• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-TR build suggestions?

Tgwhitley

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2021
Would like to build a 308 FTR budget is concern but not overriding factor. Suggestions appreciated on all components for rifle no glass at this time please.
If someone can point me to link that would be great, did quick search and found no information specific to my request. I am not experienced using this site.

Thank you
Tim

Hey Tim,

I'd suggest looking at the Berger SWN equipment lists for the past 3-4 years. I can save you some time though..

Action: Borden BRM or Kelbly Panda F-Class
Barrels: 29-31" finished length, 1:10 twist , Kreiger/Bart/Brux in a HV contour.
Trigger: Jewell, Bix, or Flavio down around 2-4oz
Stock: McMillan XITs, Master Class Stocks, Kelbly, something else custom? I'd push you towards an XIT with a RAD 2A personally. Mine don't have much recoil at all with the RAD, meanwhile it's a 308 shooting a 200gr bullet like 3-4gr over book max.
Bipod: Joypod or Phoenix
Reamer: A SAMMI .308 win with a .170-.180fb and a .342 neck is what you want for the 20x with unturned palma brass. 1 deg 30. Get it from JGS.
Rings: I like the NF Ti rings

Reloading Gear:
It matters in F-Class...a lot more than PRS if that's what you're coming from.
Bullets: Just shoot the 20x, don't even try anything else. Nothing is as good at 1k. Closer in you can get away with 185 jugs, but 20Xs are still the gold standard.
Powders: Varget or N150
Sizers: Doesn't matter the brand. FL bushing. Many National championships won with off the shelf dies/bushings. I use custom Whidden dies, but they don't shoot any different than a box stock redding or the like.
Seaters: Most are seating w/ Arbors using in-line seaters. The sinclair "click adjust" inline seaters by Wilson are really nice.
You'll probably want an AMP
You'll probably want an auto-trickler
I turn on a 21st powered lathe...just down to .014...enough to get a 100% cut, but not trying to take much off. Some guys report shooting really well without turning. Can of worms debate there.

Reloding advice:
You want to get the 20x moving about ~2615-2650fps; that's the fastest reasonably achievable node. It is what everyone else will be running in their guns.

In Palma brass, with N150 that usually means starting around 44gr and testing up to 44.8gr. With Varget that usually means starting at 43.6 and going up to 44.6 (varget has more variation). Don't try to find a load using low ES/SD in TR. Follow the target. Depth nodes are usually around ~.012-.018 off for my reamer. I don't know anyone jamming the 20x, and the farthest you commonly hear people run the 20x is ~.030 off.

You say not to mention a scope, but it gets kinda important due to the weight restrictions. The above configuration will allow you to run an NF Comp, Vortex Golden Eagle, or March HM. Anything heavier than those (~30oz) will be close to putting you over the limit.

Both my TR guns are 17.9x lbs with the bipods. I run them on Pandas/XITs/NF Comps, and will make minor adjustments to weight by adjusting barrel length.

Here is the 2022 equipment list:
1646072693851.png

Next latest equipment list I could find was for 2018:

Last edited:
easy with brass prep and all those nonsense:

Tim- Mike's info is spot on. Don't try an reinvent the wheel. You may well find a used rifle all ready to go. Even if the barrel is on it's last legs, having a new one spun up is no big deal.

Very well written suggestion/information Mike's post should be a sticky for questions about F-TR class rifles. I am very appreciative of all recommendations links and post's.

Tim