• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes exporting scopes to NZ

discovery1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
christchurch New Zealand
Does anyone know the truth about exporting scopes out of the USA?

Is a NF 5.5-22x56 NPR1 classed and millatry spec? seems like lots of talk about nightvision and mil dot, and some sites dont mention any permits needed at atall.

Thanks for you thought or experience with this.

Re: exporting scopes to NZ

If you have any friends in the states just have them purchase it and DHL it to you.

While it's not technically illegal to ship that particular scope overseas to friendly countries the law is somewhat gray and customs as a lot of latitude in confiscation. I know of at least one guy who had an old leupold vari-x confiscated by US customs; occasionally they open a box to inspect the contents and he was unlucky. It was a duplex reticule hunting model on its way to Canada.

So to be brief is someone in the US were to ship it to you via common carrier in a box marked "telescope" for customs it would probably get to you BUT I wouldn't do it unless you're willing to eat it on the $$$$ if/when customs takes it.

edit: call around to various places like Libertyoptics.com and SWFA.com I think they have export licenses and can ship to you without a hassle.

There are stiff penalties for shipping ITAR products out of the US without the correct permits. Best contact Dave's Sports in Lynden, WA, these guys are State Department licensed exporters and can ship overseas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: discovery1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know the truth about exporting scopes out of the USA?

Is a NF 5.5-22x56 NPR1 classed and millatry spec? seems like lots of talk about nightvision and mil dot, and some sites dont mention any permits needed at atall.

Thanks for you thought or experience with this. </div></div>

I don't think that is the problem with NF.
You can easily get a MK4 in from the States.
NF have fairly strict selling area restictions.
ie DED are the only NF agents/disributors that are supposed to be able to sell NF scopes here.
Obviously if you knew someone in the States & they bought one & sent it to you that is a little different to say Euro Optics sending one direct to you.

After many phone calls to the dept of commerce and state dept and e mails, its seems like it should be ok, shops selling scopes seem to be 50/50, it depends on the country you exporting to.

Well. It's easy.
You go to retailer who stock scopes and sells them abroad (any large online shop do that)
You e-mail sales department and ask them to sell you the scope with exporting to NZ for <span style="font-weight: bold">personal use</span>
Guys ask your details and make export licience for your name and address for your scope model (it's valid for 2 years, so it's good idea to make this export licience for 2 or 3 various scopes you <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">might</span></span> want to buy in this next 2 years)

After licience is done (it'll take 2-3 weeks) sales person will ask you to verify that you agree with terms & conditions of the licience and after that they will be able legally export the scope from the US.

The licience will look like:

PS
importing scopes into NZ can be another story - you should check your local laws regarding 'dual use' items
PPS
If your friend will DHL NF to you whithout licience (he also can make export licience as online shops do) he might get to jail. So i think it's not the best proposal to a friend.

hi, thanks for the post VTB I think you needed a licence because you were wanting Holographic sight and the destination was Russia, New Zealand is in the friendly list for the USA.
i am still waiting to here back from Nightforce.

Vtb after a phone call to the dept of commerce who are very helpfull, she told me exporting to NZ would be ok without a licence, I also came across this on another forum.
oh and 'pink glasses' Rose tinted of course.

Ufff... this one is a nightmare!!

I stand to be corrected if we have a Trade Compliance Professional on the site - and more to the point also being accused of being something of an anorak - but here's my take on things.

There are 40 countries that have signed up to the Wassenaar Agreement on Export Control for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods & Technologies (see http://www.wassenaar.org/index.html). According to this agreement,
every item has what's called an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) that determines the level of export control. In the US these export controls are administered by the Department of Commerce

Riflescopes for hunting, etc are classified as Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) 0A987. This from the US Bureau of Industry & Security website:

What is the ECCN for riflescopes or hunting scopes?
ECCN 0A987 controls specific sighting devices, their associated optical elements, and adjustment mechanisms. Please see the entry for a detailed description of what is controlled. Sighting devices that are not specified in this ECCN or elsewhere on the Commerce Control List, and are not suject to the jurisdiction of the Department of State, are EAR99.

The full text of ECCN 0A987 can be found here: http://www.uptodateregs.com/_eccn/ECCN.asp?ECCN=0A987 but basically the list of items controlled includes:

a. Telescopic sights.
b. Holographic sights.
c. Reflex or ``red dot'' sights.
d. Reticle sights.
e. Other sighting devices that contain optical elements.
f. Laser pointing devices designed for use on firearms.
g. Lenses, other optical elements and adjustment mechanisms for articles in paragraphs a, b, c, d or e.

So pretty much anything we stalkers might be interested in!

Knowing that these items are controlled, we then need to look at cross-referencing the ECCN with the country that we are trying to export them to. For this we can access the Commerce Control List here: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...view=text&node=15:2.1.3.4.24.0.1.5.27&idno=15

Now items under ECCN 0A987 are controlled under the Firearms Convention (FC), Crime Control (CC) and the United Nations Arms Embargo (UN). For our purposes, we only need to look at FC and CC (presuming you don't live in Iraq, North Korea or Uganda ;))

If we go down the CCL until we get to Canada we see that there is an "X" in the box under FC1, so an export license is required.

If we look at the United Kingdom,(New zealand) however, there is no "X", so theoretically we could export the scope to the UK. Note the use of the word "theoretically".

Unfortunately, because you knowingly want to export the scope to Canada via the UK if BIS found out they would come down on you like the proverbial tonne of bricks! That aside, as a result of a number of high profile cases where sporting goods outfitters have been prosecuted under US Export Regulations, the chances of any of them exporting a scope to the UK without a license is slim anyway.

To make things even more complicated, if you want to export a scope with a 'tactical' reticle then you face another issue. The International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR) details the regulations covering the export of defence related equipment. In the US, those goods and technologies that constitute "defence related equipment" is governed by the US Munitions List (USML), which can be found here: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/consolidated_itar/Part_121.pdf

Under Section 121.1 (General), Category I(f) states that included in the USML are:

Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications

The trick being that no-one can decide what "military specifications" actually means. The net result, however, is that your chances of getting a scope exported that has a Mil-Dot reticle or similar are minimal at best.

The good news (I saved this until last) is that mounts for optical sights are classified as EAR99, so there are no export controls in place on them
wink.gif

You need to be a federally licensed exporter to export these products out of the US period. It's not a gray area.

Straight from Leupold's website:<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"> We are required under U.S. law to obtain an export license to ship riflescopes oversea</span>s. </span>

Straight from Nightforce's website: http://nightforceoptics.com/NFO_Intl_Warranty_and_Service_Procedure.pdf

If the export license requirement applies to manufacturers it will also apply to general retail stores. Not only do you run the risk of getting the scope confiscated you also run the risk of landing the retailer you buy from with a hefty fine.