• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expected Accuracy from Rem SPS...

blackfox

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Somerset, England
Hey guys, i posted on here a while back as im the process of getting approval to purchase a .308 for target and deer shooting.

I said that once i got the rifle i would fit a ACIS stock and adjust the trigger.

I was thinking of the .20" SPS Tactical and the 26" SPS Varmint. They would be screwcut and the moderator in use will be an A-Tec.

Now the question is, would the 26" have a higher velocity & more down range accuracy than the 20".
The targets i will be shooting can go out to 700 yards.

I already shoot rimfires and a .204 but the .308 will be a new calibre for me and would appreciate some help & advice from you guys. Just to add that i already roll my own for the .204 and will be doing the same for the .308.

Thanks Sam

Re: Expected Accuracy from Rem SPS...

I just bought a 20" SPS with the Hogue rubber stock. I tried Black Hills 168/175 & Fed GMM 168/175 and it shot them just ok - on average just about around an inch or more. It did love 168 Remington match ammo though - pretty much just about 1/2 - 3/4 MOA. Surprising to me that it shoots well at all as the barrel rests on the end of the rubber stock. I'll admit the 20" barrel setup handles nicely

The new Remingtons can be had with the X-Mark trigger so it's easier to adjust. Even the older Rem triggers adjusted fine for me - like to run them at 3lbs.

You can get the 20" to go to 700 yds no problem but will be giving up some velocity to the 26" barrel. It's always easier to cut a barrel down so I'd favor getting the 26" barrel.

Any difference in the twist between the two barrels?

If you do go with the SPS-T, Look into the new version that they have out with a 1/10 twist and its already threaded 5/8 by 20 (I think) for a suppressor. That will save you time and money and the 1/10 twist will stabilize all the 30 cal bullets you'll want to shoot out of a 308.

Thanks for the response.

I thought both came in 1/12 but have just seen flyboys post regarding the newer version of the SPS Tac with a 1/10.

Well i already shoot a semi custom SPS Varmint in .204, its long & with a PES moderator on the end it can be a handful. The .308 will be used for fox & deer so really the shorter the better.

Hence me looking at the 20" tactical, surely with the shorter barrel the loss in Velocity is marginal? and then go for the 1/10 version??

flyboy, what weight bullets would shoot best with a 1/10?

anbody got any grouping photos taken at over 500 yrds, i just want a idea of what i should be able to produce.

Thanks

Hey dude, I bought a sps varmint about 2 months ago. It shot about 3/4 moa with ANY ammo I fed it. PMC Bronze 147g shot .65 moa bone stock. I put a HS stock on it and it got groups down to about .55 moa. I recently added a mcmillan a4. I havent bedded it yet but its shooting around .4 moa.

Yep - I forgot to mention that they are making the SPS (T) with a 10 twist barrel and pre-threaded for 5/8"x24 with a thread protector. You can then run heavier bullets (just like a 300 Win Mag) and especially run heavy subsonic bullets (ie - 180 grain Hornady Round Nose) and be sure that they'll stabilize and not get a baffle strike in your can (if you run one). I actually suggested to Rem rep John Fink that he offer this 10 twist at this years Shot Show and ran into him a day later and he said they thought it was a good idea and that they would do it. It will come with "10 twist" stamped in the barrel and a greenish Hogue stock to differentiate it from the regular old 12 twist version.

When I was buying my SPS I was assured it was a 10 twist but when it arrived it was a 12 twist. I was pissed as I wanted to thread it and run it as my dedicated subsonic platform with a NV scope. But now I'm having a 10 twist barrel made for it that is 18" long.

I guarantee that if you ditch that Hogue stock and put that Rem action into a quality stock you'll get MUCH better groups just like cpt. obvious did.

varminteruk - where are you located?

Grim, hey, Thanks for that.

Thats what it will be, a SPS Tac with the 1/10 twist.

ahhhh this must be the rifle in question http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

I will be running a can, it will be a ASE North Star or a A-Tec.
And the stock will be exchanged for a AICS system.

I changed the stock on my SPS V the same day i got it, i had a HS-Precision waiting for it. The standard SPS stocks are pants!

I live in the UK, Somerset

Is it easier for you all in the UK to buy a suppressor?? Do some businesses have them in stock and you can just walk in and go buy them of the shelf??

It's a total pain in the rear to get them over here in the US. I'm currently waiting for the paperwork to come back for a .223 can for my wife's AR rifle.

Grim, ALL firearms & Shotguns are only to be owned under strict License over here, you must have a Shotgun Certificate to own a Shotgun up 3 cartridge capacity. Then a Firearms Certificate for all FAC rated rifles, thats over 12ftlbs of energy.

The Firearms Liscenses arnt easy to get either. You need 2 referees to to write nice letters to the police about you & interviews, no criminal record & mental health problems, you must sign to allow them to contact your Doctor & see your records.

And if you get granted one, When applying for each calibre you must state "good reason" to own each. i.e the .308 im getting is down for "Deer & Fox control"

Also, if i wish to use a moderator i must state on the aplication that i wish to use a moderator on said rifle, even tho it is not a essential part to work a firearm, the sale of one is still recorded on your certificate.

Your issueing police force must also be notified within 7 days of the transaction buy/sell of a firearm, if not you may get a officer knocking at your door!!

Moderators are widely avaliable in the UK, most good gun shops will keep a selection of rim fire mods & some centrefire. If not you can usually get one sent to your local RFD - Rigistered Firearms Dealer, next day.

Ok - I take back how much of a pain in the rear getting a suppressor over here is.

Draconian rules over there !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varminteruk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grim, hey, Thanks for that.

Thats what it will be, a SPS Tac with the 1/10 twist.

ahhhh this must be the rifle in question http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

I will be running a can, it will be a ASE North Star or a A-Tec.
And the stock will be exchanged for a AICS system.

I changed the stock on my SPS V the same day i got it, i had a HS-Precision waiting for it. The standard SPS stocks are pants!

I live in the UK, Somerset </div></div>

That's it. If I had it to do over again, this would be the Remmy I would buy. I currently have the SPS-T and shoot it regularly at 600 yards at MOA size steel with regular hits. These rifles shoot quite well and with hand loads are very accurate. There are people on here shooting the 208 Amax out of 20" 1/12 twist barrels and having success but others like myself that can't get them to shoot well. All the guys using 1/10 twist don't have that problem. Go with the 1/10 if that's an option and never look back.

Im starting to look at some of the build componemts, for my picatinny rail should i use a 20moa rail? or different moa?

Im new to the .308 and need some advice.

20 MOA is the correct MOA rail. This is because 30 or 40 MOA rails are often hard to zero up close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varminteruk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Im starting to look at some of the build componemts, for my picatinny rail should i use a 20moa rail? or different moa?

Im new to the .308 and need some advice. </div></div>

So long as you don't get a scope with say 50 MOA internal adjustments, 20 will be sufficient.