• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Failure To Cock....

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
I knew that title would get some attention....

Ok, so here is my problem.... I have a Winchester Model 70 Post 64 Action. While at the Rayner's Range Sniper Match on this past week-end I started having this problem during the last two stages. I would fire my first shot, and then cycle the bolt. I would then squeeze the trigger and "No" bag. Thinking I didn't strip a round out of the magazine, I cycled the bole again, and watch a live round fly out and land in the leafs. This time I squeeze the trigger, and everything was fine, "Bang". Then on the next stage I fired a round, cycled the bolt, and "No" bang again. Knowing what happened last time, this time I lifted the bolt handle and lowered the bolt handle. I then squeezed the trigger, and "No" bang again. I raised and lowered the bolt handle a couple more times, but my time had expired.

Any help would be appreciated....
wink.gif

Re: Failure To Cock....

BTDT, heavy up your trigger a 1/4 turn.

It's easy to go too light on a Winny trigger (to use a 1911 term) you firing pin is "Puppy Dogging" or following the bolt home. A little extra grease or too little lube will make it inconsistent as you are describing as well as the "match pressure" is probably making you drive the bolt faster than you would normally.

$ .02 from the cheap seats.

Cheers,

Doc

Check sear engagement on trigger. If you close the bolt slowly does it cock? Then try is fast and see what happens. Also the poundage might need to be increased.

Simple trigger. That is what is best about it. Doesn't like less than 2 pounds or so. Take the action out of the stock and assess the problem visually. Springs may have taken a set, or dirt, or old grease, or any number of things. Clean it real good with Naptha (lighter fluid) and look it over. Good thing about those triggers is that they are all out in the open.

Is it a factory trigger?

Check to see if the trigger pin has walked out or if there is an obstruction. There could also be a problem with you safety is the flag moving during bolt function?

High Speed Shooting Systems
James Thomas
(509) 945-6623

It's a jewel trigger that I had professionally installed, and set to 1.5lbs.... Fast or slow.... All is good now, but I still can't figure out what the heck was going on. It was colder outside than it is in my house. Could that have been a factor? Then again, I have been shooting this rifle in competitions since January of this year, and I've shot it in colder weather.... I can always tune it to 2lbs, and then take the rifle to the range and beat on it like I was at the match....
wink.gif

like excaliber said start with sear engagment first. If it is not set properly it will allow the pin to drop when you slam the bolt hard enough or bounce the butt of the rifle. Adjust it a quarter turn at a time until you feel comfortable it is reliable. I always seal mine with some clear nail polish to make sure they dont move once set.

Didn't ever read the post. The title made me laugh/snort. I'm such a bad girl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't ever read the post. The title made me laugh/snort. I'm such a bad girl. </div></div>

Don't "laugh/snort" too hard young lady(I typed hard
shocked.gif
), someday when your buck gets old you'll realize that them same 3 words don't have to neccasarily apply to firearms or shooting forums.
smile.gif

What used to be a nusiance as a teen is something to gloat over not many years later!

One word of advice. Contrary to one of the other responder's comments, DO NOT put Laquer or nail polish on the screws of a Jewell trigger.

I have had the exact same problems with a Jewel in my field rifles and have gone back to the good old two lever Winchester trigger.

The Jewel has tight tolerances and debris & congealed lube can hinder the movement of the trigger internals. A couple of things that will help are to clean the trigger from the top down with lighter fluid and also increase the over-travel of the trigger. This increased movement seems to help move the crap in the trigger out of the way and let everything function like it should.

You're right docEd missed the part where he said jewell trigger it later post.