• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F-class shooters bottom of the barrel, really?

When I compete I compete against myself. My aim is to top my last performance. I ignore all other competitiors until it comes time to compare notes and perhaps some tips. I really don't care what someone else or has or what I don't have. I really don't care what someone can or can't do. I am centered on my own progress and improvement. What others say or do doesn't phase me nor should it you.
Measuring yourself against others is taking a small ruler.
Measuring yourself against yourself is taking the big yard stick.

Unfortunately I have heard a lot of ragging on F-Class & F-Class shooters in my short F-Class career. Until someone lays down and shoots a F-Class rifle at an F-Class target they just don't respect it. I have seen some of the best Palma shooters in the World (Former National Champions) make the switch or just come to Nationals to try it out and they have quite a respect for the F-Class game after that.

I just shoot, try my best to work the wind and hope for the best.

Repeat this mantra:

I will not chase the spotter, I will not chase the spotter, I will not chase the spotter.

We have a few true "benchrest" guys come out and shoot open class. One guy usually wins and last shoot he put his last 5 rounds at 1000 in a nice little group in the bottom right corner of the target so his buddy could win. These guys have a powered cart to haul all their crap and put there front rests on a inch thick piece of steel they use a 3 ft level to place. If find it all entertaining ... as I walk to the line with my drag bag over my shoulder with a chair and tripod strapped to it. To each their own ... but once in a while when I put up some really good numbers with my lowly 308 pushing standard 175 SMKs I get a chuckle. Where I shoot F/Class we only shoot at 800/900/1000 so F/TR class has a small following. Though our numbers are growing.

I shoot HP Prone (sling shooter), but I like to shoot against people that are good, and I keep track of our scores and when we are real close, it makes me bear down and pick up those extra few points. That is also how you get over getting uptight and nervous, and be doing the shooting as a natural reflex, and that is why competition helps in the world too, weather it is hunting or other similar activities.

Any shooter dissing F-Class is guilty of contempt prior to investigation for no reason. And I shoot benchrest for the most part. I have been to a few F-Class competitions as an observer and if you want you can use a sandbag for a front rest and nobody is going to diss you. I find F-Class folks extremely friendly and helpful. So much so, that I have been practicing myself in order to start shooting the local match as well. It looks like a lot of fun.

As for venting for venting sake...

1330841931997_7281304.png

Everyone loves THEIR discipline. Most people choose their discipline as if it says something about themselves. Defending their discipline is their way of defending their choices. To each his own. IPSC and IDPA guys hate each other, usually, but the real shooters do both because they want the training and the challenge. Take the high road and be an all around shooter, I say. Naysayers just pigeonhole themselves. As Heinlein says, specialization is gor insects.

This happened to me once, his 4000 dollar bat action rig lost to my 1250 savage rig. The worth I'm referring is rifle only, no other accessories included.

I too know a guy like original OP knows, and have been kicking his BR ass all over the course this season with my POS LRI Tactical rig!

Sorry, long thread and I am sure lots of good discussion.

For gear, yes, F Open rifles mimic LR BR rifles for very good reason. No better way to make a rifle that launches a bit heavy bullet into itty bitty groups at distance.

FTR is following in its own way and scores are getting awfullly close to Open.

So from a mechanical standpoint, any F class shooter wanting to reach the podium at a high level in this sport better take a good long look at the BR gear. Lots of good stuff to learn and use.

As for the style of shooting, well, not in the same ballpark. Totally different game and rules with results that have no bearing on either sport. Like baseball and basketball... except for using a spherical object in both sports, what's there to compare?

When I bump into a BR shooter that seems to think hitting an MOA sized target is SOOOOO easy, I simply make this offer

You have 17 rds to fire over 45mins. You have no control over when your are allowed to shoot but when you do, you have no more then 45secs to deliver ONE shot.

You will not shoot again for a min of 30secs and as much as 1.5mins. You cannot put up flags as you want. They are placed on the range where they are and how they are.

And, if the conditions are favorable, you better be hitting that 1/2 min X ring.

OH by the way, you shoot rain or shine and your gear better be able to get very wet and dirty. Ask milanuk about localised New Mexico "showers".

Tends to shut them up pretty quick...

Jerry

PS, if coming to the next Worlds in Connaught, Ottawa Canada, you will likely shoot 3 to a target and the above scenerio is how it plays out.... fun, fun, fun

Last edited:
I wouldn't call them showers. Lately more like flash flood conditional rains with high winds and sometimes hail and of course lightning. Beats last year where the rains were replaced with localized dust storms.

Dust... is that what you call it..

Up here, we call it SAND BLASTING GRIT :)

There is a pic somewhere of a bunch of shooters throwing themselves over their rifles with a rather big Dust Devil approaching.

Good times...

Jerry