• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-Class rule question

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
I looked in the NRA rule book, couldn't find anything on this. In F-Class TR can you shoot a single shot as long as it is .223 or .308? My understanding is that only the caliber makes it a FTR or Open class. I think weight may get in there somewhere.
Thanks

Re: F-Class rule question

18.2 lbs with the bipod for F-TR, 22 without the rests for F-open. 338 cal bullet restriction for Open. All single load even if the action is a repeater.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F class is open</div></div>

There is F-class open rifle and F-class target rifle

For ftr your allowed up to 18.18 lbs, bi pod and rear bag, no rests, gun can be single shot or repeater however only one round may be loaded into the gun at a time. No magazine feeding. Caliber is restricted to .233 or .308. I do t beleive there is a restriction on s opes but I don't have the rules in front of me

Go here, click on "High Power"

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nra-rule-books.asp

Look under "F-Class"

You'll see the weight limits for TR (18+ lbs) and Open (22+ lbs) Class and other rules pertaining to F-Class. Since F-Class is part of High OPower, teh general High Power rules apply unless there is one specific to F-Class.

JeffVN

I really wish they would add a "Tactical" or somesuch portion to F Class, the only time I shoot unsuppressed is for matches. There are a whole lot of folks who shoot in these matches, not for wanting to see their name in the match results, but only for access to 1K ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but only for access to 1K ranges.</div></div>

Add me to that list.

Talk to match director, I'm sure you can shoot the match with suppressor but will not be able send scores into NRA for a classification card.
When I was in ABQ, NM we allowed guys to shoot with muzzle brake (several firing points away from any other competitor) or with a suppressor. Suppressed or muzzlebrake was for local score only, did not get sent into NRA for classification.

Suppressors are not legal in all states so there is no way to make it an even playing field in F-class by allowing use of suppressors.

Most tactical/sniper rifles in 308 fit into F T/R class. What is the new "tactical F-class" catagory going to allow/improve on?

Yea, that place we used to shoot, and their allowing suppressors, well, where Im at now they are not so "Forgiving."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wish they would add a "Tactical" or somesuch portion to F Class, the only time I shoot unsuppressed is for matches. There are a whole lot of folks who shoot in these matches, not for wanting to see their name in the match results, but only for access to 1K ranges.

</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1132302&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Most tactical/sniper rifles in 308 fit into F T/R class. What is the new "tactical F-class" catagory going to allow/improve on?</div></div>

I'm guessing people want to run their 260's and 243's without having to go up against the open-class gamers. Same basic restrictions/spirit as F-TR just with a few more caliber options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk to match director, I'm sure you can shoot the match with suppressor but will not be able send scores into NRA for a classification card.
When I was in ABQ, NM we allowed guys to shoot with muzzle brake (several firing points away from any other competitor) or with a suppressor. Suppressed or muzzlebrake was for local score only, did not get sent into NRA for classification.

Suppressors are not legal in all states so there is no way to make it an even playing field in F-class by allowing use of suppressors.

Most tactical/sniper rifles in 308 fit into F T/R class. What is the new "tactical F-class" catagory going to allow/improve on? </div></div>

To allow shooters to utilize their precision tactical rifle in the same way they utilize it in the real world

Perhaps "Tactical" is not right, "Military and Police Precision Rifle" would be better. Anyway I applaud the folks who are allowing particpants to shoot suppressed.

The easiest and best way to get this OK'd would simply be to put in the rule book that anyone who wants to shoot suppressed may, with the understanding that they can win no matches, or get a classification.

Go a step further and leave out all LE, .mil, tactical, and sniper references. That is why I coined the term "field precision rifle" in my match description.

Note that the match we shoot at the NRAWC on the north side of the mountain is called the SRM - Sporting Rifle Match - and is billed as a hunting practice match where hunters can improve their skills therefore resulting is less wounded and lost game.

Hozer's got the "Prairie dog" match he puts on at Pueblo. The targets are steel p-dogs at unknown distances. A heavy barreled mid-caliber rifle is ideal for them.

Think about it.

Short of F-class Nationals I don't know of a match that wouldn't let you shoot suppressed. While you would not be able to win the match as you don't fit into any of the "legal" classes, you would get the 1K range time.

You are not going to get a rule like that in the NRA rulebook for F-class. Didn't say I agree or disagree with the NRA on that. When there are states that do not allow for the legal ownership of suppressor, you are NOT going to get a National organization to give a "competitive advantage" by allowing other shooters to "legally" use a suppressor in a match. Just opens the door for people to start gaming the system.

Sounds like the match director is being a bit unreasonable. No reason you shouldn't be able to shoot suppressed, just can not "win" the match or turn in score for classification card.

When I said F class open I was referring to cartridges.

FTR was restricted to the 223 and 308 .

I was not referring to sights or scopes.

Should have phrased it different.

Just so I got this strait. My 18# 300Win Mag is an F-Open rifle right?

Thanks guys. I just won a $20.00 bet that my single shot bolt action .223 was a "legal" FTR as long as I shoot it off a bi-pod.

This one:
DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

I was at an F-Class last month with my suppressed .308 and was politely asked if I would shoot without it as they did not want to give the wrong impression to anyone that might be watching. Like someone else said all I was really looking for was some range time at 1000 yards, I did not really care about the competition as I was no real threat to win anything. It seems the NRA which is supposed to support all types of firearms activities would not discourage a suppressed rifle because it gives the wrong "impression".

well

You would have that bet in the bag.

.223 and .308win ONLY for TR and must be off bi pod or sand bag no adjustable rear rest is aloud. so the mono pod is not aloud. But any cal up to .33 is for open F-Class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so I got this strait. My 18# 300Win Mag is an F-Open rifle right? </div></div>

Just so you are prepared for the recoil of up to 70 shots per day with same 300 Win Mag without a muzzle break!

I once watched an older guy try this at an F-Class match. He was using max power loads and was visibly flinching way before we got to the 1000 yard line... he didn't show up the second day.

That said, I have also seen one of the more gifted F-Class shooters out of Arizona run the same sort of setup and take the match, and he was ~5'4" 135-140# tops. It just depends on what you're used to.

Good shooting,

Darrell

I have competed several times with that 300 Wm, & did OK. Recoil doesn't bother me as much as some. They did place me off to the end of the line, & some guys complained about the blast.(no brake) but for a long time now I was working weekends, & now I'm on UE, & can't afford to compete.

Since I run them, we allow supressors for our 600 yard matches and practice matches at Boulder City, but do not turn in an NRA score for you at the matches. If you asked nicley our 1,000 yard match director would do the same for you.

We also run a practice Palma match (800, 900, and 1,000 yard lines) every 2nd Sunday and let folks us muzzle breaks and supressors to shoot in the practice matches.

Come out to vegas and shoot in our matches...

Jeffvn

Four of you guy's are centrally located from a range that likes cans! Shooting prone, is why you all are looking at F-Class.
Do you want smaller targets, at diferent ranges too?
Precision, nothing else.
Record is 44 from perfect, and only only a total of 48 needed.
It can be cleaned in less than a box!

By the way.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">300 mag </span>is not that bad,(fill in the blank), and has won.