• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FAIL: Crane lifting pool crushes house.

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Doh!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7MfHsLT9hY&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7MfHsLT9hY&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: FAIL: Crane lifting pool crushes house.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/223eJKe6Pg4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/223eJKe6Pg4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thats exactly what would have come out of my mouth....GODDAMNIT111111 at top volumne. When it said crushed I was expecting more damage though. At least he got the chimney. And probably fired.

good post.

The definition of derp... Man that sucks. What kind of insurance covers gravity and cranes?

Poor guy! That will take ALOT more pool installations to cover the cost of damage. I wonder how long the crane operator has been operating cranes.

He was supposed to boom out first and then boom down.
Operator error.

Appears to be too much stick and the wrong crane for the application and reach.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Yeah, I would hate to be the guy who was operating that crane!

Interviewer: So, why did you leave your last job?

Operator: I didn't have a choice in the matter. I was fired for destroying someone's house.

Interviewer: Okay, well...that wraps up any questions I may have. We'll keep your application on file for six months.

After the guy leaves, the faint sound of a paper shredder can be heard coming from the interviewers office.

Killshot,

I'm thinking that the interviewer's next question would be more along the lines of "do you ever get any irrepressible urge to throw our french-Fries at people?".

So he may still have a chance.
smile.gif

That happened near where I live. I use that crane company and they said it was a computer gone haywire.

I've lifted a lot of stuff in my career - I would have done a few things different on that lift!

No tag lines on the load - with something that large, you hafta make sure it does not swing away from the crane, a light breeze can move it a couple feet, and that is more than it takes sometimes.

I would however, have said the same thing if I had lost the load!

I'm not an operator but have had to use cranes for over thirty years to fly trusses, HVAC equipment such as cooling towers and roof top package units, as well as other heavy bulky shit.

I too noticed the absence of tag lines to keep the pool from spinning. Additionally, the crane seemed to be at it's limits given the distance down the driveway relative to the placement of the pool's location. I don't think a 90 degree positioning placement would have made a difference.

It's possible the operator gambled on the geometry of the lift rather than take the heat of the pool contractor after telling him it might be too risky of a lift.

Definitely all of $10,000-$20,000 in damage to the house and landscape, maybe more.

Perhaps the concrete pool industry will see this and use it in their marketing: Those fiberglass pools don't go in as quickly as one might always hope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not an operator but have had to use cranes for over thirty years to fly trusses, HVAC equipment such as cooling towers and roof top package units, as well as other heavy bulky shit.

I too noticed the absence of tag lines to keep the pool from spinning. Additionally, the crane seemed to be at it's limits given the distance down the driveway relative to the placement of the pool's location. I don't think a 90 degree positioning placement would have made a difference.

It's possible the operator gambled on the geometry of the lift rather than take the heat of the pool contractor after telling him it might be too risky of a lift.

Definitely all of $10,000-$20,000 in damage to the house and landscape, maybe more.

Perhaps the concrete pool industry will see this and use it in their marketing: Those fiberglass pools don't go in as quickly as one might always hope! </div></div>

More, QQ. Im a mason and i wouldnt look at that chimney for less than $8-10,000. By the time you did the clean up, a really thourough inspection, and took all the time to make sure the new work was indecernable from the old.....A lot of work.

At least the operator may keep his jpb if the comany admited computer failure.

Armchair QB'ing is always fun!!!

Seems another thing to do would also to have been lowering the pool as the boom was extending. No reason to keep it that high. I would think you would want it to just barely clear anything over the ground. That way if you did start to fall you wouldn't go far.

Oh, this was not a fiberglass pool of your typical variety. This was one of those 'endless' pools that people use for swimming. So it comes in the complete form like this.

Hmmm.... Shoulda gone with gunnite and plaster.

They do realize that for the cost of the crane,shipping the prefab pool, the associated insurance surcharges, etc they could have built one hell of a pool in place.

They would still have to take a section of fence out, but it would be a hell of alot less invasive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why even bother to deploy the outriggers when lifting over the back of the crane??? the truck should have been facing 90 dregrees to the lift or as close as poosible to 90 degrees </div></div>Actually, the crane is most stable lifting over the front. He should have pulled into the driveway nose first. He also should have extended his boom first, before lowering, his stick was way too low. He should have added some ballast weights to the back end as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armchair QB'ing is always fun!!!

Seems another thing to do would also to have been lowering the pool as the boom was extending. No reason to keep it that high. I would think you would want it to just barely clear anything over the ground. That way if you did start to fall you wouldn't go far.

Oh, this was not a fiberglass pool of your typical variety. This was one of those 'endless' pools that people use for swimming. So it comes in the complete form like this. </div></div>

lowering the boom that low was one of the problems. ive been around them for awhile and not one operater ive worked with would boom that low exspecially with that much boom.