• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Evaporust on cerakote

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Has anyone let a rifle that is cerakoted, soak in evaporust? Didn't know if the evaporust would harm the the coating.

Cerakote is very resistant to chemical exposure. I never soaked a part myself. How long do you intend to soak it for?

I get the feeling that if the part is bad enough to need Evapo Rust, Cerakote is the least of your worries. Sounds like remove rust and then refinish would get you the best results.

If acetone is not going to take off cerakote, then I highly doubt Evaporust is going to do anything to it.

Acetone will dissolve greases and oils but will not touch rust. If the rust got under the Cerakote, Evapo Rust will dissolve the rust and compromise the Cerakote bond to the object. A little contact could cause it to chip.

Has anyone let a rifle that is cerakoted, soak in evaporust? Didn't know if the evaporust would harm the the coating.
WTF?
I don't understand the premise of the question.
Proper Cerakote prep includes media blasting to remove all rust.
If the rust got under the Cerakote,

Impossible for rust to "get under" Cerakote. Either it was there before it was coated- which is lack of prep and will need to be re-done after the Ckote starts peeling away- or it's a non-issue. As Baccarat said above, Ckote is completely solvent resistant- with Ckote having been correctly prepped/applied/cured, anything as inert as Evaporust (which you can safely handle without gloves) isn't going to affect it when the strongest solvents do not.

Reactions: Bacarrat
Evaporust is unlikely to effect the cerakote. Is this just a theoretical question, or a "asking for a friend" scenario? I'm genuinely curious as to the scenario that leads to a cerakoted rifle needing to be soaked in evaporust. Is the bore rusted?

Branden