and it does stay in my pack.

Reactions: 308pirate
The first tool I got was a coronagraph to see what my rifle was getting in speed. The second was a ballistics phone app, and the third was anther phone app called Virtual Measuring Tape. The last was a basic weather station. At some pint I will get a range finder, but for now this what I have and use, and it all was under 500$. You do not need to spend allot when starting off.

One other thing you will need that is the most important, a dope book (Some call it a log book.)! This will let you keep track of what the rifle will do with various wind and temp changes with the ammo you are using. Any note or journal book will do, I use the Hashtag ones. You can also use the Mil forms in PDF with a clip board. DA FORM 7651, DA FORM 7636.

The magneto speed would be my top priority. Without good data, the rest is just wasted ammo.

If you have a KD range, a way to confirm those distances, a solid 100 yd zero, an estimate of MV, and this: https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/predictable-weaponized-math-and-x-factor-voodoo/ you can get excellet data without a chrono.

The OP does not reload. He can use the ammo maker's MV (particularly if it's from a barrel the same or nearly the same length as his) and one of the many free ballistic programs to get a rough estimate of drops. With a KD range, good rangefinder, and the thumbrules I posted, he can collect TRUE (not predicted) drop data with minimial ammo expenditure so long as his fundamentals are solid.

The bullet does not lie.