• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

excessive smoke from Accurate 2460 powder?

jet_lagged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
WA, The Evergreen State (KBFI)
I'm by no means an expert at reloading, but have some experience.

Have been using IMR 4895 for .223 .308 and .30-06, but wanted to switch over to ball powder to get it to meter better. So I picked up a pound of Accurate 2460, as that was what was in stock (also wanted Garand compatibility).

Shot the first of the reloaded .308, and it was so smokey, I could not get reliable chrono results. Shooting out of 20" Rem 700. Much more smoke than IMR or any of the mil-surp stuff I have shot. And much more smoke than anyone else at the range.

Is this normal for this brand of powder?

Re: excessive smoke from Accurate 2460 powder?

I've shot a lot of it and it burns very clean. I would take it back to the store and complain. Also try some AA2520, it should be a near duplicate of IMR4895.

Try VV N140. It will work great in the cartridges that you load for. Even though it is extruded, it meters very nicely for me, and gives great standard deviations. Also VV has great consistency from lot to lot. I had too many inconsistent lots of Accurate/Data powder in the past, so switched. Just my 0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jet_lagged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm by no means an expert at reloading, but have some experience.

Have been using IMR 4895 for .223 .308 and .30-06, but wanted to switch over to ball powder to get it to meter better. So I picked up a pound of Accurate 2460, as that was what was in stock (also wanted Garand compatibility).

Shot the first of the reloaded .308, and it was so smokey, I could not get reliable chrono results. Shooting out of 20" Rem 700. Much more smoke than IMR or any of the mil-surp stuff I have shot. And much more smoke than anyone else at the range.

Is this normal for this brand of powder?

</div></div>

It's called 'smokeless' powder for a reason.

Like the other guy said, it shouldn't be smokey at all. I've gone through a pound here and there and I've never seen any smoke in 15 yrs or reloading.

Also, like the other guy said, try a magnum primer if you have them on hand. Speer like to use magnum primers in their ball powder work-ups. I don't think this will matter, but give it a shot.

If it still smokes, take it back or call Accurate.

Chris

Thanks.

I have both regular and magnum primers (for small rifle/.223), I'll make a few to compare with non-magnum and see if it makes a difference in that case. And will see about getting some magnum large rifle next time I stop by the store.

Appreciate the recommendations for N140 and AA2520.

I just got a 2.5 pound package of AA2200 from a guy that has hundreds of pounds of the stuff.
He said it is bulk powder, and I should use N130 data.
It was made in 2007 in Belgium and came through Western Powders in Montana.

I got 32 pounds of bulk IMR4895 from HI-TECH that was surplus.
I found that the Quickload predictions for IMR4895 did not fit.
H322 fits within 1%.

I have worked up load and found the real limit in; 19 Badger, .223, .243, 25acp, 25/35, 257 Roberts AI, 32acp, 32sw,
32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 7.62x39mm 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, .380,9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm,45acp, 45Colt, 452/70, .410, and 45/70.

My order of importance in variables in determining the load that is the real limit for a cartridge and bullet weight are:
1) Is the powder real canister powder that has been blended to a precise speed? or some unknown bulk powder?
2) OAL from seating depth
3) Bullet jammed into the lands?
4) Magnum primer?
5) Case capacity
6) Chamber temperature

What does it all mean?
After 10 years of using AA powders, my complaint is batch to batch speed consistency, not dirtiness.
I find IMR powders are the best for canister consistency.