• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expected Accuracy for an...

slowkota

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
AR-15 16" carbine, with a Burris XTR 1x4 scope (not sure what the MOA of the center dot in the reticle is)

Right now it's constently shooting right around 1.5"-1.75" MOA @ 100 yards.

Is that what I should expect from a factory MP15? I come from the precision bolt gun crowd, where shooting 1/2" or less @ 100 is expected.

Sorry if this sounds like (or is!) a newbie question

p.s. I'm confident on my end

Re: Expected Accuracy for an...

p.p.s.

Heres my rifle:
IMG_0653.jpg

And I was shooting 62gr XM855, and 62gr Federal Fusion's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I was shooting 62gr XM855, and 62gr Federal Fusion's</div></div> You're doing pretty good with that ammo, typical with M855 is 2-2.5moa for me. Get some 69 or 77gr SMKs and you will likely be around 1moa. Just remember it's a battle rifle with a battle barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
slowkota said:
Just remember it's a battle rifle with a battle barrel. </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was saying to myself every time I walked down-range to check my target.

I'll be using the Fusion's for this upcoming deer season in WI

*edit* I haven't even seen 69 or 77gr .223 ammo!

You're pretty much near the limits of mechanical accuracy from that rifle. You won't be able to do much better without going to a more accurate barrel and freefloat rail system. 1.5-1.75 MOA groups are nothing to be upset about for government profile carbine barrel.

With that ammo I would be ecstatic if my AR shot the groups you're getting. Most m4/government profile barrels need match ammo to get down in that range. The best my midlength with a free floated 16" government profile barrel has ever gotten was a touch over 1 MOA with handloads. 2-3 with surplus.

For heavier ammo check out Southwest ammo LINK

On a side note, why run the Fastfire with a 1-4x optic? Seems like running a backup RDS kinda defeats the purpose of going with a low power optic. Just interested in your thought process.

If I may respond. I have found that running a RDS with a 1-4 1-6 scope does have some good points. The RDS has unlimited eye relief so its faster in un conventional positions that you may have to shoot from. It also allows you to have your scope on max magnificaiton yet still have a red dot for close in. This is more of a gaming concern in three gun but it could come in handy in real life. A scope throw lever makes changing the magnificaiton fast but its still about the same time as doing a reload while simply canting the rifle is quicker.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember it's a battle rifle with a battle barrel. </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was saying to myself every time I walked down-range to check my target.

I'll be using the Fusion's for this upcoming deer season in WI

*edit* I haven't even seen 69 or 77gr .223 ammo!

</div></div> For ammo I've been shooting Black Hills SMKs, but I have several hundred rounds from Southwest Ammunition waiting for me at the house to shoot next month when I make it back home again. They also have the best deal running for loaded ammunition in 5.56 match. Can't wait to give them a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPRoberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note, why run the Fastfire with a 1-4x optic? Seems like running a backup RDS kinda defeats the purpose of going with a low power optic. Just interested in your thought process. </div></div>

I sold the FastFireII a few months ago, for just that same reason!

It was a combo package from Burris btw