• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-class rests

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Well was a rough day at the range this am, scope screw got loose and lost my windage.

Anyway got that fixed up and was doing "ok" 9-10 ring on standard targets at 1000, prone off bipod heavy rear bag.

I was working with a smith who brought a rifle for me to try out and was using his Rodzilla front rest and his f-class gun.

Shot a 2.2 inch group in the X ring (at 1k--yes it was three round, we were running long and got booted from the range). Some of that may have been luck, but once he showed me how to use the joystick, that thing hammered right where I aimed.

Now the "Shitty" rifle was my AI. I jest, its done fine, but shooting off that rest was next level. So how much do those rests help?

Reactions: kthomas
I don't think it's possible to overstate how much difference a rifle built to run on a rest and ear bag combined with something like a Neo Rest makes.

So much so, anytime I see anyone making claims they can tell a difference on paper for something as small as primer seating variation......if they are using a bipod and rear squeeze bag, I completely ignore them. You're just not able to consistently shoot that small with that type of setup.

Be careful though. It's a three part system. A rifle setup to run on a rest and that type of rear bag, the rest, and the rear bag. For optimal performance, you need all three.

Which means if your AI doesn't have a large flat forend and a flat bag rider, the rest will not help as much as the entire system.

Reactions: LR1845
Well was a rough day at the range this am, scope screw got loose and lost my windage.

Anyway got that fixed up and was doing "ok" 9-10 ring on standard targets at 1000, prone off bipod heavy rear bag.

I was working with a smith who brought a rifle for me to try out and was using his Rodzilla front rest and his f-class gun.

Shot a 2.2 inch group in the X ring (at 1k--yes it was three round, we were running long and got booted from the range). Some of that may have been luck, but once he showed me how to use the joystick, that thing hammered right where I aimed.

Now the "Shitty" rifle was my AI. I jest, its done fine, but shooting off that rest was next level. So how much do those rests help?
Yes the Rodzilla and SEB (SEB seems to be most popular nowadays) front rests are amazing for stability, ease of leveling, return-to-battery, and aiming adjustments w/o muscular interference. Combined with a rear bag like the SEB Bigfoot, you are at Benchrest level stability. F-Open is a deep and expensive rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: LR1845