• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory .308 loads. What are the most accurate available

adluginb

#1 dad
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Thought this has been hashed before but I can't find the link. Not sure I have time work loads up for this year and was hoping I can get suggestions on the most accurate factory .308 loads.

FGMM 168gr & FGMM 175 gr. I have these but there are a lot of the match type bullets from different sources. I really don't want to buy a box of all say 20 match buttes to try and find out if any perform an better than federals.

If some that have shot both lapua 155, 165, 185 vs FGMM could chime in that would help.

Also if someone has the hornady amaxs in superformance vs FGMM

Or maybe just list your top five factory most accurate loads for The .308. I'm shooting a rem700 5R if that matters.

I'm only hunting does this year and more than likely I'll either be taking head shot or neck shots with these match rounds. I know there are probably better rounds for shooting through the chest but I'm confident the match round can put a deer down with a head shot.

Thanks

Unfortunately, only your rifle can tell you which gives you the best precision. If you're asking about what might be the best to try out for starters, I would recommend the following: FGMM 168s/175s, Black Hills 168s/175s, Hornady 168 Amax/178 BTHP (regular not Superformance). I've also had very good results with CorBon loads, including 155 Scenars and 190 gr SMKs, as well as Hornady 150 SSTs. But as I pointed out, which one works best is highly rifle-specific. Your best bet is to buy a box of a few different kinds and shoot them. Pick the best one and buy more. Only way to know for sure.

In factory Remington 700s (couple of 5Rs, an AAC-SD, and an XCR) I have gotten the most consistent and tight groups with Hornady's 168 Amax match load. This is compared to 155 Amax TAP, and FGMM 175 & 168.

I shot 2 boxes of everything and found my 700 308 likes these:

Norma TAC 150 - sub moa
PPU 168 Match - holes touching holes
both of these shot better than FGMM in any size.

Lately I'm finding IMI to be almost as good as the PPU Match (in my rifle).

Norma TAC rounds are so pretty they're fun to look at. Oooh! Shiney!!

Last edited:
I must agree with the sentiment already expressed that your answer will only come from firing in your rifle, however; no one has mentioned Lapua 308, E.A. Brown usually has a wide selection in stock, you end up with Lapua brass when you're done. No question it's high quality, but it is not cheap. As I understand your question, it is regarding factory loaded ammo, not what makes a good hand load.

I shot several slightly oval 1 hole groups at 200 with factory lapua 155 then just kept the brass and tried to match that load later they are nice , next in line would be fgmm 168s for me.

I've had good results with FGMM 168gn & 175gn, black hills also great. I've had good results with the Remington Premier match. They use 168 and 175 SMK

FGMM 308 175 smk.
to copy it , use 42.5gr imr 4064 in either federap or lapua brass. Both have approx same volume.

I've had wonderful luck with Hornady, any of their loads with the 168 AMAX, the custom load and the TAP shoot the same for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk