• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Explanation of mrad?

SLED Sniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
I understand MOA but I want to further understand mrad. How do the clicks compare to MOA? What is 1mrad at 100yds? Or is it the same as MOA?

Re: Explanation of mrad?

An mrad is a milliradian, which is 1/1000 of a radian. At X distance, one radian equals an arc of X. So an mrad at X distance "covers" a space of X/1000.

Example: at 100 metres one mrad equals 0.1 metres.

Most scopes have clicks in 0.1 mrad or 1/10000 radian. Which at 100 metres would be one centimeter.

But you really should never think in terms of "clicks," but rather angular measurements. So, if my bullet impacts four centimetres low at 100 metres:

I should NOT think: I need to bring it up 4 clicks.
I SHOULD think: I need to bring it up 0.4 mrads.

And then simply turn the turret/dial to increase by 0.4 mrads. Never listen and count clicks, as this will cause error, be slow, and is just plain dumb.

I didnt mean "clicks" I just used the wrong term. It sounds complicated but the more I write down and study it i think I'll get the hang of it.

Trust me you do not understand MOAs, if I asked you how much 1click of a 1/4moa knob moves the point of impact(POI) at 100 yards you would say 1/4 inch, no matter what distance the correct answer is 1/4moa, 10 feet, 100 miles, POI is always 1/4moa, nowhere is inches in the answer, now if you use the same mind set with MRADs and forget about measurements you think you understand and start thinking what angle do I need to dial in my scope to hit the target at xxxx distance. MRADs are pretty much universal, every single scope manufacture on the planet makes a Mil Dot based reticle scope, most offer .1MRAD adjustable knobs.

Read Fredo post, it's from Lowlights blog
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1851301&gonew=1#UNREAD

I understand moas more so than mrad. I'm just getting confused bc I've always used 1/4 MOA and just got a mrad NF scope and I am just wanting to understand how it compares to my records of MOA. Not trying to sound like an idiot. I'm just trying to ask simple questions without confusing others on here

Take your MOA dope and divide by 3.43 and you now have your Mrad dope.

It's exactly the same only in 1/10th of a mil instead of a 1/4 of an inch.

A mil is a mil, and there is no need to give it a linear value. What you see in the reticle is correct regardless of the distance. An example, shoot a group at 100 yards look in the reticle, if the reticle shows you need 1.4 mils to center you dial 1.4 on the turret. By the same token if you shoot a similar group at 833 yards and looking in the reticle you need 1.4 mils to reach center you dial 1.4 mils. The linear value is irrelevant. A mil is a mil.

Look at the reticle and mils as pennies, a nickel and dimes. 10 pennies, a nickel is a .5 mil, and the mil is a dime. The turret matches that exactly.

Reactions: Earnhardt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take your MOA dope and divide by 3.43 and you now have your Mrad dope.

It's exactly the same only in 1/10th of a mil instead of a 1/4 of an inch.

A mil is a mil, and there is no need to give it a linear value. What you see in the reticle is correct regardless of the distance. An example, shoot a group at 100 yards look in the reticle, if the reticle shows you need 1.4 mils to center you dial 1.4 on the turret. By the same token if you shoot a similar group at 833 yards and looking in the reticle you need 1.4 mils to reach center you dial 1.4 mils. The linear value is irrelevant. A mil is a mil.

Look at the reticle and mils as pennies, a nickel and dimes. 10 pennies, a nickel is a .5 mil, and the mil is a dime. The turret matches that exactly. </div></div>

This may have turned on the light bulb.

I have a mil scope on order and my current experience is based on Garand sights and 03 leaf sights.

I've been hung up on "A mil is equal to 3.4 +/-" and expecting I'lll need a calculator to adjust the scope.

Changing dope isnt a mental excercise its visual. Read my mil scale on the reticle (mine will be MSR) and just make the required correction. If I can read the scale provided I can convert that into turns of the dial.

All the answers are in the eyepiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's 10 pennies </div></div>

a mil

A Penny = .1 Mils

A Nickel = .5 Mils

A Dime = 1.0 Mils

You divide all mil reticles up into 10, looking at each click on the turret as 1/10th, where 10 clicks equals 1 mil

When looking at your dope based off a 100 yard zero.

200 yards = .5 Mils
300 yards = 1.5 Mils
400 yards = 2.2 Mils
500 yards = 3.6 Mils

And so on, (roughly based a 175gr 308)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLED Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was in scout sniper training we all had S&B all 32 of us. </div></div>

Did you sleep though that part of school

Lol my brother was on putting his input in. I wasn't in the scout sniper training. He just graduated from it. I can't understand him though. He's explanations leave me brain dead. He will put waaaaaaayyyyyy too much math into it and start talking about coefficients and using crazy calculations.

A pitcher is supposed to be worth a thousand words...the angles relative to the circle are greatly exaggerated for the purpose of illustration.

Slide1-10.jpg