• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-Class matches, questions

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
I'm looking to attend my first F-TR match at the Benchrest Club of st. Louis in July. It'll be my first NRA match that i've ever gone too. I've found some basic rules for f-class, my rifle is a .308, bipod front, and its well under 18'ish lbs. It has no muzzle brake either. I'm not sure if there are other rules that would disqualify my rifle from being able to participate, I would hate to drive 4 hours to get there and find that I can't even shoot.

Can y'alls feed me any advice on things to bring, not bring, how many rounds I need to load, things i'm overlooking that I need to plan ahead on, ect.

Thanks for your help, I just don't want to be completely lost out there.

Branden

Re: F-Class matches, questions

Hi Branden,

I'd contact the F-class match director:
http://shootingstl.com/highpower.htm

Like Big Piney, I don't believe they are NRA "registered", just folks getting together for some trigger time....

If you want to shoot registered NRA F-class, check out Red Castle Gun Club in Tulsa, probably the closest.

Bill

Looks like your good for F-TR, my list includes:

Rifle and bi-pod with dial up for match range,ie: 600 or 1000 yd.
100 rounds of match ammo, you will probably bring back 30 or so.
Chamber flag
shooting mat, carpet, beach towel, something to lay on.
Rear bag
spotting scope/binocs
Lawn chair
Lots of fluids, water/sport drink
snacks
sun screen

Good luck and shoot well!

If you have a suppressor, leave it at home. The NRA frowns on the use of legally owned NFA stuff.

I learned that one the hard way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Branden,

I'd contact the F-class match director:
http://shootingstl.com/highpower.htm

Like Big Piney, I don't believe they are NRA "registered", just folks getting together for some trigger time....

If you want to shoot registered NRA F-class, check out Red Castle Gun Club in Tulsa, probably the closest.

Bill </div></div>

I've emailed the match director back and forth a couple times, really didn't ask details on what to bring, mostly what time to start, how much ammo, and how much money. However I was under the impression that they are a NRA event. He mentioned having "NRA approval to turn scores in".

I really just want to get my feet wet, and get a feel for how things work and then I would eventually like to head to Tulsa for an event down there. To a degree, I believe i'm at a disadvantage with my rifle. It's built as a tactical competition rifle rather that f-class. Only a 10x Leupold with M3 turrets, I have a feeling i'll be holding off to keep the bullets someone in the neighborhood of the 10 ring. Either way it doesn't matter, i'm not in it to win it. I just want to have a good time and learn new stuff. I won enough championships in racing that I don't have the "need" to win more titles let alone be good at it. It's more fun to just have fun than to worry about the competitive side of things. Winning, or placing is always a nice feeling, but being DFL isn't so bad either if I picked up some new lessons.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a suppressor, leave it at home. The NRA frowns on the use of legally owned NFA stuff.

I learned that one the hard way. </div></div>

I wish I had a suppressor. I have the money, the wife won't let me get one. She says I don't "need" it. Of course not, but she didn't "need" that new purse either, or those shoes, or that.....well, you get the idea, lol. I think she knows that i'll be deer hunting from the master bedroom if I have one.

Branden

Branden,
Are you going to be at the match on the 1st, or the 10th? Either way, you will have a good time. F-class is a lot of fun and Benchrest Club is a very nice place to shoot.

Branden,

Ive shot there a few times. The matches they have on thursday are not registered. While the one on the Saturday from what I know they are registering. (Not Sure) I do know that they allow F-Classes to shoot with the highpower folks. So they prefer that there are even number of F-Classes to work in the pits for each other. So if you have a friend that is interested in shooting F-Class that would like to give it a whirl I would try to get them to come. When we shoot there on thursday matches we fire 34 shots. 2 rounds of 17 with 2-Sighters and 15 for score. F-Class is pretty fun and they have a really nice range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Branden,
Are you going to be at the match on the 1st, or the 10th? Either way, you will have a good time. F-class is a lot of fun and Benchrest Club is a very nice place to shoot.

</div></div>

The 10th is the one that i'm planning on attending. I'm looking around online for 208 amax's to order, and i'm having a hard time. Midway and Powder Valley are both out, so i'm going to have to order from someplace strange which I don't really like. I just cracked my last box of 100 and loaded 40 rounds a little bit ago, but that's for tomorrow. I need 88 loaded rounds for the match on the 10th. Luckily I have a bit of time. Going to call Bass Pro and see if they got a shipment of them in and have them on the shelf. If they do, then i'll run out there and pick up another box just for the match.

Branden

There are NRA 'Registered' matches, which are less common - state and regional championships, etc. - and there are NRA 'Approved' matches - your run-of-the-mill monthly club matches, etc. They still have to submit a match program for 'approval', and scores fired therein can be submitted for classification. The big difference is that only scores fired in a Registered match can count for National Records. You can fire a perfect score in an Approved match and it doesn't count for anything more than an atta-boy.

Highly recommended you take more than 88rds. Its the Murphy's Law for High Power - if you bring only enough rounds to complete the course of fire and no more, you'll experience one or more of the following:

1. No powder in a round.
2. Bad primer in a round.
3. Score keeper lost count and says you only fired 19 record shots, not 20 (all too common).
4. Target puller got over-eager and started pulling the target down just as you shoot, in which case you get another shot - if you brought extra ammo.
5. Something happens that causes an extended cease-fire, to where you get an extra sighter before resuming fire (pretty rare).

In short, pack the extra rounds - better to have and not need, that sort of thing. DAMHIKT.

Monte

Remember the "no brake" rule.
I have been to a couple competitions where a "flash hider" device was disputed as being a muzzle break.
I have also seen folks show up with what can be considered as a mechanical rest "ie" front and back rifle supports connected.
In this case it was a sheet of plywood connecting a front rest and a back bag attached to it with Velcro.
Gotta love shooters choice.
More often than not it's a good time with good people just about anywhere you shoot.
Have fun and good luck.

BTW...S I T,

Your Claws are absolutely legal for F-Class matches.
I have had a question or two if they were allowed.

Thankxs,

i know there allowed. i shoot with them all the time. people love them and ask me where i got them

Branden,
The normal course of fire requires 34 shots as mentioned by WTW. Did the match director change the COF since this is a NRA recorded match? I'm curious because I usually show up with 50 rounds and leave with 10-15. I may just load 100 just in case.

Do you know if they'd let someone with a non-qualifying rifle shoot in the match just for fun? I'd like to shoot in the match, but want to use my suppressor and don't know if my rifle's under the weight limit. I really don't care about winning or getting registered scores or anything.

I have a buddy that shot a supressed AR there last month. I doubt they would care, but it wouldn't hurt to send an email to the match director. If the rifle pictured in your post is the one you are using, you will make weight. My setup is similar and I'm about 4lbs under the limit.

I posted this same question on another forum, and a user there that shoots at that range said to leave the suppressor at home. As for the weight, if you're over weight, you would just shoot in Open class. Weight your rifle, 18.1lbs is the limit for F-TR. Shawn, i'm sure your rifle shoots just as well w/o the suppressor as it does with it, you'll just have to re-zero. Look at the bright side, you won't have to worry about POI shift as it heats up!

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be expected to pull targets for the other shooters,here's a video that one of our shooters put together. It does a pretty good job of explaining pit duty.Make sure to watch all 3 parts.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=270926 </div></div>

Thanks for the links on those videos. They answered a lot of questions that I had on the pit service. Last time I did anything like pit service was in the Army, and it's rapidly fading from my memory.

Branden

hey there fellas, I'm getting ready to shoot my second F-Class comp down in Moyock, NC. I just got on this site and already have found the advice on here great. Look forward to learning more about competitions...I was an AF Security Forces Sniper...was in for 9 years but now I'm just a poor college kid!