• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition f-open rest type

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
The matches I shoot do not allow rests, so I have a duplin bipod that I use, but I would eventually like to shoot in competitions that would allow a rest in the f-open category. My question is for the guys who shoot f-open and was wandering what type of rests do you use, the mariner wheel style or the joy stick type rests, and what advantage is one style over the other? Since I have never seen or used a quality rest, your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
DS

I have both style of rests. An older Sinclair wheel model with a 3 inch leather top and a Farley co-ax bought this year. The co-axial rest is really nice and has raised my scores from the low 190's to the high 190's. Cost on the Farley ($1200) and wait time to get one can be prohibitive. Some of the guys shoot with a SEB co-axial, but it doesn't seem any better than a Farley. I am planning on selling the Sinclair now that I know that the Farley is a huge improvement for me.

The type of rest you use is going to be a personal thing, and what fits your shooting style and technique. I do not like any type of Joystick rest, it's that personal thing. Just another gadget and more to go wrong. If you set your rifle up correctly and it tracks like it should you don't need a joystick rest, just push the rifle back up into battery and it should come right up on target.

I am fortunate to have a best friend who builds one of the finest rests in the country. He has built me both a Benchrest rest as well as my F-Class rest. I have never seen a time when I was out shot by a joypod rest.

Roland

Attachments

• F Class Viper (Small).jpg
    F Class Viper (Small).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Gunny1web (Small).jpg
    Gunny1web (Small).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 21
The guy that got me started in F-class shoots on a Viper. Love the customizing on your rest...Semper Fi

The guy that got me started in F-class shoots on a Viper. Love the customizing on your rest...Semper Fi
JBD, His a lucky guy then, The man's name who makes these rest is Bob Pastor, he does a hell of a fine job and the rest's themselves are a thrill to shoot off of. You actually wouldn't have to have to separate rest like I do. The benchrest model would work very well at F-Class just with the addition of F-Class feet. Semper Fi!!

RS

Every one I have seen made was true art. I spanked him last weekend shooting off a Farley...:)

The type of rest you use is going to be a personal thing, and what fits your shooting style and technique. I do not like any type of Joystick rest, it's that personal thing. Just another gadget and more to go wrong. If you set your rifle up correctly and it tracks like it should you don't need a joystick rest, just push the rifle back up into battery and it should come right up on target.

I am fortunate to have a best friend who builds one of the finest rests in the country. He has built me both a Benchrest rest as well as my F-Class rest. I have never seen a time when I was out shot by a joypod rest.

Roland

Those things are slick! What bag are you using on the Fclass rest?

I am using a older design Edgewood bag. I was able to get into a group buy and Edgewood reproduced this bag for this group. It is little taller at 5 1/2" and you were able to spec the space between the ears.

RS

Thanks for the input. It seems to boil down to personal preference to what works best with one's style of shooting. It would be nice to be able to try each style out before one invests that type of money in a rest. Perhaps I will try to find a match in my area that allows rests and see what people use .

DS

I recently bought a JAK rest JAK Rest 2013 Model and am very happy with it, I have been on the list for a SEB rest for 14 months so far and no joy. I saw the JAK rest at the link above and ordered it and have used twice shooting F-class at 1,000 yards and am very happy with it.

One big bonus is the JAK costs about half what the SEB does and in my book that is pretty good.

I have been looking at the JAK rests and saw that they weigh 18lbs and was wandering how that compared to other rests. The reviews on the JAK rests were all positive remarks, actually this is why I posted this post, to see what users of the different style of rest liked about their rests and especially if someone changed from style to the other style rest and for what reason.
DS

Tuntav0321,
Thank you for the info. I did want to know the weights of the different rests. Your rests look like pieces of art, which lead me to the Viper website, very nice!!!

DS

I prefer the Farley Mfg Co-Axial II. I have played with SEB several times & they are nice but I do not see an advantage over the Farley and the Farley is Made in the USA!!!