• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extended gas system

cshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
Springfield, MO
Fcs mentioned in one of my other topics about an extended gas system. basically all I know about them is they exist. My google skills failed me and didn't turn up much so what are the advantages to extending the gas system. Also is it a set size for the gas port for the extended length to keep th timing right
Cedrake

Re: Extended gas system

No, it is not a set size but more dependant upon cartridge, bullet, and powder you plan to use.

6.5 Grendel chambering, I'd suggest you talk to Steve Satern on the +2" gas system port size along with bullet and powder you plan on using. E-mail would be best as I've not had much luck getting Steve on the phone.

Benefit of extended gas sytem is that you reduce port pressure, retard unlocking bolt, and allow case to come off chamber walls a bit more before attempting to extract.

http://www.ar15performance.com/home
"...The mid gas system allows more time for the pressure in the chamber to lower making extraction easier, easier extraction means less stress on the bolt, carrier and extractor. The extractor may be the single most broken part, if the extractor breaks the rifle stops running. The mid length gas system also softens the recoil impulse felt by the operator..."
While above quote is for 16" CAR vs. mid-length the same priniples are in play when going from 20" to 24" barrel with the 6.5 Grendel.