• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing explosive .243 round

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
im looking for the most explosive .243 round they make, im going to be doing some target practice soon on some birds and would love to have some little bombs, they will be used for yotes too, thanks yall

Re: explosive .243 round

I don't know if it's the most explosive, and I'm sure somebody will disagree with me but the 87 grn. vmax i love. Puts a hurtin on the dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308155</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if it's the most explosive, and I'm sure somebody will disagree with me but the 87 grn. vmax i love. Puts a hurtin on the dogs. </div></div>

I don't disagree
wink.gif

those 87's will turn'em inside out
sick.gif

Just got a 243, I have had everything else. I have the 1-10 twist is that good for the 87 gr vmax?

Probably any of the thin jacketed stuff like the VMax's or Blitzkings will blow things up nicely. If you are looking for that explosive effect I wouldn't use Nosler Balistic Tips. They are a far bit stouter bullet and don't have that explosive effect like do the others but if your shooting something with a fast twist and very high FPS the Nosler's are a better choice because they have a higher FPS ceiling than do the vmax and blitzkings and won't blow up before they get to the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have the 1-10 twist is that good for the 87 gr vmax? </div></div>

You will be good to go.

You could run the 75VMAX faster than the 87. Their performance should be, well, sufficient.

i also tear up critters with the 75vmax coming out the .243WSSM, havent tried any of them, but how bout the Varmint Grenades? I hear crazy things about those, but like i said, never shot em. what size of bird are you lookin to pop? barn swallows? pigeon? chicken? turkey?

I'm running 70 Noslers in my 9.25" twist and getting 3460's out of them. They rarely exit groundhogs, sometimes as close as 50 yds, but mostly from 100yds out. 65 V-maxes are pretty fragile too. A 10" twist should like anything in the 65-87gr. range. My buddies 10" twist Cooper loves the 70 Sierra BK's.

"Barnes Varmint Grenade® Lead-free Varmint Grenade™ bullets feature a highly frangible, copper-tin composite core. Remain intact at ultra-high velocities, yet fragment explosively on impact. They virtually vaporize ground squirrels and prairie dogs, while leaving valuable coyote and bobcat pelts intact. Sniper-like accuracy for dependable long-range kills."

http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/products/6mm-243-62-gr-vg-fb-1-10-twist-or-faster-box-of-100

These will do what you want. Red mist specials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Barnes Varmint Grenade® Lead-free Varmint Grenade™ bullets feature a highly frangible, copper-tin composite core. Remain intact at ultra-high velocities, yet fragment explosively on impact. They virtually vaporize ground squirrels and prairie dogs, while leaving valuable coyote and bobcat pelts intact. Sniper-like accuracy for dependable long-range kills."

http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/products/6mm-243-62-gr-vg-fb-1-10-twist-or-faster-box-of-100

These will do what you want. Red mist specials. </div></div>

yep...thats them. +4 cause +1000 is silly

Thanks for the info! Had to buy a 243 the 7mm Rmag was too much for the yotes!

The 58gr VMax isn't to friendly on them either. It's available as factory ammo. I was also loading it in a 243AI at about 4160fps. Fur buyer asked me not to bring him any more like that.

Speer makes a 70gr "TNT" bullet in .243. It is awesome. I have used the bullet in .308 and it really is explosive. It completely took the head off a a coyote at 60 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">87s are wicked. </div></div>

INDEED

Just how explosive do you need. This dog was shot with a 6x47 Lapua at 75 yards. The dog was sitting down facing me with the shot taken on her center chest. 70grn Nosler BT

100_0608.jpg

Kevin

Top pic is a chest shot....yep...facing towards me. Hit in the chest and exited by it nutz. Opened em up stem to stern....the bullet? Hornady 75gr hollow point.

Shot was at 125 +/- yards.

Middle pic bottom yote side shot same ammo at 100 yards.

Last pic...bottom yote hit as it was quartered away from me at 120 yards.

Take care,Stan

Nosler 55g over Varget. 4250 fps from my .243AI. Red Mist for the critters.

Why would you want to "explode" a coyote or bobcat? Don't you want a small entrance hole and no exit hole? The above pictures look like a lot of unnecessary damage.

I can understand blowing up a prairie dog or any other animal you are exterminating and just leaving the body to rot...

Do you guys not keep the skins on your yotes?

Solid question,

I only use pelt friendly bullets (FMJ.:s) when the pelt is ok,

this is for fox only and ergo

between late september and februari,

the rest of the year, the pelts are no good and then I have used, 110 Sierra varmint in a 308 also 110 V-max and now lately 6 mm TCU and 58/65/75 grains V-max,

the 75 is a rather slow bullet in the TCU and will not really blow things up rather than just kill it.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could run the 75VMAX faster than the 87. Their performance should be, well, sufficient. </div></div>
Sufficient but not quite "explosive", i've shot "wild cats" as well as groundhogs. Both deader than heck but neither was very explosive.

As Darren said, the 75's run faster. I shot a lot of 75's and some 87's from my 6mm-223. They are both excellent, the 243 has the capacity for either, but if you want EXPLODING birds, look at the little 58 or 65 Vmax's....

I've dusted some birds and squirrels with 65's fom the 6-223 adn they're simply awesome, from a 243 I can only imagine how it would work. Post pics of the smear that's left when you try them
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i also tear up critters with the 75vmax coming out the .243WSSM, havent tried any of them, but how bout the Varmint Grenades? I hear crazy things about those, but like i said, never shot em. what size of bird are you lookin to pop? barn swallows? pigeon? chicken? turkey? </div></div>

I run the V-Gren's from my 204 Ruger in 26gr trim, and they turn eggs into a mist, the residue that's left on the stump is cooked eggwhite, enough energy is imparted to the albumen that it turns white.

Accurate enough (1/2ish inch @ 100y) and 4500 fps MV's