• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Ammo Recommendation for 6.5 Creedmoor 1/8 twist barrel

HammerForged

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2019
Henderson, NV
Can you guys help me out. Where would you start for Ammo for a 6.5 creedmoor Bergara B14 HMR with a 1/8 twist barrel? With the price of ammo, if you guys can clue me in to where I may want to start with ammo spec's it could save me an easy $100 jus narrowing it down. I know every rifle is different, but a general starting point would be great.

Thanks Guys!

The Berger line of ammo is definitely worth a look.
You also end up with a premium brass afterwards if you reload or sell it to recoup some of your cost.

Berger 130
Berger 135
Berger 140
Berger 144
Hornady 140 ELDM
Hornady 147 ELDM
Hornady 143 ELDX
Prime 130
Prime 140
Hornady 140 AG
Winchester 140 Match
Sig Sauer 140

Reactions: elwarpo
The good stuff is getting hard to find around here. Berger 130gn and Hornady 140, Hornady 143 or Hornady 147gn. Good luck finding it though.

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
Sellier and Bellot 140 FMJ BT was $11 a box here before the global economic restructuring. 6" steel target at 500 yards all day with every 6.5 rifle I've had out here. To include a Bergara Pro and HMR. Is it Berger quality? Hell no! But its factory ammo thats cheap and shoots. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jcmullis2
A lot for people have had problems with 147s blowing up. Otherwise most any factory match ammo should give good results. Even American Gunner does pretty well. I've been particularly impressed with the factory Berger stuff.

Ive shot the hornady AG 140bthp out of 3 different rifles , with sub moa results, and its done well for the second lowest price factory ammo on the market.

I was able to get my hands on 10 Boxes of 140 Grain Nosler Match. I figured that since I am so new, and ammo is so scarce, it's worth a shot if it gets me behind the gun. Anyone have experience with this particular ammo?

Will be keeping my eyes open for all of the recommendations made. I appreciate everyone's help in this forum.

2020-09-26 13.38.18.jpg

2020-09-26 13.38.18.jpg

I get my best results with:

Federal Gold Medal Berger, 130gr.
Prime, 130gr.

Close but not quite as consistent:

Hornady, 140gr. ELDM
Hornady, 143gr. ELDX

I just started testing out ammo in my new 24" 6.5 CM Bergara HMR. So far Hornady Match ELD 120 gr and 140 gr both provided sub moa 5 shot groups. The 120s have looked a little better, but I'm happy with either one depending on local availability.

Best for my 24” 1-8 twist has been 130 grain prime followed by hornady 140 Eldm and AG 140 grain

also pick up some plinking ammo, S&B... much cheaper and if you are ringing steel at less than 500 yards you probably will not see much of a difference.
Stello1001 posted a list that is good.

Honestly I would roll your own. You will make up the cost if you are shooting a lot or just want to stock up. Outside of that I would try prime or gorilla ammo.