• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Everyday Carry Blade

Re: Everyday Carry Blade

I have carried a knife my entire adult life (and part of my childhood). I have always thought of my knife as a tool that could be used for self defense if the need arose. After some training, I realize that a knife is a better offensive weapon than a defensive one. Meaning: using a knife for self defense is a lot more complicated than it seems. Definitely not something one should count on without training and practice.

Cook skinner for a defensive non-util blade.

edc_09-21-2010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EESE Rat 3 - Great carry knife and not quite big enough to raise any eyebrows, but big enough to be very useful.

Also the Kydex sheath that it comes with is amazing. I carry it inverted at 4'oclock if I'm not packing, or 2:30 if I am.</div></div>
+1, I carry a RAT3 IWB at my 11 and have the RAT6 on order as a camp knife. I also edc a XXL Cold Steel Voyager in the rh pocket too (6" blade, 13"OAL)

I dont know. A motivated individual with an edged weapon can inflict a whole lot of damage.

I carry a Kershaw Avalanche. love it g10 grips, its about 6 years old and still holding up great

Coldsteel Recon 1 Tanto Blade. Carry this 24/7, works wonders for camping, fishing, all round my daily.
51SIzfhPsxL._SL500_.jpg

Carry an Emerson CQC-7B every day. On call outs I have a Tops Pry knife on my drop leg. Picked up a Tom Brown T1 Tracker a few years ago and think the world of it. Thought about mounting it on tac vest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many people who carry a knife have ever had any training in using a blade as a weapon.

Without training, an edged weapon is useful as a letter opener.

Owing a piano doesn't make one a pianist.
</div></div>
Training every Monday night for 1 to 1.5 hours. The other 2 nights usually involve empty hand defenses against knives at some point.
I carry a fixed blade knife where you cannot carry a pistol.
Even if you have a pistol or are a "trained" fighter a trained man w/ a knife is worth running from.
I highly reccomend carrying 2 knives if you are going to cut things w/ one. Keep your fighting knife razor sharp.

I don't want to be in a knife fight. I'd rather get shot than cut.

I carry a Fiddleback Forge Bow Legged Joe and a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan daily.

DSC06083.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

CR05092_2.jpg

I am primarily a Spyderco fan

I bought a Flash II a week or so back, the action is good, the lock strong, but the little lock down near the clip (opposite side) activates while the knife moves in your pocket (even when clipped in my pocket).

The Jury is still out on this one. It is sharp as HELL though. I am looking at some of the SOG possibilities as well such as the SOGzilla.

What about serrated vs. straight vs partially serrated? I have no illusions of being a knife fighter, despite some parochial training. (I agree it is better to use offensively than defensively).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many people who carry a knife have ever had any training in using a blade as a weapon.

</div></div>

100% correct. Without knowing how to <span style="text-decoration: underline">Access</span> and Deploy your blade under stress, you have nothing.

nothing fancy for me..
in my pocket today: 0350 plain edge
last week: rat1 with a little work (scuffed grips and drilled liner), bm mini-grip, bm full size grip, or spydie atlantic salt

all were cheap, all hold an edge, all cut whatever i need them to. if they don't, i rotate while one is sharpened.

i want a sebbie, but it's just out of my logical price range at this point...not to mention i'd be scared to carry it for fear of loss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many people who carry a knife have ever had any training in using a blade as a weapon.

</div></div>
Training every Monday night for 1 to 1.5 hours. The other 2 nights usually involve empty hand defenses against knives at some point.
I carry a fixed blade knife where you cannot carry a pistol.
Even if you have a pistol or are a "trained" fighter a trained man w/ a knife is worth running from.
I highly reccomend carrying 2 knives if you are going to cut things w/ one. Keep your fighting knife razor sharp. </div></div>

Training in any particular art?

On another note, I've carried 2 knives for years. For a long time it was Benchmade AFCKs, then later Benchmade McHenry Williams Axis locks, presently it's 2 Spyderco Tenacious folders. The Tenacious is relatively inexpensive and holds an edge well. I used to run machinery so there was the possibility of getting a sleeve stuck. Then there was a class with Ayoob that opened my eyes up to 2 knives and always being able to reach one to help in handgun retention.

Anyone ever watched the video of Dan Inosanto? That in and of itself will open your eyes.

SOG it sharpens easily and holds a nice edge. I've had two and put them thru hell but they hold up well!

I carry a CRKT m16, like this:
CRM16-14ZSFI.jpg

It's nice and sturdy when locked in the open position, doesn't seem flimsy like other folders I've tried. It is a decent size knife, and is almost too big in the pocket, so somedays I don't wear it because of that. All in all a decent knife for a decent price.

+1 Benchmade CQC7

But if I had to buy one today, I'd probably go Spyderco Military or Paramilitary.

I carry a Benchmade Infidel, great knife but if it wasnt given to me I would not have spent that much money on one.

Kershaw Ken Onion Avalanche assisted opening. Granted that I don't demand a lot from it daily (only open it 2 or 3 times a month) and we're restricted to 3" and less blade length at work. It stays razor sharp and with the knife training we had a few years ago I'm 100% comfortable with it.

I carry just a little CRKT Drifter. Also have a Kabar in the truck.

Emerson super-7 with the wave , sucks as a letter opener for a right handed person but thats not why I carry it.

I would say that benchmade is by far the best. CRKT is a good cheaper alternative though too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper623</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that benchmade is by far the best. CRKT is a good cheaper alternative though too </div></div>

Look around at some other knives. I have a few Benchmades. While they are good knives for the money, you would have a hard time convincing anyone that has held a custom that they are by far the best.

Chris Reeve Sebenza, simple, strong, doesn't tear up my pockets, presentable.