• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EVIL LITTLE BLACK RIFLE.......psssstt

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
Went to a gunshow Saturday in hopes of finding some decent priced .22 match ammo. That was wishfull thinking at best. I did come across something that peeked my interest and that was a bolt action 300 Blackout. I had planned on building one this coming year but decided to go ahead and purchase the Remington 700 SPS Tactical ACC 300 BO with 16.5" barrel.

Factory300Blackout_zps23eb6deb.jpg

300BORollmark_zps2be5364e.jpg

BlackoutTwistRollmark_zps1e560d1d.jpg

After church Sunday I went ahead and broke the rifle apart, threaded the bolt handle for a bigger knob. Ditched the Hogue stock and bottom metal. I then placed in in a AICS 2.0, scrubbed the bore with JB's bore paste and mounted a US Optics SN-3 atop her with some 2 piece bases i had onhand. Will be getting a 20 or 30 moa base for it soon.

300BODONE_zpsfc591d6e.jpg

I tried Hornady 225gr BTHP and 208gr Amax's. The goal was to get a sub-sonic load that groups in the 1 MOA range at 100yds. AA1680 powder and Rem 7 1/2 match primers along with formed Federal brass. This took some experimenting to do as I was getting 100+fps spreads. I was able to seat the bullets way out there with the roomy AI mag but in the end wound up seating them deep as accuracy and ES's gt better. Finally wound up with a load using 10.9 grs of 1680 behind a 208gr Amax seated at 2.200" with a medium crimp. It averages 1020fps with spreads of 30fps and a SD of 12fps.

BlackoutCartouches_zps02775edf.jpg

208AMAX10point9ofAA16802point200thousanthsOAL_zpsfa45ac84.jpg

This morning, Labor Day I awoke and was able to do some real life testing with it on a pig. 35 yard shot just behind the ear turned the lights off on the boar. It was actually quite cool.

300BlackoutFirstPig_zps507ceb3d.jpg

300BlackoutFolded_zps00ede9e2.jpg

I didnt expect great accuracy but wanted quiet and quiet it is. I have a Form 1 out for a dedicated suppessor for it. The 223 AI mag runs flawlessly with the BO. The rifle is a bit on the heavy side and will look at a lighter stock. Will continue some load development but have faith that the Amax load will do fine.
Looking forward shooting it out a bit further. All in all, so far I am happy with it.

Last edited:
OK - that's just freaking bad-ass. The whole damned thing.

And I like that it's black and not painted. It's a .300 blackout, for fuck's sake. It should be black.

Well done. Great write-up, great pics. Now you need to add a vid of the rifle being shot so we can enjoy the silence.

Sweet gun and a great story, plus now you have bacon!

I'm curious what your load would do at 150 yds or even 200....
Anyways great story again
God bless

Glad you posted this. I had just decided to build a 300 blackout as a "truck gun". Hadn't read to much up on it but this makes it easier to stick with my decision.

VERY cool rifle. Well played, sir.

Love the pic of the hog giving the rifle a piggyback.

I am surprised at the group, tho. Maybe that's about the best you can hope for in a heavy bullet moving very slow?

Thanks everyone!!!

First of all , I would like to thank ya'll for the positive comments.

2nd... This thing is pretty darn sweet just like mentioned.
I had to experiment today with some 240gr SMK's just because.:D

Thinking the 1:7 twist might like em and it did. Funny thing is this is a compressed load. There is very little room when that sucker is seated into the case.

It came in right at .6" for 5 shots, the sub 1/2" group has eluded me but oh well.

Blackout240grSMK11point5grsofIMR4198_100yards_zps08927dfd.jpg

I was lobbing them at 200yds this evening, the first 3 got me excited (1.5") and then I dropped the last 2 opened it up to just under 4".

1st200yard300BlackoutSteel_zpsb8d30f0b.jpg

I decided to get a glamour shot as the sun was setting......
300_Blackout_SEPT4TH_zps9b9767a0.jpg

Gratuitous shot of my bolt work I did on Sunday.

My300_Blackout_knob_zpsa79f1c1b.jpg

I suddenly want to take my Blkout boar hunting... Be it a 16in AR I still want to do it! Sweet rig. What are your velocities with a bolt gun?

Update...... another hog fell this morning at 95 yards with that 240gr SMK load I posted a few hours ago. I have this one on video and will post when I get a chance. Thinking the name for this rifle is going to be "Miss Piggy"

You mentioned in the beginning that you were considering a 20 or 30moa base for it. Does the Blackout shoot far enough to need the base? I ask because I'm considering a project on either an AR or my "extra" .308 bolt gun. I never really thought of Blackout as even a medium range caliber (out to 5-600), and I"m hoping I'm completely wrong and that's it's useable at farther distances.

BEAUTIFUL setup, you definitely turned a hum-drum rifle into something special.

Thanks Mark, I will be PM'ing you about those SMK's.

From this morning, the Blackout takes another piggy back ride! Good thing I dialed the scope back down to my 100yd zero.;)

PiggyBackRide_300_BLKOUT_240SMK_95Yards_zps46bfb131.jpg

Facing quartering to me at 95 yards,the cartridge is at the entrance. The exit was low and behind the offside shoulder. It ran about 60 yards. Watching the video the bullet may have hit the pig behind it, I"ll have to go look. You can see the the bullet in flight and impacting with a THUD.

300_BO_240SMK_Sept5_Sow_Impact_zpsa3da672e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, I will be PM'ing you about those SMK's.

From this morning, the Blackout takes another piggy back ride! Good thing I dialed the scope back down to my 100yd zero.;)

PiggyBackRide_300_BLKOUT_240SMK_95Yards_zps46bfb131.jpg

Facing quartering to me at 95 yards,the cartridge is at the entrance. The exit was low and behind the offside shoulder. It ran about 60 yards. Watching the video the bullet may have hit the pig behind it, I"ll have to go look. You can see the the bullet in flight and impacting with a THUD.

300_BO_240SMK_Sept5_Sow_Impact_zpsa3da672e.jpg

Nice shooting. I would love to see the video if there is a way you can post it up.

I have some 250g fp soft cast bullets that expand really well sub sonic. Actually they expand at 700 fps. I'll dig some out if you are interested in trying them.

The Video

Here is a short video. Sorry for the quality as I am using my digital slr in movie mode and it's not a real video camera. Looks like I'll be shopping for one though.Look at 25 and 3:19 for the shot. I was able to see the bullet's path and impact on my puter and hopefully others can too.

Very cool gun and video. I will be down south of SA in about a month to take some guys pig hunting. It looks like you have plenty of them down there.

El Gordo,

300 Blackout is NICE looking and shooting.... BUT... according to that video..... you needed a Auto with all of those hogs :)

Good shooting and nice video!

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I had to go back to work and will experiment more with the new rifle when given a chance to. Knowing your yardage is going to be the key thing with shooting subs and any distance and it has a trajectory of a brick. Sure this cartridge isn't for everyone, but it's fun to shoot and load for. Again thanks for the positive comments.

I'd been considering something very like this myself and am on the fence between building an upper (low cost) and a dedicated bolt gun (preferred, but lots more money).

You've put yours together almost precisely how I would do one. It's great inspiration. I wish we had hogs up here...