• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expected MOA from an out of the Box Remington

texasvmi

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
WHERE EVER UNCLE SAM SENDS ME
The title say it all, pretty much. What kind of MOA accuracy can you expect from an out of the box, brand new (barrel Broken in) Remington 700? Laughter is acceptable, but it doesn't answer the question. If I can get 1MOA out of a Commercial Off The Shelf Remington 700 why mess with the accuracy (unless I start pushing 500 or more yards?) Thanks

Re: Expected MOA from an out of the Box Remington

My wifes Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 223 was a less than 1 MOA out of the box. Most will perform well beyond the shooters ability

not all straight out of the box, but you get the point!

223 Rem, Model VSF (new Stainless model) came from LE center with PSS stock. Sold stock replaced with McM A5 no bedding. Will shoot .300 to .500 with reloads. Had issues with bolt face NIB figured I would shoot it before contacting Remington turned out to be a good idea.

308 XCR LR tactical, Sold stock and replaced first with AICS and then McM a5, Rifle is a 1/2 MOA constant rifle.

308 SPS tactical #1 Replaced hogue stock with B&C light varmint or whatever stock. .75 MOA rifle average.

308 SPS tactical #2 I acquired it in the AICS I put my XCR LR into. Rifle would do 1/2-3/4 moa with black hills 168

Original Blued model Sendero 7mm Rem mag. Bone stock with reloads would do 3/4moa

308 PSS bone stock would do 1/2-3/4 moa with BH and Fed GM

260 Rem 1-1.5MOA out of the box, bedded it and with some decent load work got that down to a constant 1/2MOA

243 Rem ADL (old cheap factory stock) 1MOA with factory and was able to get a little better with hand loads. Replaced factory stock with HS Precision and rifle turned into quite the little game getter

260 Model 7 Had accuracy issues at first but replaced cheap stock with HS and it turned right around. under 1MOA and a very handy small rifle.

I have had pretty good luck with Remy's, yes there are some QC problems but with some decent reloads you should expect under 1MOA in most cases if the conditions are right. Since I have switch away from most optics and went to Leups my groups have improved.

I have a couple built in odd calibers etc, but that wouldn't be an out of the box experience, neither would most that I have listed but you can see in most cases a small change will make a big difference.

Rem 700 SPS 20" shot .78 out of the box for me. I upgraded everything and got it down to .589.

Anyone ever had a remington that wasn't a shooter??????? I'm talking a total POS that wouldn't shoot for nothing.

Its all in the ammo. Shoot good factory and they will shoot moa, find a sweet load using matchkings or scenars and most will shoot sub moa, shoot cheap crap ammo and get crap results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasvmi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The title say it all, pretty much. What kind of MOA accuracy can you expect from an out of the box, brand new (barrel Broken in) Remington 700? Laughter is acceptable, but it doesn't answer the question. If I can get 1MOA out of a Commercial Off The Shelf Remington 700 why mess with the accuracy (unless I start pushing 500 or more yards?) Thanks</div></div>

For the most part, accuracy is about the shooter perfecting his relationship between the gun and ground. Unless the gun is broken, executing the firing task consistently will produce good results if the shooter can resolve where the barrel is pointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever had a remington that wasn't a shooter??????? I'm talking a total POS that wouldn't shoot for nothing. </div></div>

Yes... I had one of the older 700 varmints in .308 which wouldn't group anything less than three inches. It was a POS. It happens.

Lee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longbow_06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever had a remington that wasn't a shooter??????? I'm talking a total POS that wouldn't shoot for nothing. </div></div>

Yes... I had one of the older 700 varmints in .308 which wouldn't group anything less than three inches. It was a POS. It happens.

Lee.</div></div>

Your rifle was broken, I suspect a barrel subject to warping as it heated up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever had a remington that wasn't a shooter??????? I'm talking a total POS that wouldn't shoot for nothing. </div></div>

Yes. I had one 700 CDL in 30-06 that fit this bill, and my bro has a new SPS-V in .308 that does. Won't hold less than 1.5 MOA with Black Hills Match ammo and fully benched on a no wind day. I talk to guys all the time at shops where one guy has a new SPS or Varmint that shoots lights out and the next guy can't hold a minute with FGMM and in a Lead Sled. When just about any pencil-barreled Savage or T/C Venture will shoot sub MOA right out of the box ... that ain't good.

All my older 700s were excellent for the time they were made. Usually around 1" with good ammo. But new non mil/LE model 700s (SPS, LTR, Varmint, etc.) appear to be hit or miss as near as I can tell. Welcome to the new Remington.
frown.gif

Oh ... I did shoot a three-shot (.308 SMK handloads) group with my latest 7600 measuring under an inch. About .800 (used a steel tape to measure it). Was pretty impressive.
smile.gif

I guess with the New Remington, as the guy at Ed's Gun Shop said: "You pays ya money ... ya takes ya chances."
smile.gif

i thought i had some target pics before i did anything to my 308 varmint sps. seems like it was .75"-1". I'm not that great of a shot so it possibly could have done better.

I have a 700 varmint 308, stock model 7 260, stock 700 30-06 ADL, and a buddy has a stock model 7 7mm-08. they will all hold under 1" at 100 yd except for the 30-06. Never can get it under 1.25"

most of all the Remington 700's that I have purchased were 1 - 3/4 MOA out of the box but with a little tweaking you can get them to 1/2 consitently if you do your job. You can bed the stock, crown the barrel or even change the stock. Get a trigger job and you are good to go until you burnout the barrel and then you can replace with a match barrel. Spend the money on Ammo.