• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Factory Seconds

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Does anyone shoot "factory seconds" through their rifle? Graf and sons is selling 168 Gr. HPBT Match for $26 per 100 and that includes shipping. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Adam

Depends on your use. Serious Match shooter? No. I haven't found anything wrong with mine, but why take a chance for match ammo.

General use, ringing steel etc? yes. And Powder Valley has 175 grainers on their specials page for 116 bucks for 500. Again, no problems IME.

What about load development? Are they good enough for groups at 100 yards?

Sent from my NSA tapped mobile device using Tap-a-Talk

I believe the ones from powdervalley are actually 175 SMK. I found them to be just as accurate but I am just a casual shooter. They shoot easily under 1/2 moa if you do your part.

I believe the ones from powdervalley are actually 175 SMK. I found them to be just as accurate but I am just a casual shooter. They shoot easily under 1/2 moa if you do your part.

My experience exactly. I can't tell the difference in the 2nds and top of the line, but "casual shooter" fits me. A real pro might be able to tell a difference.

SMK and Nosler are as good as the firsts. I ordered a few hundred of the Grafs 168 seconds and the only difference was a little oxidation on the bullets. They were not nasty, just looks like they were stored open to the air for a while. Bullet to bullet variance was just as good as off the shelf SMK's.

I have a few hundred of the graf's seconds in 175. Basically 175 SMKs, some with dinged tips, and a little variation on weights. At 100 and 200 yards the target can't tell. Definitely worth shooting, and not just because I can't seem to find SMKs around here.

Shoot em up!

Savage11022335grVmax13grBlueDot100yardsfirstgroupfromnewbarrel59-18-2013.jpg
    5 shots at 100 yards with blem Vmax .224" 33 gr that cost 7.7 cents each, I bought ~ 3,000
    Lothar Walther barrel chambered 223
    257 Roberts Ackley Impoved 100 gr Hndy 100 yards  42 gr 4895 2007-1-31.jpg
    4 shots @100yards 257 100 gr HNDY SP blem 4.3 cents each, I bought ~ 1000
    Lothar Walther barrel chambered 257 Roberts Ackley Improved

Same here. Got a .209" center to center 3-shot group @ 100 yds with these same bullets.

If you want to check the specs on your seconds, more than weigh and OD, to see how close they are take a vernier and measure your boat tail length, measure from the junction line to the base. Take a small piece of piano wire and forceps and measure your cavity depth, stick the wire into the bullet until it makes contact with the core and but the forceps up to the meplat and clamp the wire, measure with a vernier. Check the radius from boat tail to base, keep like radii together for best results. Also check base to ogive length, there should never be more than .010 variation in a lot for green box. I don't have measurements for what boat tail length or cavity depth should be anymore (I used to work at Sierra) but if anybody is interested I can probably get them. One of the things I noticed working there, when checking ballistics and accuracy on bullets, aside from weight being off, is cavity depth. For whatever it's worth

If you want to check the specs on your seconds, more than weigh and OD, to see how close they are take a vernier and measure your boat tail length, measure from the junction line to the base. Take a small piece of piano wire and forceps and measure your cavity depth, stick the wire into the bullet until it makes contact with the core and but the forceps up to the meplat and clamp the wire, measure with a vernier. Check the radius from boat tail to base, keep like radii together for best results. Also check base to ogive length, there should never be more than .010 variation in a lot for green box. I don't have measurements for what boat tail length or cavity depth should be anymore (I used to work at Sierra) but if anybody is interested I can probably get them. One of the things I noticed working there, when checking ballistics and accuracy on bullets, aside from weight being off, is cavity depth. For whatever it's worth
    Thanks for the inside info!

PV doesnt have any. I was looking at Graf and Sons, but then realized they are all out of stock on them.

Sent from my NSA tapped mobile device using Tap-a-Talk

I've got a few thousand of the Midway blems which are Hornady seconds in 6mm 105 bthp and 6.5mm 140 AMax. Have not seen any difference between them and Hornady box bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Shooters Pro Shop carries a lot of Nosler seconds which shoot and kill just as well as factory firsts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk