• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing extreme boots for extended hunts sub-zero

yotechsr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2008
beyond
Last time I went out hunting the event only lasted for about 3-4 hours. Just as it was getting good my feet got too cold to stay any longer. Temps were in the single digits. Making matters worse I had a long snowmobile ride home. Same thing happened to me around x-mas hunting coyote. Sucks because I heard them yipping and barking close to me. Two years ago we were in a predator challenge and temps were getting down to -20. I am sick of this inconvenience and trying all this sub par gear. I researched boots and found what is supposed to be one of the warmest boots made but, still agile to walk in. Big sticker price but hopefully worth it.
I know guys are going to chyme in on using this type of boot or this particular warmer/ liner and sock. but I have tried almost everything. I will be the guinea pig for this type of boot in a cold weather still hunting situation and give a review.

Check it out
Maniacs that climb Mt Everest use this or one other similar boot to push summit. This one is supposed to be the warmest.
[img:left]
image-1.jpg
[/img]

Re: extreme boots for extended hunts sub-zero

Any details besides a picture?

Isothermal to -60°C
Lightweight and rugged
Semi-rigid internal shell + Cordura® and evasote upper + integrated Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced with aramid threads + removable liner in aluminised alveolite
Non-compressive tightening
Elastic collar
Easy-to-operate dual zip closure
Insulating foam microcell midsole
Fibreglass and carbon footbed
VIBRAM® outsole
Compatible with all automatic crampon systems
KEY POINTS
Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude and extremely cold conditions.
TECHNOLOGIES
Gore-Tex®
CORDURA®
VIBRAM®
ALVEOLITE
FABRICS
Gore-Tex® Performance
Reinforcements with aramid threads
Outsole : Vibram® MARMOLADA

Here is a little more...
At the very core of the Millet spirit, lies the Everest Summit GTX. The original extreme-cold mountaineering boot has been an essential piece of expedition equipment, aiding alpinists in high-altitude ascents since its inception over 30 years ago. For 2013, the legendary mountaineering boot has been improved, making it lighter, more precisely fit, easier to get in and out of, and as if it wasn’t warm enough already, even warmer.

In a day where more and more people are attempting the world’s highest peaks, gear selection can make or break the experience. Those who are serious about cold weather expeditions, know that protecting one’s feet is key to successful summits. The new Everest Summit GTX features an additional 3mm of insulation without the addition of extra weight to the boot, coming in at an impressive 170 grams lighter than its closest competitor.

Additional improvements have been made with the design of the removable thermal inner boot, now featuring an easier to use lace-up system, an added heel protector, and an Aerogel insole, which acts as a barrier to temperature change. That, coupled with Prima-loft insulation and aluminum, allow the Everest Summit GTX to keep feet protected down to -75 degrees.

Also notable, is the new fit of the Everest, which is more ergonomic in its design. A more snug side fit provides maximum precision when pushing off, so feet are more protected and supported, allowing one to summit with greater ease and comfort. The outer layer of the Everest features a waterproof GORE-TEX gaiter, and Cordura and Superfabric upper as before, but now also includes easy-to-grab Velcro tabs over the zips and a reflective strip around the calf. Seemingly minor adjustments that make all the difference in the world when in the midst of trekking or climbing in extreme elements.

Millet’s team of expert mountain guides have researched and tested the development of the Everest Summit on all of the 8,000m peaks and the Seven Summits, securing Millet as the leader for this category.

“The heel wrapping is precise and the volume of the toe box area is perfect. I never had problems with cold toes and was in extreme weather conditions for all 18 days,” said Francois Damilano, one of Millet’s technical advisors who tested the new Everest Summit GTX on Shishapangma.

Millet’s new Everest Summit GTX can been seen at Summer OR, or by appointment with a Millet rep. For more information, please contact Maro LaBlance, at [email protected].

I sold these and they are very very narrow in fit plus close to $1000. They are not comfortable to walk in with a flat sole that is rigid. They are not the warmest boots on the market, close but not quite. Plus, with improper fit and foot care the warmest boots become cold.

If want to spend serious coin for a serious type of boot: LaSportiva Spantik, I tested these for a full year and made some recommendation for changes. Or Baruntse or Oly Mons the warmest boot on the planet.

How much do you want to spend?
What type of use; hunting = how much stationary, walking, sitting?
What socks and type are you wearing?
What are you using now: boots, socks etc.

Also think Army issue bunny boots or mukluks.

last winter we had -19°c in the farm and i used to work with my lowa mountain boots with bryjne arctic's socks and i had no issue with the cold!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendy300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bunny boots!!! </div></div>
I wish I never got rid of mine.
Like others I have tried just about every "extreme cold" boot and no matter what my toes always get pretty frozen.
Bunny boots are the only ones that ever kept me warm no matter how long I sat or was out.
Liners/wool socks/heated socks/expensive sorrels/winetr boots...nothing works for me like the bunny.

I don't know if you talked about it or not.... but have you tried a very warm/insulated pac type boot? Rather than some goofy "Mt Everest" type boot?

I use Schnees "Extreme" pac boot in very cold conditions here in Wyoming, same as you describe, and they have always been warm and comfortable. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, mid-winter hunting, etc in temps WELL south of zero degrees.

http://www.schnees.com/product/2613/schnees-footwear

This boot, or others like it, are actually designed for exactly what we as hunters/outdoorsmen do. A true alpine mountaineering boot like the one pictured doesn't seem like the best answer for a hunter. Not that it couldn't work, but it's designed for a completely different task.

I promise when coupled with the correct sock system there is no way your feet should get unbearably cold in this boot. For me, it's been super warm in VERY cold conditions even as compared to other pac type boots I've used in the past.

Bottom line, this is an extremely warm boot, and very comfortable too.

Just my $.02

I have a few miles in bunny boots both active and civilian, and while they are great boots for warmth, they are not all that great to hike miles in, even on moderate difficult terrain. Flat easy ground OK but once the terrain starts tipping sideways, the support and slippery sole make for good character building fun. Plus they are are subject to rip, tear and get holes punched in.

Bunny boots on my feet broke in a crease right under my ankle bones that would rub me raw in a few miles. I am not the only who had fit issues either. Most wore them way too big too.

You can use them as waders crossing a creek, remove them, wipe them dry, and down the trail warm feet and all.

The boot system we used on active was; issued mukluk with the white wool liner removed and replaced with the wool liner from issued Lacross pac boots. Once the temps get below zero, the snow pack is dry and loose and there was never much of an issue with mukluks becoming wet from the snow pack. We carried spare liners too. Better at terrain tipped sideways but not much.

Pac boots suffer the same problem, once the terrain tips up they have no ability to support and control.

On moderate terrain and up, nothing beats a good fitting mountaineering boot for warmth, support, control and happy feet. This is the reason we all switched to LaSportive Lhoste boots as our issue boots.

Hunters in Alaska, primarily mountain hunters use mountaineering boots with Scarpa Inverno as the preferred boot. Moose and carbiou hunters too as the terrain leans up, the more support and control is wanted that a true hunting type boot cannot offer. Koflach now owned by Scarpa tend to shred on scree with their soft plastic.

I intend on using these for still hunting. I don't typically walk too far to get into hunting spots and it is usually flat terrain. Thing is I dont move for upwards of 6-8 hours. Carcass hunting!
Here is what brought me to my decision. The la sportiva nepal was what I was initially going to buy. But I wanted something warmer and without laces. Thats why I ruled out the nepal and the spatnik. I also read several articles with concerns and problems with the laces on the spatnik. Most of the places I hunt are lake shores surrounded by cedar swamps. They commonly have two feet of snow burying the underbrush. I really dont want anything exposed, even laces tend to get caught up and snagged. I have already tossed out a pair of Rocky"s due to a puncture sustained in this crap. And I have broke several shoelaces as well. My biggest concern is when you get snagged in this crap is you end up ass over tea kettle and end up getting your weapon and gear full of snow. Anyhow, every review I have read says the millet's are warmer than the oympus mons and last much longer as well. The olympus mons were $250 more and colored like a mustard bucket(skidoo)
Anyhow, I bought them. Got them for %25 off retail and received them today. I was happy right away noticing the vibram sole was quite soft. Being I had a pair of vasque that the soles were so hard you could barely walk across a rock without falling on your ass. These stick way better with the softer compound. This is huge for me due to fact my favorite place to hunt is littered with exposed rocks. This would and should be a deterrent for those who walk on consistent rugged terrain. Over time these soles would most likely get torn up but doubtfully the actual boot.
They look to be very well made. Even though its a French company they have tags showing they are made in Italy. Thats a good thing around here because my wife is Italian and after showing her what I bought she did not pitch one bitch and she even guessed the retail price.
Dont get me wrong these SOB's are big and bulky although not too heavy. Almost like a ski boot without the weight and the angled down bent knee feel. In some ways they are not much larger than the Cabelas predator extreme pac boot I recently returned but, not quite as plyable. These are made for someone to clamp on ice climbing crampons. So they have a very rigid toe and ankle support construction. For example my daughter felt it was necessary for her to jump on the toe of my boot right away. She asked "can you feel that" I told her I felt almost nothing. Downsides: They do make a ton of noise when walking in them. The front of boot fits me surprisingly well but the ankle is a little sloppy for me. Wife may leave me when I dont come out of bush for days at a time!
The major difference between this boot and every other boot I have ever owned is the warmth. They are like having a electric heated blanket around your foot. I absolutely could not believe how warm they are. Although, I could not imagine walking long distances in them unless it was in extremely cold weather. They will simply make your feet sweat. As of now I really cant judge how well they absorb sweat. Must do it fairly well because I read some of these climbers will stay in them for 3 weeks straight. They just seem to warm to be that active in. Tonight I only wore them for about two hours still hunting in 25 degree temps. Walking only about 300 yards. Feet were fine but the cold was seeping into my tired old mittens(next purchase). If I end up hunting in some areas that are a far hike I may place them in backpack and wear a approach type boot in. Not a big deal to me because I really do try to avoid sweating before a hunt. And many here know walking through deep snow it does not take long. Also, I usually wait until I arrive at my hunting spot to put on my white coverups, heavy jacket and ski mask.
My biggest regret? Not getting something like this years ago. To think back to all the times I have had to end a good hunt or, when I was snowmobile racing on lake ice. Price you say? Hell, most of the guys on here could have two pair of these if they sold one of the scopes or rifles they got laying around in the safe. Hopefully I will get out on a weekend thats sub-zero and see how they do. I will keep you informed and possibly post some better pictures of these clown boots!

I know this is a old thread but I have used the La Sportiva Olympus Mons in below zero conditions for mountaineering and have never had a cold foot. I have plowed through waist high snow, shin high water and climbed over reeds with no problems. The integrated gator protects everything from snagging and is made of kevlar if you are using crampons. I highly recommend.

Seen similar threads and did not post. Not the most popular, but I have had a pair of Redwing boots for about three years. I wore them daily on my previous job. Worked outside a lot and often in the cold. Pretty plain leather boots but I have been impressed. They are warm, comfortable, and have held up better than expected. After two years of hard work, they are still in good condition, and functional.

I intend on using these for still hunting. I don't typically walk too far to get into hunting spots and it is usually flat terrain. Thing is I dont move for upwards of 6-8 hours. Carcass hunting!
Here is what brought me to my decision. The la sportiva nepal was what I was initially going to buy. But I wanted something warmer and without laces. Thats why I ruled out the nepal and the spatnik. I also read several articles with concerns and problems with the laces on the spatnik. Most of the places I hunt are lake shores surrounded by cedar swamps. They commonly have two feet of snow burying the underbrush. I really dont want anything exposed, even laces tend to get caught up and snagged. I have already tossed out a pair of Rocky"s due to a puncture sustained in this crap. And I have broke several shoelaces as well. My biggest concern is when you get snagged in this crap is you end up ass over tea kettle and end up getting your weapon and gear full of snow. Anyhow, every review I have read says the millet's are warmer than the oympus mons and last much longer as well. The olympus mons were $250 more and colored like a mustard bucket(skidoo)
Anyhow, I bought them. Got them for %25 off retail and received them today. I was happy right away noticing the vibram sole was quite soft. Being I had a pair of vasque that the soles were so hard you could barely walk across a rock without falling on your ass. These stick way better with the softer compound. This is huge for me due to fact my favorite place to hunt is littered with exposed rocks. This would and should be a deterrent for those who walk on consistent rugged terrain. Over time these soles would most likely get torn up but doubtfully the actual boot.
They look to be very well made. Even though its a French company they have tags showing they are made in Italy. Thats a good thing around here because my wife is Italian and after showing her what I bought she did not pitch one bitch and she even guessed the retail price.
Dont get me wrong these SOB's are big and bulky although not too heavy. Almost like a ski boot without the weight and the angled down bent knee feel. In some ways they are not much larger than the Cabelas predator extreme pac boot I recently returned but, not quite as plyable. These are made for someone to clamp on ice climbing crampons. So they have a very rigid toe and ankle support construction. For example my daughter felt it was necessary for her to jump on the toe of my boot right away. She asked "can you feel that" I told her I felt almost nothing. Downsides: They do make a ton of noise when walking in them. The front of boot fits me surprisingly well but the ankle is a little sloppy for me. Wife may leave me when I dont come out of bush for days at a time!
The major difference between this boot and every other boot I have ever owned is the warmth. They are like having a electric heated blanket around your foot. I absolutely could not believe how warm they are. Although, I could not imagine walking long distances in them unless it was in extremely cold weather. They will simply make your feet sweat. As of now I really cant judge how well they absorb sweat. Must do it fairly well because I read some of these climbers will stay in them for 3 weeks straight. They just seem to warm to be that active in. Tonight I only wore them for about two hours still hunting in 25 degree temps. Walking only about 300 yards. Feet were fine but the cold was seeping into my tired old mittens(next purchase). If I end up hunting in some areas that are a far hike I may place them in backpack and wear a approach type boot in. Not a big deal to me because I really do try to avoid sweating before a hunt. And many here know walking through deep snow it does not take long. Also, I usually wait until I arrive at my hunting spot to put on my white coverups, heavy jacket and ski mask.
My biggest regret? Not getting something like this years ago. To think back to all the times I have had to end a good hunt or, when I was snowmobile racing on lake ice. Price you say? Hell, most of the guys on here could have two pair of these if they sold one of the scopes or rifles they got laying around in the safe. Hopefully I will get out on a weekend thats sub-zero and see how they do. I will keep you informed and possibly post some better pictures of these clown boots!

I know this is a old thread but I have used the La Sportiva Olympus Mons in below zero conditions for mountaineering and have never had a cold foot. I have plowed through waist high snow, shin high water and climbed over reeds with no problems. The integrated gator protects everything from snagging and is made of kevlar if you are using crampons. I highly recommend.

Yes a year old.

I am happy that mmtis is happy with his Millet boots. I sold both Millet Everest and Sportiva Oly Mons and the issue was the very poor fit of the Millet and poor durability. If they fit your feet they are good boots. Warmest, not sure they can make that claim in honesty as the Oly Mons are known as the warmest boot on the planet. Up on the hill, Millet are rarely seen compared to Oly that are seen quite often but not that it matters. And for those in the know, boots like these are given to many expedition mountaineers for free advertising so, of course I will wear your boots if you comp them to me and I will give raving reviews that they fit, warmest on the planet and wear like cast iron, its how the game is played. You will constantly see Millets on sale and almost never Sportiva.

Spantik laces? The easiest boot to lace with gloves / mitts on in the coldest environments on the planet. One simple pull then wrap the lace around the friction tab, how much easy can it get? Yes they are thin to grab but at my request and I am sure others too, LaSportiva added molded rubber pull knob on the end of the laces to make them even easier to lace. I tested these boots for a full year before they were released, Sportiva has some of my pix with them on my feet climbing in Alaska. At the time, the Spantik had no equal and is still considered the most used boot in the high altitude climbing community.

The Vibram sole, its pronounced veebram, is soft for the cold and snow, these boots are designed to be worn specifically on snow and ice are they premature wear Vs a more general use rubber. The color of the dot tells what rubber compound of the sole. I have seen these soft rubber compounds get chewed up over a year of training for expeditions in varied terrain. Hard sole Vibram is for hard term use not so much sticky or snow and ice.

The best boots in the world are make in Italy.

Coldest my feet ever were was wearing Scarpa Inverno double plastic boots in temps stupid cold. I really thought I was loosing a toe.

Northern Outfitters boots are seen on many mushers in Alaska and Canada, they are stupid warm too but lack support on varied terrain.

Bunny boots suck when you have to move. I've only wore them when extended periods on a Sno-Go. Went through the ice one a motorcycle and by the time I pulled the bike out of the ice my feet were wet but warm. They have their place, but not if your moving.

I've spent as much as 14 days out when the temps never got above -40. All I wore was the Army's old mountain boots with spare liners. I pulled the liners out at night and put hot rocks in the boots at night. Stuffed socks in top of the boots to hold in the heat. I changed liners the next day (these were liners that only fit the bottom of the boot).

The trick to warm feet is dry socks. Every time I stopped for a break I changed socks. When time permitted I would build a fire and dry the socks I had worn.

Mukluks are good. A friend of mine's mother in Taylor made me a pair of seal skin mukluts. Supper warm for setting around or short walks. Not good for extended hikes over ruff ground. When skiing I used ski boots and had mukluks in my pack for when I stopped.

I still have a pair of those Army Mountain boots I was issued in the mid 70s. I got a lot of miles on them. I like the older low cut version (with gators), they are lighter then the newer high top version.

Just cant see spending big bucks for fancy boots, if I have 40 year old boots and zero cold feet.

I have gotten wimpy in my old age, so now I have a pair of down booties for setting around camp at night. But still use my old mountain boots.

But the main thing when it comes to taking care of your feet in the winter is to change socks every time you stop for a break. Socks are light.

In this picture, the two guys behind me had wet feet w/blisters that got cold when they stopped. I had warm dry feet the whole trip. This was on a 100 mile Cross Country Ski Trip east of Kotzebue above the Arctic Circle.

Snow%20Patrol%20001.jpg

Last edited:
I have found the best thing for me, I wear a cotton sock for the hike into my stand then once I get there I take off the cotton socks and put a pair of under armour ski socks on. That way the sweating I do on the hike in get absorbed into the cotton and the fresh pair keep my feet warm. I went out Saturday coyote hunting and was out all day with warm feet. Also the boots are rocky 1000gram thinsulate

Just remember, no matter how warm those Millets are, I think they are made to wear with crampons. Thus, the hard, inflexible sole.

The trick for warm feet is good blood circulation being well hydrated and burning calories.

Changing socks during the day is not required if you liberally rub a good layer of under arm antiperspirant on your feet and toes, I use Degree. Just like under arm sweat, this will keep the feet and socks dry for the day. There are prescription strength antiperspirants for really closing up the sweat pores.

Feet get cold but sucking cold up through the sole of the boot not by the cold air around the boot.

Boots are stiff for several reasons, crampon yes but also for a rigid platform to climb vertical terrain. You can use just a 1/8" of a rigid sole boot to stand on a tiny dime edge while climbing, front kick into snow to form a platform ascending, heel stomp the heel descending are just a few.

I completely agree with 45.308s thinking. And given his AO makes me think I've been on the right track. For most of us, including the OP, I would think insulated, supportive hiking boots for the hike in. I use Lowa Tibets, (the foot form of Lowas fit me perfect), then I add overboots once I'm in place.

I use the same idea for my clothing. I dress moderately for the hike in. Once I'm setup, I climb into a my Warmbag and wait. Not too far off topic, these Warmbags or Heater suits, solve a lot of cold weather problems. The hard part is staying awake, it's like hunting from inside your sleeping bag.

Trust me it works better then it sounds.

For most of us, including the OP, I would think insulated, supportive hiking boots for the hike in. I use Lowa Tibets, (the foot form of Lowas fit me perfect), then I add overboots once I'm in place.
I use HanWag Yukons with Berghaus Yeti Wilderness gore-tex overboots permanently on.

I use these for work and play. I work in the field as a pipe welder and I have worn these in the ditch at -35 with a couple good pairs of wigwam wool socks and never had cold feet. I hunt mostly in Wyoming/Montana and after hours sitting in a hide calling yotes my feet are good as ever. They have a great sole for hiking and climbing with plenty of ankle support. I am on my 4th pair.
Carolina | Men's Men's 8? Insulated Waterproof Composite Toe Logger AG7?, Electrical Hazard, Composite Toe, Thinsulate?, Vibram®, SCUBALINER?