• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Winchester Heavy Varmint

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
Here is a rifle I took in trade from another member on this board. A transaction that went super smooth I might add. It's a rifle you don't see to many of, and not often for sale. I do love Winchester Model 70s, only you would never guess because i only build on 700s, and only talk about 700s. Reason for the post is to show what a factory rifle can do when done correctly from the start is capable of. I have no intentions of adding or changing anything about this rifle, as I want to keep it original. It has just at 1000 rounds through it now. The targets were shot with hand loads, and factory match ammo. The factory FGMM 168s fit very snuggly in the factory chamber.
Here are a few pics of both the rifle, and targets.

DSC_0025-1_zpsbcc1ae6a.jpg

DSC_0026-1_zps90f45897.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsbec0ea07.jpg

DSC_0028-1_zps1bf3d4fb.jpg

This pic is of 6 FGMM 168s. Only one is outside the hole.
mail1_zpse1c82847.jpg

This pic is of a load I use on my other 308s. It is a Fed case, 43.5 grains of Varget behind a 168 AMAX.
mail12_zpsaa228362.jpg

Re: Factory Winchester Heavy Varmint

I have owned Heavy Varmints in 223, 22/250 and a 308. All easily shot sub .75 and are/were one of the best deals ever for the money in a factory rifle.

They used Wilson barrels on them. Bought a couple of new 243's from a gent on Gunbroker that is a Wilson dealer. Cut one off, rethreaded it for a 700 and chambered to 6x47L. It will shoot 70TNT's or 70 Sierra's unbelievable. Have a target around somwhere of 3 shots that measured .170 IIRC with the HVT on. and at 20".

Sold my 22/250 to a neighbor and that would consistently shoot around 1/2". Sold the 308 to Lindy here on the Hide. Probably still getting use at Rifles Only.

Just great rigs for the $500ish selling price when new.

I bought one of these new in late 80's or early 90's. With Federal GM 168gr, shoots clover leafs at 200 yards if you do your part. Only mods are a skim coat of bedding, a little trigger work, and painting the barrel black.

Somewhere, I read that the barrels for these were made by Hart for Winchester. Great rifle.

I still can't get over it. A lot of people starting out in precision shooting that don't have a lot of money to spend really should consider one of these for a starter. They will be spoiled. I need another rifle like I need a hole in my head, but next year I might start a hunt for one of these in 223.

For a factory rifle they are very hard to beat. A Winchester Heavy Varmint in .22-250 was my my first bolt gun purchase 19 years ago and I still have the rifle. Its one of the few that I have procured over the years that I have hung on to. As a matter of fact, I had it out yesterday to 600 yards and I have to admit, it held its own.. The only mod I made to the rifle was a dura-coat job done by yours truly back in 2010. Other than that, its bone stock and holds a 1/2 moa or better with IMR 4320 and 55gr Nosler BT's. This is one rifle I'll never let go...

IMG_5132_zps701a2312.jpg

IMG_5133_zpsd5db4fe3.jpg

IMG_5134_zpsd69fba7c.jpg

Yeah, they are Wilson barrels. That's a really nice rifle Bobby. I wont let go either. I do wish it had a little more padding on the butt plate, but I put 50 rounds through it yesterday, and had no negative results today. Therefore it stays as is.

Nice. What barrel contour is that?

I've got a blue one. It was my first serious target rifle and flat out shoots. Mine has a badger base and williams bottom metal. Its going to accurate ordnance for a chop and thread job very soon.

Precision Shooting magazine had a series of 'Match Rifle on a Budget' articles in the mid-90s that featured these.

I have a 308 & a 223, and both are great shooters.

This pic is of a load I use on my other 308s. It is a Fed case, 168 Amax <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">behind</span></span> 43.5 grains of Varget.

let me know how that works, putting the bullet behind the powder

crazy.gif

just kidding, nice looking rifle, i need to get me a winny

Never have understood everyone fascination with the Remington 700. The ONLY thing it has going for it is the replacement parts. If you start with a better action, there isnt nearly as much that needs replacement. The CRF actions feed and function extremely smoothly. I would rather have a trued Win/FN 70 than any Rem or its clones, including custom actions.

Both of my older children wore out mine in 243. It absolutely loved the 105 a max but to seat one out to the lands now makes it a single loader. Yeah that much is gone.

groundhog005.jpg

DSC01742_zpsac749891.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stealthgoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precision Shooting magazine had a series of 'Match Rifle on a Budget' articles in the mid-90s that featured these.

I have a 308 & a 223, and both are great shooters. </div></div>

I read the article. Guy put a stripper guide and aperture sights on a .223. I had a .308 that was the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. It was the least finicky rifle (factory or not) I have had. It shot 150 grainers up to 190s into very small groups. My first sub-moa groups came out of it's tube

Bob L. Swagger
Beautiful set up and great job on the Dura-coat; it makes me feel like looking for one of these. I always had Remington 700's but also always heard good reports on the Winchester. All the little VC guys who could testify of it's accuracy cannot talk anymore and their buds are still running.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire