• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory remington 700

Killachicken90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2019
I just wanted to brag on this little bolt gun.. I picked up a remington 700 aac-sd in 6.5 creedmoor last month.. after alot of looking online and not finding much positive about them in their factory state.. I will brag on this one. This is also a testament to the vortex diamondback 6x24x50 also as I dialed back and forth all day and it tracked perfectly.. this is as much of a practical budget build that I can think of.
20191223_112631.jpg

First I zeroed in at 100 because it was significantly warmer than it was the last zero.

So off the bat I dialed in based on the ballistic program with very little information, and couldnt believe it but made impact on steel first shot.. Dialed a little and shot this 5 round group in the center.

20191223_113208.jpg

20191223_113228.jpg

20191223_111352.jpg

Dialed in to 800 and could not spot any impacts.. ended up going back to 600 and messing around between my rifle and my friends 7mm 08 hunting rifle.. decided to get serious about 800 with 13 rounds left so I sent 10 rounds never seeing any impacts.. on the last one a slight kick up of dust on the barrel made us think we should go down and check, sure enough there was a wad of holes on the barrel, so we went back and I milled it from the center of the steel to the center of the group on the barrel and dialed accordingly.. shot again and heard the impact but could not see inside the red. Shot 2 more to be sure and ended up with this 3 shot group.
20191223_141636.jpg
20191223_141608.jpg
20191223_124342.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of people hate on the factory 700s. But I've had good luck with them so far. My prs rifle is a 700 adl varmint I got from cabelas for 400$. I had a apa lil b gen2 ,Tactical bolt knob, Timney 510 installed. Dropped it in a krg bravo and put a vortex viper pst gen2 on it. So far I've had 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups at 100 yards with hornady 140 eld match. No complaints from me about the quality for what I have invested.

A lot of people hate on the factory 700s. But I've had good luck with them so far. My prs rifle is a 700 adl varmint I got from cabelas for 400$. I had a apa lil b gen2 ,Tactical bolt knob, Timney 510 installed. Dropped it in a krg bravo and put a vortex viper pst gen2 on it. So far I've had 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups at 100 yards with hornady 140 eld match. No complaints from me about the quality for what I have invested.

Yeah i dont really get it.. Other than a flemsey stock that I ended up stiffening up i dont have any complaints from mine either. Kind of got a goal set now to see how far I can shoot sub moa with it as factory as possible.

Besides the flimsy stocks the only complaint I have with Remington is the xmark trigger. I've got 4 laying around that I've either adjusted myself or had adjusted and they still aren't anything to brag about. That said I've felt much worse in factory rifles.

I’ve got a Remington 5r 308 that’s an absolute hammer. It’s far from stock but I love it. Gonna be adding this one to my collection.
Even the stock 5Rs are hammers. Should have never sold my 20”

Of the three people I know who snagged an AAC-SD (wife, brother, friend), managed to snag good ones. Got rid of the shit trigger in the wife’s and put in a TT Special. Fun little 308.

I've found them to be super hit or miss. They can make incredible starter guns if you get a decent barreled action, but the stock and trigger have to go straight away most of the time.

I’ve got a Remington 5r 308 that’s an absolute hammer. It’s far from stock but I love it. Gonna be adding this one to my collection.
Even the stock 5Rs are hammers. Should have never sold my 20”

Yep, out of the box mine shot cloverleafs.

When I first go int LR I looked at doing a build for $3K. Fortunately somebody steered me to the 5R and I thoght, "Why spend 3K when this one will do more than Im capable for 1K. Couldnt be happier.

I have the same rifle. It shoots good. The only bitch I have is the trigger pins are loose. They would back out while shooting. I called Remington to ask for new pins. Nope. They wanted me to send the rifle back. I used a roll pin starter punch to pien? the holes, GTG.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I picked up one of the AAC 6.5 barreled actions from Euro optic and a manners stock at the same time. So far it’s been sub MOA with factory Sig 140gr ammo. I would suggest going that direction if you do not plan on using the stock/bottom metal because it’s $499 right now with a $50 SPs rebate.

I picked up one of the AAC 6.5 barreled actions from Euro optic and a manners stock at the same time. So far it’s been sub MOA with factory Sig 140gr ammo. I would suggest going that direction if you do not plan on using the stock/bottom metal because it’s $499 right now with a $50 SPs rebate.

Yeah this is the one I’m picking up. I have no desire for the hogue stock. Probably going to put it in a KRG bravo

I have my 6.5's in a KRG X Ray and MDT Oryx. The bullets did not feed from a detachable box magazine. I had to notch the feed ramps about an 1/8 so the round would feed.

I have my 6.5's in a KRG X Ray and MDT Oryx. The bullets did not feed from a detachable box magazine. I had to notch the feed ramps about an 1/8 so the round would feed.
Did your magazines not have the binder plate?

Have an older pss in .300 mag. I lapped the bolt lugs, bedded it into its Hs precision stock, and cut and threaded the barrel to 24 with a new crown. 3/4 moa all day with black hills 190 match

I think that the dimension of the blind magazines puts the bullets futher back in the mag well. Then switching to DBM pushes the whole magazine forward. The first round feeds fine. The second round can't come up because the tip of the bullet is stuck under the feed lip. I posted pictures in the Oryx thread.

I think that the dimension of the blind magazines puts the bullets futher back in the mag well. Then switching to DBM pushes the whole magazine forward. The first round feeds fine. The second round can't come up because the tip of the bullet is stuck under the feed lip. I posted pictures in the Oryx thread.
Remington’s feed fine from box magazines. Regular AI and Accurate mags do not let the rounds move forward enough to slide under the feed ramp. This is the purpose of the binder plate. Seems like the MDT mags you have are longer inside which is why you had to modify the action.

No room for a binder plate.

Attachments

• 15773638566101819713006701517498.jpg
    15773638566101819713006701517498.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 41
Good shooting sir, I love my AAC-SD .308 too. IMO these are still one of the best values on the market in a bolt rifle. But most people want what's new and trendy and the same 700 that grandpa and dad shot in the 60's is not.

Last edited:
Good shooting sir, I love my AAC-SD .308 too. IMO these are still one of the best values on the market in a bolt rifle. But most people want what's new and trendy and the same 700 that grandpa and dad shot in the 60's is not.

Thank you! I agree 100%

Mine was a bust nothing better than 1 moa. trued the action and re barreled it and now it shoots .3 to .4 moa consistently using a bipod.
Now, my factory 700P shoots .5 with FGM and even better with hand loads.

I was one of those Remington doubters, but no so much lately. The Remingtons stories I heard and witnessed pretty much put me off to Savage. But things have been improving with both brands.

I started with a Rem 700 VLS 223. It's literally the only rifle I've ever worn a barrel out on. Loved it, but when the competition scores started to sag, I gifted it to my SIL as Varmint gun; and it soldiers on just fine at that to this day, with nearly three decades of heavy use in it. It taught me a lot about good shooting and handloading; and while I don't miss it, I respect it.

Greg

I can't get my .308 AAC-SD to shoot. Replaced the stock with a magpul hunter, and swapped the trigger for a timney 510. Best 5 shot groups I have shot are 1.25 - 1.5 inches at 100 yards. That was with 168 FGMM, but I have tried probably 20 different factory loads. I don't hand load, but I was still hoping to get better accuracy then this.

I have swapped shooters and scopes just to be sure.

I sent it back to Remington, they re-crowned it, but it still shoots the same.

Common knowledge seems to be that it is probably the barrel and that the action shouldn't have to much to do with the accuracy. So hopefully a remage would fix it???

Last edited:
I can't get my .308 AAC-SD to shoot. Replaced the stock with a magpul hunter, and swapped the trigger for a timney 510. Best 5 shot groups I have shot are 1.25 - 1.5 inches at 100 yards. That was with 168 FGMM, but I have tried probably 20 different factory loads. I don't hand load, but I was still hoping to get better accuracy then this.

I have swapped shooters and scopes just to be sure.

I sent it back to Remington, they re-crowned it, but it still shoots the same.

Common knowledge seems to be that it is probably the barrel and that the action shouldn't have to much to do with the accuracy. So hopefully a remage would fix it???
Mine was exactly like that, nothing better than an inch. In my case one of the issues was that the barrel was canted to the right. The gunsmith said it hac to do with the recoil lug. I also think the ACC barrels are hit or miss, you hear of people getting half an inch out of this rifles and others that won’t shoot worth a shit, like ours.
If you ever decide to buy a factory 700 again go for the police models or the 5Rs.