• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Expectation for accuracy?

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
Just wondering, in your opinion, what would be an acceptable percentage of accuracy when shooting a 1MOA target at the corresponding distance.
1" target at 100 yards
2" target at 200 yards
3" target at 300 yards
4" target at 400 yards
5" target at 500 yards and so on...?

Re: Expectation for accuracy?

A good solid 1" at 100 yards don't always translate into 2" at 200 or so on. Many other factors start to come into play at the distances increase. In theory yes it should work that way and many times it does but it can get crazy when you start to see what affects how a bullet groups at longer distances. I'd not beat yourself up if your groups don't follow your plan but then again it might get better the farther out you go. Strange things happen when stretching it out.

Topstrap

Undestand that. I know that my load is capable of MOA or beter out to 1K if I do my part. I am doing accuracy drills at close range(500 yards or less). I put 1 MOA dots at ranges up to 500 yards. Then I try to put one shot per dot drill. At 100 yards, it's pretty straight forward. I expect myself to hit at least 95%+ most of the time. However, when it's move to 300, 400, and 500 yards, the percentage drops to about 50-60%, which to me is a bit too low. Again, I am not talking about group shots. Just curious to see if anybody else practices that drill to 500 yards or less.

The accuracy expectation really depends on how often you train. One of the courses I went through had all MOA sized targets, at the end of the course you had to do 10 day quals and 10 night quals and maintain 80% to pass. This was however after spending 3-4 weeks firing several hundred rounds a day and we still had some course failures. I know for a fact if I tried to replicate that training today I would not do nearly as well simply because of the commitment needed to achieve those results. I do plan on setting up a similar course of fire to see where I stand. How long have you been doing this drill? How often do you practice the drill?

Being doing the 100 yards for years. Just started to push it out to about 500 yards within the past year. I try to train at least 2-3 x per week, when time permits. I thought 50-60% is a bit low. Someday, with the wind kicking up a bit, hitting that MOA target at 400+ seems like a daunting task.

for single shots on steel, i expect an moa hit out to three hundred every time, four hundred 95% maybe and five hundred something like 70%. now if you let me have a sighter for a wind call im sure i could ring over 90% out to 750 pretty well. Just depends on wind for me. Gun starts me off under a half inch so much of the work is done for me.

Are we talking laying prone while on the shooting range taking your time? If so, I'd think the % would be pretty high. Also, if it's a first round hit at 400+, your % will go way down. Once you find the hold for any wind, then the % will go up. If your in a match with a timer running, then % goes down as well. But I like to think that a 1/2 MOA rifle should be able to connect with a high % (90%+) from 300 and in, and 85% @ 400, and 75% at 500.

Thanks armymedic.2. Unfortunately, I don't have a spotter for with me everytime and my range doesn't allow steel so it makes it harder to correct the miss shots especially when the condition is not at its best for shooting. Also, I suppose this is where the 1/4 MOA or 1/2 MOA guns are going to have a bit of advantage over the others.

ChadTRG's guesstimate is pretty close to what I would expect as well.

+1

I am talking about 1 shot hit under any condition percentage. Once you "walk" the shot in then the percentage should go up.

the wind is always perfect for shooting. i actually seek to throw a few shots the windier it is........now i also live on a farm and my 800 yard range is at the top of the hill in front of my house..........so yeah im lucky-------but the point is never shy away from the wind, only way to know it is to shoot it.

and yeah there is nothing fair about trying to hit a one moa target with an inch and a half gun at one hundred. but the same can be learned with the other rifle shooting at a two moa target.......ya just can't be picky about your groups as much.

Only your budget determines how well your gun can shoot.

I think we get hung up on standards and lose track of the true goal; progress. Comparing oneself to other shooters and other shooters' standards is, IMHO, immaterial.

One does the best one can. One develops one's own standards from experience, and works to improve upon them. Anything else is about someone else, and they're not shooting your rifle at your target with your ammunition.

If you want to compare, compete.

For me, even when I compete, the only comparison that matters is with my own previous performance. I 'win' or 'lose' based on whether I've improved or not. The rest of the shooters on the line are simply providing a necesary distraction.

I shoot the wind two ways; to learn, and to apply the learning. Too learn, I shoot without compensation and keep track of the correlation between wind conditions and deflection. To apply the learning, I compensate according to conditions so I can enlist the wind to blow the bullet <span style="font-style: italic">onto</span> the desired POI.

Greg

I expect to shoot every bullet in the middle of the X-ring, to any distance the bullet is still traveling nose-on. If I accepted anything less I'd need to find another sport.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I am talking about 1 shot hit under any condition percentage. Once you "walk" the shot in then the percentage should go up.</span>

There is a wide margin there if I am understanding you. If you mean under any wind once you walk it in (and the wind remains constant) OK. If you mean - do a 100 yrd sprint and shoot from an odd position....

<span style="font-weight: bold">I think we get hung up on standards and lose track of the true goal; progress. Comparing oneself to other shooters and other shooters' standards is, IMHO, immaterial.</span>

I think Greg hit it. You might think about what YOU really want out of shooting. For ME it isn't all about nats ass accuracy. I am interested in accuracy / speed / high probability of hits under any condition. When work stagnates in any one of those three areas I find I make more gain if I shift focus to another area for a while and then circle back to what was lagging.

Good luck

I agree with Mo Zam Beek, I think the point of a drill such as the one described in the first post is to run through it as quickly as possible and from varied or unconventional positions.