• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extractor Question

lw8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
TN
I am looking to replace the bolt on my 700 (300 win mag) with a 1 piece unit from PTG but I was unsure as to which extractor would be optimal. Is the M-16 style more reliable than the Sako or the original Remington version?

Re: Extractor Question

While both are supposedly an improvement over the Remington, I personally have yet to have a Remington let me down, and I have a rifle with several thousand rounds though it.

+1^^^^^ What he said.

I've run a 300 Win. Mag. for the last year or so now with over 1000 rounds down the pipe and not a problem yet with the factory Remington extractor in this rifle. Actually the barrel has worn out first.

this is the first im hearing of the remington extractor being an issue... not that my knowledge is any indication of reality. but anyways... ive never had an issue.

Well, I don't know if the factory Rem extractor is so bad as to warrant replacement if its working. It sounds as though he is purchasing a aftermarket bolt where he has options, and in that case I'd opt for a different extractor over the factory syle, without question.

Kirk R

There's nothing wrong with a factory Remington extractor.

The only reason to replace it:

10+ years ago when WSM cartridges came out and the big magnums, guys wanted to change without having to buy a new bolt/receiver.
Opening the bolt face was easy, the extractor wasn't.

So, the Sako "upgrade" was born. Now it's just "cool" to have.

Until you sneeze a case and it flies out of the gun and rips your face off.

It happens as it was never intended to go into 90* twin lug receivers.

So now the new kid on the block is the AR-15 style. It works well and doesn't fly out the gun and rip your face off when you sneeze a case.

So, be cool and get the AR-15 type. Or be plain jane and get the factory one. Both work very well.

Good luck!

C.

PS:
Don't get the Sako.

+1 for m-16. Just make sure the pin is installed properly so it doesnt come loose and lock up your action. Also make sure your barrel is clearanced so that there is enough room for the extractor to pop over the rim. Or you could just keep a couple extra rem extractors in you kit. I routinely change them out and have never had an issue. It takes less than one minute to do the exchange with a small screw driver.

I've had several remington extractors fail. Really put the fear of God into me. What if those failures had been in the middle of an emergency situation?

That's why I harp so much about Mauser/pre-64 Winchester model 70 extractors that are so reliable. And also Howa actions that come with the M-16 type extractors straight from the factory. It's not a matter of being cool for me. It's all about being able to rely on my gear 110%.

Does the M-16 style extractor fit the rim of a 300 win mag without modification?

It seems like it wouldn't fit as well as it fits the 5.56 which would limit its contact with the brass...and cause issues.

It is a regular Mil-Spec M-16 extractor right?

I might be overthinking this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with a factory Remington extractor.

The only reason to replace it:

10+ years ago when WSM cartridges came out and the big magnums, guys wanted to change without having to buy a new bolt/receiver.
Opening the bolt face was easy, the extractor wasn't.

So, the Sako "upgrade" was born. Now it's just "cool" to have.

Until you sneeze a case and it flies out of the gun and rips your face off.

It happens as it was never intended to go into 90* twin lug receivers.

So now the new kid on the block is the AR-15 style. It works well and doesn't fly out the gun and rip your face off when you sneeze a case.

So, be cool and get the AR-15 type. Or be plain jane and get the factory one. Both work very well.

Good luck!

C.

PS:
Don't get the Sako. </div></div>

Thanks Chad, your perspective is always appreciated.

Question- I understand that PTG offers their bolts oversized so that a smith can open up the raceways and have a tighter fit on request. Also, they offer one piece or two piece depending on whether you want the handle attached from the factory. As a smith, which do you prefer?

Go with the single piece bolt for sure. It's just too good of a deal not to. This way all the features are taken care of at once the right way.

I don't even offer to install extractors/bolt handles much anymore. I'd much rather see someone with a better piece of gear made right from the start.

Give David a call. 6 weeks to deliver usually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had several remington extractors fail. Really put the fear of God into me. What if those failures had been in the middle of an emergency situation?

That's why I harp so much about Mauser/pre-64 Winchester model 70 extractors that are so reliable. And also Howa actions that come with the M-16 type extractors straight from the factory. It's not a matter of being cool for me. It's all about being able to rely on my gear 110%. </div></div>

CRF actions all the way. I agree on that 110% also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the single piece bolt for sure. It's just too good of a deal not to. This way all the features are taken care of at once the right way.

I don't even offer to install extractors/bolt handles much anymore. I'd much rather see someone with a better piece of gear made right from the start.

Give David a call. 6 weeks to deliver usually. </div></div>

Will do. Any oppinion on oversized bolts that would require fitting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the M-16 style extractor fit the rim of a 300 win mag without modification?

It seems like it wouldn't fit as well as it fits the 5.56 which would limit its contact with the brass...and cause issues.

It is a regular Mil-Spec M-16 extractor right?

I might be overthinking this... </div></div>
these require modifications and/or re-design of the extractors to work with magnums. Check out Howa rifles. They make their bolts with this type of extractor regardless of the (centerfire) caliber. Magnum included.

I have a 1966 Remington 40x 308 win that I had Kampfeld Kustoms put a Sako style extractor on,and I can tell you its a total waist of money,it DOES NOT extract any better than the factory Remington one did,I was not having any problems with the factory one at all,I simply fell for the Sako extractor is better B.S............

I just posted this in another thread but I will never again change out the extractor on a Remington. I think they work just fine, and they are easily replacable (Magnum aside which needs staking).

Didn't the Army M24's work for like two decaded before they started to fail in large numbers? I thought I read that somewhere. I would Imagine the Corps had the same experience.

My other issue is the new ejection angle caused by the extractor being placed on top of the lug.

I do like what I have been seeing with some of the new customs which place a claw type extractor underneath the lug.

Ranger, extractors are pretty dumb dumb as compared to scopes and other complex mechanical devices, in my experience i am much more worried about my scope. I am in LE as well so I understand the safety/liability aspect.

Generally speaking, I question a lot of failures I read here and attribute many of them to hot handloads. Camming slightly overloaded cases out of the chamber on a regular basis takes it's toll. Also, case heads expand under heavy loads, whacking the extractor. Users of Sako extractors see this before standard users because the Sako plunger mushrooms, sticking the extractor in the out position when it has had enough.

I friggin hate Sako extractors! Total waste of a hundred bucks.

Do m-16 extractors not fail? I think I remember seeing someone here have the pin come loose and lock up the bolt. The m-16 extractor also needs to be cleaned from time to time to remove debri from under it for proper function. Having said that, I think both the m-16 and remington style are great. If I bought a new bolt it would have an m-16 extractor. Dont assume that just because its an m-16 extractor that all is OK.

Turns out that PTG doesn't sell a long action magnum bolt face version with the standard remington extractor. The only choice is either M-16 or Sako.

So...which is better? What all is involved in fitting an M-16 extractor beyond the cuts to the bolt? Does the extractor itself require mods?

All work to the bolt is done for you by ptg. I have seen problems with sako and believe the m-16 to be a better extractor. You will have to check headspace and make sure that there is enough clearance between the bolt and barrel for the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge.

In my personal opinion the only extractor worth getting excited about is a TG mechanical; advantage being you can headspace with the bolt installed. Advantage to m-16 or sako 85 style would be consistent throw or more predictable extraction on a ramp feed. If I was running a rem style id only double plunger the bolt face for better consistency. But being said advantage to a rem style would be detrimental case failure. The escaping pressure will run down firing pin hole of bolt shroud as opposed to side of bolt face like on a m16 sako style. I loaded some remington brass more than 7 times and saw a rupture like this; should have known due to amount trimmed off but guess I just wanted to see how much money on brass i could save. Happened in a Howa 1500 and fouled the bolt pretty well but still extracted and cleaned up fine and luckily no chamber split or deformation, just a bent extractor. But I could imagine with an unsleeved aluminum action it could have split it. I guess in short for consistency of extraction for a sprung lever system, I lean towards the spring on the lever and not the bolt face. Really probably comes down to planned use for where the advantages will shine. But all systems have an advantage and a disadvantage.