• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

expected accuracy on new Model 700 Vamint?

Sgt_P

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
South Carolina
Long time lurking, first post...

I'm not sure I can pass up the Model 700 deal at the local Dicks. I'm not too familiar with bolt guns, but want to add to my inventory and slowly upgrade/mod to a tack-driver!

They are offering a $449 deal on a 24" heavy contour barrel Varmint. The stock doesn't have a floor plate, and the rifle comes with a cheap scope.

What accuarcy can be expected after some quality glass, and a little break-in?
Is this a good entry level model?

Semper Fidelis

Re: expected accuracy on new Model 700 Vamint?

I got the Sps-v in .308 with a 26" barrel with 168 Amax factory loads it shoot .5MOA, slightly smaller with the same bullet handloaded. The factory trigger was stiff but clean, wouldn't adjust under 4, replaced, factory stock flexes allot, it shot those groups before any changes, a Timney and a Bell & Carlson made it more consistent. I think its a fine place to start for precision shooting.

the stock on the rifle is horrible fix that have a supper shooter out of box for the money, i believe their a video thread in gunsmithing on bedding a action, its done on a varmint, check it out.. the narrator is a Scottish guy then you'll know you have the correct video set, its like 9 parts or something

I have a Rem 700 sps-v and was able to shrink my groups from .75 to about .5 just by swapping the factory plastic stock with a bell and carlson tactical medalist.

I have a Varmint in .223 and it is incredibly accurate... Shoots under a dime all day at 100 yds with handloads. Mine was bought new in 1988, though. So who knows what quality has done since. I can tell you it was a lot more than $449 and that was in 1988 dollars!

As someone said above, the original wood stock was a mess. Every time the weather changed, the POI walked all over the place. I'd shoot a great group, come back a week later and the group moved several inches. Still a tight group, but not where it should have been.

Changed out to a polymer stock and it is dead on all the time.

They are fine rifles out of the box. They also love handloaders... however it shoots with factory ammo... it will shoot better w. handloading. Much better.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b7tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps-v and was able to shrink my groups from .75 to about .5 just by swapping the factory plastic stock with a bell and carlson tactical medalist. </div></div>

Did you bed it or did you just install it?

Thanks for all the input!

I did have one error, it's a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">26"</span></span> 1/12 Heavy Contour barrel.

But for a beginning platform, I think I'll jump in.

Next stop new stock and good glass...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DernHumpus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b7tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps-v and was able to shrink my groups from .75 to about .5 just by swapping the factory plastic stock with a bell and carlson tactical medalist. </div></div>

Did you bed it or did you just install it?</div></div>

Dropped it right in. I may end up bedding it in the future though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt_P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What accuarcy can be expected after some quality glass, and a little break-in?

Is this a good entry level model?</div></div>

Purchased this action as my wife's competition rifle. It's in a XLR Chassis and it works well.

It IS a low end factory rifle. Never forget that. You can get excellent accuracy or mediocre accuracy. Ask on the gun boards and you will hear lots of "1/2 MOA all day, if I do my part" kind of comments. Rarely will you see the claims backed up by a 5x5 grouping target.

It's a good rifle, doesn't need any "break in" and it will generally shoot better than those who are buying it are capable of. It needs better glass and a better stock to shoot to the limit of the action's capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt_P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input!

I did have one error, it's a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">26"</span></span> 1/12 Heavy Contour barrel.

But for a beginning platform, I think I'll jump in.

Next stop new stock and good glass... </div></div>

The Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 was on sale at Dick's for $199, same price as the Buckmaster for better glass... Though I'm not sure if that was a standard or BDC reticle?

Don't forget about the $20/40 gift card rebate on Remington products from Dick's as well as the 10% new account bonus discount if you open their charge account. I usually open one, pay it off, close it and by the time I head back to Dick's for another large buy I can open another account for the bonus again...

If you take the base $499 price - 10% (new CC account) you're down to $450, minus the $50 rebate from Remington to $400... You also get a Dick's/Remington rebate for a $20 gift card with what you're buying or drop another $50 in Remington stuff (ammo, cleaning kit, etc..) and get $40 back. Worst case you're at $380 for the rifle.

I'd suggest asking them NOT to mount the base & bore sight the included scope since it will make reselling the items easier (new in the packaging and all). The 4-12x40mm scope they include looks like an OK / low-end Bushnell, bases are Leupold Rifleman 2-pc and the rings are no-name medium height jobs. Figuring you sell these plus the original stock and end up getting $50-$75 that should put the cost of the rifle right around $300... find yourself a set of take-off bottom metal for $50 or so and you've now got a BDL style action & barrel ready to drop in your choice of stocks for $350 which isn't a bad day.

Most of the local gunsmiths near me will do a cut and recrown for $50-$75 if you want the barrel cut to a custom length (22/20/18, etc..). I went 18" myself but I'm planning to use the rifle for hunting/varminting and target shooting inside of 600 yards. Good luck with the project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b7tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DernHumpus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b7tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps-v and was able to shrink my groups from .75 to about .5 just by swapping the factory plastic stock with a bell and carlson tactical medalist. </div></div>

Did you bed it or did you just install it?</div></div>

Dropped it right in. I may end up bedding it in the future though. </div></div>

Thanks for the good info. That will probably speed up my stock purchase. I just bought a timney straight trigger in the nickel plated. No one has the regular straight on in stock (that I could find).

Here's my 700 SPSS in 308 it actually shoots pretty good when I had the plastic stock mounted, shot a 1.5" 5 shot group @200yds with 178HPBTs, if you dont mind the factory stock itll do a good job, I didnt care for it much so I got a H-S PSV096 as you can see in the pic, itll easily shoot under 2.5" @300yds (5 shots) with anything from 155 -168AMAXs and 178HPBTs. Burris 6-24 Sig, Jewell trigger, TPS rings and bases.
265705-R1-22-23.jpg

Thank you gentlemen!

I bought the 308, and have the $50 rebate coming, and a $10 credit for doing their little membership thingy. I just couldn't bring myself to do the CC sign-up. So $499 - 60 = $439+tax ain't bad...

I took it to the range today, and broke in the barrel, and sighted in the little scope it came with. (I know some debate the barrel break-in, but I'm old school, and it works out with sighting in, and getting to know the weapon...)

Wow! What a great trigger! I love a single stage, and this thing fits my trigger pull perfectly. I was using Fed Gold Metal Match 168gr's and it seemed to like them. All holes were touching at 100 yards, and was easily at 1moa at 300 yards, even though I ran out of light for the crappy little scope.

I can tell I need to do some work (chassis, glass, bipod, etc). But, WOW, great right out of the box!

I didn't take pictures, but will try to get to the range this weekend to do a 5x5 report.

Thanks for the input, I'm pleased with my newest stick!

I did make it to the range this weekend, but didn't have enough match ammo to produce a true 5x5 (poor planning on my part.) 100 yard range, wooden benches, firing from sandbags.

I fired at the center first, and then the upper right, using Federal Gold Medal Match 168's. I finished up with American Eagles 150 FMJ-BT's on the upper left, lower right, and lower left, in that order.

You can see that the match 168's are pretty good, but switching to the cheaper stuff cause the print to suffer.

Better planning for next weekend, should prove better results. But new glass and stock are a ways off (but obviously needed...)

1_12_11_11_10_02_30.jpeg

How did you break the barrel in?? That can have everything to do with accuracy I would say around 50% better groupings