• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expander ball on a neck sizing die?

Redhook

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
I noticed that my Redding neck sizing die came with the expander ball on the decapping rod. Do you guys run the ball through after neck sizing? Seems counter productive to me. Especially when using a sized neck bushing.

But, on the flip side I can see how it would provide more consistent neck tension since the inside of the neck is now even vs. outside of the neck after the bushing. The above statement is assuming the neck hasn't been turned and there is some inconsistency in neck thickness.

Re: Expander ball on a neck sizing die?

If you turn your necks, use cases with consistent wall thickness or sort by neck wall thickness, then there is no reason to use it.

If the brass you use has a lot of variation in neck thickness and none of the above is true, then it should be used. In that case, you generally oversize most of the cases by a bit and then expand them out again just to make sure that the ones with thinner neck material have enough neck tension.

I only use it if the cases I am sizing have dings or are out-of-round and need the expander ball. Or, using new brass to clean up the necks. But otherwise, I only use the neck bushing with no expander ball to size the neck.

I use a universal decapping die for primers, and a bushing neck sizing die so that the neck are worked minimally--ensuring long brass life.