• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

factory savage or custom?

beaubear123

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am new to ranges longer than 500 yards and about to get a new rifle. I was pretty certain that i would get a .300 win mag Savage long range hunter but was looking for other options. i can get a savage LRH for about $800. Can a custom Rifle be built for about the same price? I would like to include a muzzle break in the total cost. I am more concerned with accuracy that cost but let's be realistic, a $1,500 gun is out of the question for my budget. Can it be done as accurate as the savage LRH for less money?

Re: factory savage or custom?

Just buy a factory Savage and a lot of ammo and shoot the crap out of it.

Asking if a "custom" rifle can be built for $800 is not stupid per se, but is not really the question you want to ask. If you're talking a full-blown custom than you're not even close. $1500 is not even close.

Savages are more than accurate across their lines. You can have a muzzle brake added by a competent smith.

Get it, shoot it, forget it

Most of my savage rifles are well under 1 moa at 1-500 yards. I was just looking for a cost effective way to get .5 moa or better at a longer range. Maybe "trueing" a factory savage long action and an aftermarket barrel would be an option? I do handload but have never owned a .300 winmag so have no experiance with this round.

I would say refine your handloading as much as possible. The savages I have loaded for all shot very well with good handloads.

I ll second shooting the piss out of it and not worrying about it. There is no reason you cannot get consistent 3/4 minute performance from the rifle with good loads and good driving. I have had 3 different ones and all shot something similar to that once I got them figured out.

That said, you could go for a good recrown on the barrel, maybe get the action timed, a nice match barrel or a bed job or chassis stock.

If I were doing it I would get whatever one I liked the stock on (with proper boltface etc), get a match barrel on it and a bedding job. Both can be done in the garage if you are tight on cash.

Do a semi custom Savage. Go here http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/in...p;topic=37874.0 and buy a long action, the magnum boltface 111 action is sold but Midwayusa sells them pretty reasonably and Youtube has the vids on how to change your own boltface then go here http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/in...p;topic=36262.0 and get a Krieger/Criterion barrel and the trigger of your choice and the stock that best fits you all for less than your $1500 budget. Good luck

+1 on a savage for now. I have two and love them death. As far as accuracy goes, I have tailored my handloads down to one ragged hole (.3 moa) with an average of .45 and that's all on complete factory specs, doesn't even have the accustock. .325 wsm. Also I am currently building a full on custom. The money difference is a completely different league!!!
Get the savage, shoot it, and enjoy it!

You could build a savage from the ground up for about 900, you are going to be subject to some waiting periods. It will shoot awesome, but for 800 you could get a used Fcp10-mcmillan, or a new fcp-k.
If your interested in a sub 900 dollar build
-stevens action-235
criterion barrel shipped-300
SSS comp trigger-100
Choate Tactical stock-230
Recoil lug-25
Shipping/FFL 45?

total 935. You could very components to be more or less.

I agree with the suggestions to build your own Savage. Only suggestion I would make is to consider Mcgowen barrels. I know several guys that have used them with great success. I have my second on the way now for a Savage. Their turn around time is great. About 7 weeks now. And they give a discount for first time customers. That's what I would do for my first rig if I could go back. You can't go wrong that route. Don't forget about the Stevens action either. Its the exact same. I also know guys that use them with great success! Its about 75 bucks cheaper I believe. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

What range and what type of targets do you plan to shoot?

If you're not planning on going past 800 yards, look at the 6mm br. This cartridge will definitely give you the accuracy you desire and you can get a foctory savage in the caliber.

If you're looking for ballistics equal (less downrange energy) to the 300, bulid a custom savage in a 260.

The savage rifles are just what you're looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What range and what type of targets do you plan to shoot?

If you're not planning on going past 800 yards, look at the 6mm br. This cartridge will definitely give you the accuracy you desire and you can get a foctory savage in the caliber.

If you're looking for ballistics equal (less downrange energy) to the 300, bulid a custom savage in a 260.

The savage rifles are just what you're looking for. </div></div>

+1 on reconsidering caliber. Unless you will be playing past 1250-1300 yards, OR need downrange energy to kill big critters, there are a number of other calibers that make more sense. 260, 7-08, 7-08AI, 284, 300WSM, 7WSM, 7RSAUM, 6.5x47L and the list goes on and on. 300WM is great, but reloading belted ammo does require xtra tricks, plus you'll have a heap of recoil/blast if you wanna use the caliber for what it can do.

On actions: I totally agree with those saying to do a DIY build on a Savage/Stevens action. You'll end up with a sweet barrel, trigger and stock for little more than a factory gun with factory barrel, trigger and stock...all of which you'll probably want to upgrade a lityle ways down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a semi custom Savage. Go here http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/in...p;topic=37874.0 and buy a long action, the magnum boltface 111 action is sold but Midwayusa sells them pretty reasonably and Youtube has the vids on how to change your own boltface then go here http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/in...p;topic=36262.0 and get a Krieger/Criterion barrel and the trigger of your choice and the stock that best fits you all for less than your $1500 budget. Good luck </div></div>

Jim at Northland Shooter Supply is a great resource for Savage actions and parts.

I love my CBI barrel I got from him.

On a side note, why are you settled on such a big cartridge?? It's gonna be a pain in the shoulder and cost a lot of fire. You can easily get out to the range you want with a 7mm, 6.5mm or 6mm round.

My brother shoots an ar-30 in .300winmag and with a millet long range scope. I love most things about it and with the "tank" break, the recoil is less than my winchester 30-30. With this gun and about 1 hour figuring out the setup, i was able to shoot sub moa at 500 yards with custom loads he made. Im not new to guns or long range but it took years to get that accuracy with my guns at a shorter range. Alas the gun is ugly as sin and to much money. I reload 30-30, 30-06, and have great luck with the .30 bullet at most ranges so the .300winmag makes sense and compleats the "family". i would just like to have more range to hone my skills, not exactly for hunting but maybe if the shot of a lifetime came, I wouldn't want to miss it.

My grandfather was a machinest his entire life. When asking a bout a similar custom rifle to the one you mentioned he said something like 'The perfectly set rifle, will shoot perfect. without truing the action and the perfect seats and headspace, your custom will just be a pretty paperweight' Any truth to what he says? I imagine the gunsmithing would drive the cost up substancially.

Thank you everyone for your patiance and responses. I am grateful for your direction.

I bought my savage fcp-k for 800 or so. Bone stock from factory it can get better than .5MOA, but average is closer to .75MOA. The MOA shouldn't matter if its at 100 yards or 1000 as long as its still supersonic and thats with factory loads. People that reload have no problem with getting .5MOA, so think about that.

May I ask about barrel weight or is it posable to add weight to the stock? also the break is less aggressive than the ar-30 break. What is the recoil comparable to? Is $1300 a good used price with a harris bipod and a vortex viper pst 6-24x50? I'm really leaning toward this route.

+1 on a .260 Rem. My .260 Savage LRP is a .5 MOA shooter and all I've done is swap the Accutrigger for a SSS Comp trigger. Extremely flat shooting with very little recoil. Southwest Ammunition is the place for quality target ammo if you don't want to handload for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the suggestions to build your own Savage. Only suggestion I would make is to consider Mcgowen barrels. I know several guys that have used them with great success. I have my second on the way now for a Savage. Their turn around time is great. About 7 weeks now. And they give a discount for first time customers. That's what I would do for my first rig if I could go back. You can't go wrong that route. Don't forget about the Stevens action either. Its the exact same. I also know guys that use them with great success! Its about 75 bucks cheaper I believe. Good luck and let us know what you decide. </div></div>

I tried a McGowan, it had a messed up chamber as many people who ordered their barrels reported. I would just spend a few more bucks and get the CBI. It is worth it.

I would definately buy a Savage... look for a Model 10 FCP in HS Precision. You can get them with 5r rifling, fluted and threaded barrel for about $1050! Spend the other $450 on ammo and start hitting targets!

My advice would be to get a Savage Model 11 Long Range Hunter chambered for .260 Rem, get a medium price range scope that goes to at least 20X, and shoot it until the barrel wears out.

Unless you need to anchor a large hunk of meat at significant distance, the .300WM is overkill, and I mean it's killin' you. The .260 will shoot comparable or better trajectories, cost less to feed, and has far, far more manageble recoil.

I just brought home a Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max I .260, and the nonstop rain is driving me nuts. I'm dyin' to get it out and shoot it.

Greg