• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Factory/custom trigger difference question.

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
Yes I used the search function, please don't say to do that! Post a link to another thread if my google-fu isn't as good as yours, but please don't say anything about it.

I've been wondering if I need a custom (timney, jewel) trigger. What is so good about them? Serious question. I won't name the brand of my target rifle, but it's the only non-hunting rifle I have. To me, not knowing better and never trying anything else, the trigger is great! Find the blade, apply a little pressure, and boom! But alot of you change out triggers...how come?

No this isn't a "my stock stuff is better than your custom stuff" thread either. I know that I'm the only one who can decide if the juice is worth the squeeze of getting a custom trigger, but I'd like you guys to tell me why you did? What makes them worth it? How does a the feel of a custom trigger vary from a factory one?

Re: Factory/custom trigger difference question.

No, you don't need one. You might want one.

Is this for a bench gun? Sure, go ahead. Is this for a competition gun? What kind of competitions? Depends. Is this for a combat gun? No, you shouldn't want one. All depends on what you plan to use the gun for.

You just said you liked your trigger. Leave it alone if it is so great. Some triggers are not good, which is why people might change them out.

I would recommend you try and find someone with an aftermarket trigger and see if they will let you send a few rounds. If you can't tell a night and day difference... then something is wrong or you have a very smooth factory trigger.

I run Timneys on quite a few rifles because I love the feel of their blades, the lack of creep and their crisp break (adjusted very low for my target rifles). Nobody can explain it to you, you just need to try one for yourself and see what you think.

I have a few Jewels as well, but to be honest I like the wider blade of the Timney personally.

I just purchased a Timney for my M1912 Chilean Mauser in .308 because the stock combat trigger is a POS. If you are comfortable with your own trigger, why change it just because other people subscribe to replacing them.

Some factory triggers will not adjust as low as the user prefer. Some have lots of travel, a gritty/creepy feel, and/or inconsistant pull. Some times its as simple as the shape/design of the shoe. A good smith, or you with proper knowledge and tools can probably tune your trigger to near aftermarket performance, but you have to get it right or it will become unsafe.

If you like what you have, don't change it, don't try an aftermarket one, and don't check it with a scale, its apt to ruin a perfectly good trigger, unless you're shooting competition, in which case you may be missing some consistency.

If you like what you have, my advice is to stop worrying about fixing what isn't broken. We all think too much and that's what this sounds like. That's not a criticism, it's just an observation.

Taking a SWAG regarding references to 'blade', 'non-hunting', and 'target rifle', I'm guessing we're talking about a Savage competition model rifle of some flavor or other, equipped with a competition Accu-Trigger. Some folks have issues with Accu-Trigger 'feel' and other esthetic matters. All I can say about that is 'I don't'.

If the pull is acceptably light, smooth, and not to long, you have a good trigger. Concerns about other issues really have no valid basis, and probabably fall under the 'grass is greener' heading.

My Savage comp rifle has a Sharpshooter Trigger. That's because my rifle originally came with the pre-Accu-Trigger setup, and that genuinely needed improvement for comp. It simply did not work well outside its pull weight design spec, and that spec was rather heavier than comp demanded. At the time, Savage was offering the Sharpshooter Trigger in the interim while they finished development on the Accu-Trigger, and that's why I chose it. All my other Savage rifles bear the Accu-Trigger, and honestly, I've never felt the need to alter them from the factory adjustment.

Greg

I just happen to call the trigger the blade, brain fart when I was typing.

Fair enough guys, thanks. It's just been eating at me, and like Greg said, it's one of those 'grass is greener' things. I was happy with my Nikon Monarch...until I got a Nightforce. I was happy with my factory barrel...until I got a custom one. I used to like making out...until a chick gave me a blowjob. I'd just be nagging at me if there was something better, even if it's not "needed". And mostly it was curiosity as to how a custom can feel different.

But anyways, my mind is appeased! thanks.