• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F&D Defense

treebasher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Billings, MT
So what is the story on these guys?

http://www.fd-defense.com/

Their FD308 rifle looks to be in the LWRC REPR category as far as quality goes. Anyone here been able to fondle one?

FD308
FD338BMGLeft1280.png

FD338
bigfd338%281%29.png

Re: F&D Defense

i need to go take a look since there only 30min away from me. I just bought a "Bad News 338 Lapua". So i wounder how this fd338 compares

I've been talking to Corby Hall the owner, he was the/a engineer for LWRC for 5 years before starting this company. I ordered a 308 16" for our shop and am suppose to be able to shoot the demo shortly. He sent the rifle to Harris Publications so hopefully they will do a review here shortly. I'm pretty excited to get the chance to shoot the demo while waiting on the one for the store. The lead time is 14 weeks. Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BSGGUNS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been talking to Corby Hall the owner, he was the/a engineer for LWRC for 5 years before starting this company. I ordered a 308 16" for our shop and am suppose to be able to shoot the demo shortly. He sent the rifle to Harris Publications so hopefully they will do a review here shortly. I'm pretty excited to get the chance to shoot the demo while waiting on the one for the store. The lead time is 14 weeks. Phil</div></div>

Have you been able to shoot one yet?

I met with Cordy, the owner of F&D on Thursday. I was very impressed with the FD308 and if it shoots as well as it looks I will be even more impressed. The FD308 is the BEST system I have seen and defiantly a much nicer system than anything POF or Larue Tactical are currently producing…

I only have one complaint with F&D and that would be they didn’t have a FD308 for me to purchase and have some fun reducing the hog population. I was impressed with how adjustable the gas regulator is and the amount of thought that went into the design; below is a picture of the gas adjuster that can be adjusted with 4 different settings and fine tuned from the front set screw.

Gassystem.jpg

I found this on AR15.com so i figured i would add it to the post.

F&D had their 308 rifle field tested by Rudy Project Co-Captain Don Hardy today.

You can check them out at booth 6108 at the S.H.O.T. show.

Field tests done at Poco Loco Ranch, 14Jan2012, starting 10:15am:

Make: F&D Defense
Model: FD308-17
Serial: 031911PT3
Caliber: .308
Distance: 100yds
Rest: front bipod, rear bead-bag
Temp: 60degF
Wind: calm-5 mph
Best Grouping Ammo: Blackhills 175gr BTHP Win Match, Factory New
Best Group: .175 MOA
Avg. Group: .5 MOA

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thank's Brad - Charles told me what you said about these guys. We look forward to a TGR range day with them. I may have to get myself a .338 and suppress it
smile.gif

Brad,
I had a nice chat with him the other day and will be meeting with him to shoot as GlockandRoll mentioned. He's a very experienced LR shooter.

We should all hook up together for the shoot and I will bring my HD camcorder

sounds good!!!

I got an email from F&D informing me they will be shipping guns out soon; i can barely wait to go and get some wild pigs with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selphb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds good!!!

I got an email from F&D informing me they will be shipping guns out soon; i can barely wait to go and get some wild pigs with it. </div></div>

Let us know how it shoots. I have one on order, it should be here in a month or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selphb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FD308 is the BEST system I have seen and defiantly a much nicer system than anything POF or Larue Tactical are currently producing&#133;
</div></div>

Would you care to elaborate on that statement?

They are using Lilja match grade BBL's and have an improved gas-piston system out of the LWRC.

I know it's a cliche', but take a look at the pics.. you can see the workmanship.
http://fd-defense.com/fd308/fd308gallery

I've talked to a few people who have shot them and they all shake their heads and use their hands when they explain it.
smile.gif

I see in the post with the target picture that it says "best group .175 and average group =.5" and it looks like that is with 3 shot groups. Not bad at all but nothing that some other piston driven guns won't do. Hell, I can't remember ever seeing anyone post 3 shot groups with the others, its always 5 and 10. Seems like a good gun though

Seems like we've been hearing about this rifle for a long time, but I have yet to see one delivered to a consumer?

Also three shot group???

It may be the .308 AR that all others are measured by someday, but will that day ever come? Why is taking so long to get these to consumers?

Will the production models be as accurate?

This is starting to sound like as the world turns soap opera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selphb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FD308 is the BEST system I have seen and defiantly a much nicer system than anything POF or Larue Tactical are currently producing&#133;
</div></div>

Would you care to elaborate on that statement? </div></div>

It would be hard to explain you will have to shoot one and see the attention to detail. I do know one thing the F&D rail is made of a solid billet unlike the OBR that looks to be a casting.

I ordered one on June 23rd so I still have a ways to wait. How long after you ordered yours did it take for yours to be built?

Seems like I ordered mine back in April. Mine is number 16 of 50. The first 50
rifles are pre-production units numbered 1-50. He said after he finishes making and shipping those then he will start on the regular production rifles. Said he has 6-9 month backup already. He said he spends 36 hours on each rifle. He also told us not to throw them on gunbroker for $3600 because they are worth every bit of $5k to $6k. We shall see.

I ordered my FD308 on April 15 and haven't heard a word in weeks... Got an initial order confirmation e-mail then a follow up e-mail May 8 then . . . ? I sent an e-mail July 10 requesting an update and got a very vague response:

"Getting there, no updates at this time.

We wont know anything until 2 weeks prior to shipment."

Has anyone else received updates/notification?

He sent this today:

Preproduction 1-25 Customers,

The coating vendor did not send in the barrels last Wed as expected. I called them Friday and she said the barrels would be completed today (Monday), so I now expect them to arrive by Wed, assembled Thurs, and break-in on Fri. I will keep you updated, and thanks for your patience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steaminwilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He sent this today:

Preproduction 1-25 Customers,

The coating vendor did not send in the barrels last Wed as expected. I called them Friday and she said the barrels would be completed today (Monday), so I now expect them to arrive by Wed, assembled Thurs, and break-in on Fri. I will keep you updated, and thanks for your patience. </div></div>

Dang, when in April did you order yours? My PO is dated April 12, and I'm apparently NOT a Preproduction 1-25... Maybe I'm 26, lol

I ordered mine January 31st................still waiting. I sent my first email to them last week, and was told that my rifle would be in the second batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine January 31st................still waiting. I sent my first email to them last week, and was told that my rifle would be in the second batch. </div></div>

See THAT makes me worry... You ordered in January and yet some how are a part of the second 25 but *willy ordered in April and is 16th...? All "understanding" aside, that just don't make sense.

I am in the second batch also. How many of us are going to get one of the 25? Sounds like they could have "oversold" the 50. Hope I don't get bumped!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blown70mach1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine January 31st................still waiting. I sent my first email to them last week, and was told that my rifle would be in the second batch. </div></div>

See THAT makes me worry... You ordered in January and yet some how are a part of the second 25 but *willy ordered in April and is 16th...? All "understanding" aside, that just don't make sense. </div></div>

Yeah, that does not make sense to me either unless willy is a squeakier wheel. My purchase order # is: 12013101, and my cc was charged on February 18th.

I don't mind waiting longer if it is worth the wait, however, it is a little upsetting when a company more than doubles the lead time they initially gave you.

What is your purchase order #?

What is your purchase order #?

12041201 for me CC charged on the 15th. E-mail response from Chelsa said I was in the second 25.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put my order in March 1st and Corby said i was about #46 </div></div>

Dang, I was 6 weeks after, looking like my rifle may be a Christmas gift...

I stopped by F&D Defense on my way back from San Antonio Monday and it looks like everything is coming together nicely...

I took a picture of the box as a teaser for the guys on the first batch.

I am real impressed to see a company actually making this many parts all in house (lowers, uppers, rails, bolts, extensions, carriers, gas system, bolt catches) and not contracting it all out.

FD308box.jpg

If you are an F&D customer, you already know if you are getting your rifle in the 1-25. If you haven't heard from me then you are "elsewhere" on the order list, which is priority of another day.

Many customers had placed orders without providing a deposit until a much later date. If that was the case, then that order did not go into the processing file until a deposit was received; hence the reason why a customer could have placed an order in January and not processed until April.

Admittedly, a few orders (3-5) may have been pushed into the second or third batch. This is due to a few hot-headed customers who have been threatening disparaging/defamatory retaliation on these forums if their order did not get moved ahead of others. I will not be swayed by these threats any longer, as this type of behavior only further delays other customer's orders who have been patient, friendly, understanding, and supportive.

I am one person designing and machining nearly the entire rifle (25 at a time, soon to be 50 at a time). This is not simply an assembly shop like so many competitors that outsource the machining of their major components. Just about every component in this rifle is machined here, by myself, in my shop, with my equipment. If it takes longer than estimated, then so be-it; the work cannot physically be completed any quicker. I'm putting in at least 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. And so far I have been making about $6.50/hr, no overtime. I'm just waiting for the day the labor dept busts in and arrests me for not paying myself minimum wage... Anyways, my first order of business is to ensure my customer's deposits and payments are best put to use. And I can guarantee with certainty that a much larger percentage of the rifle cost is actually applied toward producing these rifles than any of my competitors. If I can pay to keep my AC set on 75, then I'm good.

I gave up a $110k job for this. If anyone wants to be pissed off about that, no problem. Ive told people plenty times before, I'm not here to sell BJ's, I'm here to build the nicest rifles in the market. If you want pig-powder, baseball caps, and bumper stickers there are those out there who will give it to you. That's simply not my style.

If you want to call me directly to discuss technicalities of the rifle, you can do that (if you catch me while I'm not running machines). If you are nice to me, I'm going to be nice to you and give you all the information you could ever want. If you're an asshole, I'm going to cut you off. This goes true for both existing and potential customers.

In any case, if that's not good enough, there are plenty competitor's rifles available for order, also with a 4-6 month lead time, or longer.

C Hall

Alright I will give you the nod for insulting LaRue
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fd-defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are an F&D customer, you already know if you are getting your rifle in the 1-25. If you haven't heard from me then you are "elsewhere" on the order list, which is priority of another day.

Many customers had placed orders without providing a deposit until a much later date. If that was the case, then that order did not go into the processing file until a deposit was received; hence the reason why a customer could have placed an order in January and not processed until April.

Admittedly, a few orders (3-5) may have been pushed into the second or third batch. This is due to a few hot-headed customers who have been threatening disparaging/defamatory retaliation on these forums if their order did not get moved ahead of others. I will not be swayed by these threats any longer, as this type of behavior only further delays other customer's orders who have been patient, friendly, understanding, and supportive.

I am one person designing and machining nearly the entire rifle (25 at a time, soon to be 50 at a time). This is not simply an assembly shop like so many competitors that outsource the machining of their major components. Just about every component in this rifle is machined here, by myself, in my shop, with my equipment. If it takes longer than estimated, then so be-it; the work cannot physically be completed any quicker. I'm putting in at least 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. And so far I have been making about $6.50/hr, no overtime. I'm just waiting for the day the labor dept busts in and arrests me for not paying myself minimum wage... Anyways, my first order of business is to ensure my customer's deposits and payments are best put to use. And I can guarantee with certainty that a much larger percentage of the rifle cost is actually applied toward producing these rifles than any of my competitors. If I can pay to keep my AC set on 75, then I'm good.

I gave up a $110k job for this. If anyone wants to be pissed off about that, no problem. Ive told people plenty times before, I'm not here to sell BJ's, I'm here to build the nicest rifles in the market. If you want pig-powder, baseball caps, and bumper stickers there are those out there who will give it to you. That's simply not my style.

If you want to call me directly to discuss technicalities of the rifle, you can do that (if you catch me while I'm not running machines). If you are nice to me, I'm going to be nice to you and give you all the information you could ever want. If you're an asshole, I'm going to cut you off. This goes true for both existing and potential customers.

In any case, if that's not good enough, there are plenty competitor's rifles available for order, also with a 4-6 month lead time, or longer.

C Hall </div></div>

Well Said!

Love it. Now I really can't wait to get my hands on it. Passion and work ethic do incredible things.....I'm sure it will reflect on your rifle. Keep up the hard work, Corby.

I went down to F&D yesterday to pick up my rifle and they turned out nicer than I could have ever expected. I will post pictures of the targets and post feed back when I go to the range next week.

Cool.. I cant wait to drive down to pick one up and meet Cory, he seems like such a nice honest straight-shooter, I cant wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool.. I cant wait to drive down to pick one up and meet Cory, he seems like such a nice honest straight-shooter, I cant wait. </div></div>

If you have time next week i will be going to the range to sight the rifle in at Austin Rifle Club if you want to meet up.

I will only write of my personal experience with Corby Hall and F&D Defense.
I received notification that my 308 had shipped yesterday or the day before.
F&D provides very timely updates to theor customers on the build status and the informative was always very accurate.
When I was notified that the gun had shipped I sent Mr. Hall a congratulatory email saying that he should be very proud of what he has accomplished, and wished him a great weekend and to try and get some well deserved time to rest.
My gun is coming up to the Pacific Northwest where more than a few will be looking at this new build closely, and from what I am hearing I won't have any problem defending my decision to go with FD.
I have one more gun in production with a very well known and respected shop, who and where I won't say. But to try and compare the level of customer support between the two shops F&D Defense wins hands down, and that is remarkable tor a new business.
I expect that I'll receive the gun some time next week, then sped a good half day just gettig to know the gun, mount the scope, etc.. I will zero the gun at 200 and the start to get into a bit more serious evaluation take some photos and post my results.
Corby and F&D my hat'ts off to you.

It definitely looks accurate enough....great shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selphb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I met with Cordy, the owner of F&D on Thursday. I was very impressed with the FD308 and if it shoots as well as it looks I will be even more impressed. The FD308 is the BEST system I have seen and defiantly a much nicer system than anything POF or Larue Tactical are currently producing…

I only have one complaint with F&D and that would be they didn’t have a FD308 for me to purchase and have some fun reducing the hog population. I was impressed with how adjustable the gas regulator is and the amount of thought that went into the design; below is a picture of the gas adjuster that can be adjusted with 4 different settings and fine tuned from the front set screw.

Gassystem.jpg

I found this on AR15.com so i figured i would add it to the post.

F&D had their 308 rifle field tested by Rudy Project Co-Captain Don Hardy today.

You can check them out at booth 6108 at the S.H.O.T. show.

Field tests done at Poco Loco Ranch, 14Jan2012, starting 10:15am:

Make: F&D Defense
Model: FD308-17
Serial: 031911PT3
Caliber: .308
Distance: 100yds
Rest: front bipod, rear bead-bag
Temp: 60degF
Wind: calm-5 mph
Best Grouping Ammo: Blackhills 175gr BTHP Win Match, Factory New
Best Group: .175 MOA
Avg. Group: .5 MOA

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WinD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will only write of my personal experience with Corby Hall and F&D Defense.
I received notification that my 308 had shipped yesterday or the day before.
F&D provides very timely updates to theor customers on the build status and the informative was always very accurate.
When I was notified that the gun had shipped I sent Mr. Hall a congratulatory email saying that he should be very proud of what he has accomplished, and wished him a great weekend and to try and get some well deserved time to rest.
My gun is coming up to the Pacific Northwest where more than a few will be looking at this new build closely, and from what I am hearing I won't have any problem defending my decision to go with FD.
I have one more gun in production with a very well known and respected shop, who and where I won't say. But to try and compare the level of customer support between the two shops F&D Defense wins hands down, and that is remarkable tor a new business.
I expect that I'll receive the gun some time next week, then sped a good half day just gettig to know the gun, mount the scope, etc.. I will zero the gun at 200 and the start to get into a bit more serious evaluation take some photos and post my results.
Corby and F&D my hat'ts off to you. </div></div>

When you get the gun post what you think once you go to the range.

I picked up my rifle yesterday. Words can't express how pleased I am. This gun is solid. Solid. I'm running mine suppressed with an AAC 762SD. I threw on an Atlas bipod and a Leupold Mark 6 w/ LaRue mount. Shot a 1/2 MOA group with West Texas wind blowing left to right. She throws the brass perfectly at 3:30. I've shot SR25s, LMTs and OBRs, this badgirl tops them all. I'm proud to own #16 of 50. You won't ever find her on gunbroker. Corby's rifles are worth their weight in gold. Makes me proud to be a Texan to own a gun made by a fellow Texan. Just shows you what hard work, knowledge and a steadfast dedication to developing the best 308 gas gun will get you.

I would suggest not using the Larue mount on the FD 308 and go with one that has a sacrificial cam surface instead of a hardened steel surface mating up with aluminum.

I would suggest American Defense ARMS or any other company that has that sacrificial cam surface so you wont wear out the rail.

3200(+) USD is a steep price for a weapon with numerous seemingly proprietary parts. If a production weapon shoots as well as the claimed avg. 443 moa it might be a pretty sweet rig, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that a comparable Hogan, GAP, LMT or the likes could not do the same for less.

There was a thread on here awhile ago that got pretty ugly regarding this thing. Interesting no one has mentioned it yet. (Not that i wouldn't want to let sleeping dogs lay.....)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3200(+) USD is a steep price for a weapon with numerous seemingly proprietary parts. If a production weapon shoots as well as the claimed avg. 443 moa it might be a pretty sweet rig, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that a comparable Hogan, GAP, LMT or the likes could not do the same for less.

There was a thread on here awhile ago that got pretty ugly regarding this thing. Interesting no one has mentioned it yet. (Not that i wouldn't want to let sleeping dogs lay.....) </div></div>

I'm guessing you've never seen one of these rifles in person? The workmanship and quality alone are the finest I've seen. Behind the trigger of one is even more impressive. The thing I like about the proprietary system is that you know all the parts were built in house and designed to work with each other instead of fitting random parts together from different manufacturers. It seems most companies now days are just assembly shops, even some "top tier" ones.

I'm also not getting where you mentioned the other rifles being just as good for less. The brands you mentioned "being better or as good for less" are actually just as much as the F&D. The Hogan and the LMT of comparable model are $200 more.