• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Failure to Extract, CCI SV

reichco457

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2019
Redondo Beach, CA
I went to the range yesterday and had an issue with a recently purchase brick of CCI SV from one of the boxes of 50 within the brick.

I was shooting with my CZ 457 VPT and opened up another new box. The rounds would fire, however when I cycled another round the previous casing did not eject, and the new round bullet would butt up against the chambered casing. This would happened on each round. I would need to stop and extract the spent casing manually with a small screw
driver.
After a few times of this, I tried other ammo, CCI Mini Mags, Wolf, SK....all were successful to extract after firing. So I placed the other CCI SV rounds from that box and had the same issue .problem again. All the other Rounds from the CCI SV brick from other boxes had no issue.

Is this just quality control? It took a bit to figure it out? Has anybody else had this issue before? Thanks!

Yes, I'd say it is just bad QC.
And because CCI quality control is bad by standard, on this box it was probaly non existent.

Yes, I'd say it is just bad QC.
And because CCI quality control is bad by standard, on this box it was probaly non existent.
Thanks for your comment, my groupings were decent at 50yards, for inexpensive .22lr ammo
CF93C068-4AAE-4871-AD22-70D57788AA46.jpeg

That is incredible. I wish my CCI SV was that good.
I have 21” Lilija barrel .990, I have had good luck with SV, but yesterday was a first for failing to extract. Paid $3.49 a box plus California extortion tax at Big 5 , the sales people are always helpful!

I have 21” Lilija barrel .990, I have had good luck with SV, but yesterday was a first for failing to extract. Paid $3.49 a box plus California extortion tax at Big 5 , the sales people are always helpful!
I hope my Lilja will be as good! Those groups done with CCI SV would leave many shooters full of envy

Reactions: reichco457
CCI has had QC issues with SV fo awhile now. I have had many with no powder in them an many that were lacking priming mix in 100% of the rim. I shoot about 500-600 each week an have failures of same all the time. Once I'm out of CCI I am switching to Aguila until they get the issues fixed. I don't have issues with the CCI ammo but the SV has been giving issues for a long time now. Only about 2 cases to go, an I'll be switching.

I hear CCI SV casings are slightly larger/out of spec sometimes. Especially on a tighter match chamber, things get stuck. My Ruger 10/22 Match Barrel will not extract CCI SV live rounds, but it has no problem with SK/Center-X, etc. So given that, spent casings would also equally be harder to extract.

CCI has had QC issues with SV fo awhile now. I have had many with no powder in them an many that were lacking priming mix in 100% of the rim. I shoot about 500-600 each week an have failures of same all the time. Once I'm out of CCI I am switching to Aguila until they get the issues fixed. I don't have issues with the CCI ammo but the SV has been giving issues for a long time now. Only about 2 cases to go, an I'll be switching.
I have not tried Aguilar, I tried Prime, at 50 yards and no consistency at all. Thanks for earlier response!

I hear CCI SV casings are slightly larger/out of spec sometimes. Especially on a tighter match chamber, things get stuck. My Ruger 10/22 Match Barrel will not extract CCI SV live rounds, but it has no problem with SK/Center-X, etc. So given that, spent casings would also equally be harder to extract.
Good to know, at first I thought the cause was the Extractor? It’s hard to find the better grade .22lr in Los Angeles.
If anybody has suggestions on good retail SK, Wolf, Eley please let me know. Bruno’s in AZ off Hwy 17 Phoenix has all the best .22lr. Unfortunately no more mail order to our homes, needs to go to a FFL.

Good to know, at first I thought the cause was the Extractor? It’s hard to find the better grade .22lr in Los Angeles.
If anybody has suggestions on good retail SK, Wolf, Eley please let me know. Bruno’s in AZ off Hwy 17 Phoenix has all the best .22lr. Unfortunately no more mail order to our homes, needs to go to a FFL.

https://www.laxammo.com/ is in Inglewood. Do they have a store front?

Eley Target, Contact, and Edge shoot really well out of my rifles. Unfortunately they don't SK or Lapua.

Lax ammo is where I get eley contact,,,
Cci sv for usually about 26 for 500
T1x likes both those ammo
Not sure about 457
Their prices are some of the cheapest in so cal

Which Aguila are you going to switch to? I really like the 1070fps of the CCI SV. I've tried some Aguila but they weren't subsonic.
This one
I've shot about 2K rds of it an it's been 100%. Only draw back to me is the smell, but it's not a game changer. I've tried the Remington SubSonic an it's been all over the place, but some of the other ammo I've tried from Aguila is subsonic in my S&W 22 compact but not so in a rifle. The comps I shoot with the 22's if you break the SB your disqualified for the next 2 matches. There matches require cans on all guns, so as not to draw attention to where they are shot at & whats close by. Plus most of the time it's Zero dark thirty when we are shooting.

Reactions: lash
Have you thought about looking into an aftermarket extractor? Not all parts are created equal.

Which Aguila are you going to switch to? I really like the 1070fps of the CCI SV. I've tried some Aguila but they weren't subsonic.
I know very little of the manuf. I will need to look into this, by a few boxes and try it? Open to suggestion from the forum.....

I have a couple bricks of SV and tried it in both my Vudoo V-22's. It extracts and ejects fine but very difficult to close the bolt on loaded rounds. I think, in reality, my issue has nothing to do with CCI QC but with the ammo not being compatible with the Vudoo chamber. I can run all the more expensive match ammo like CX, Eley and Wolf Match Extra.
At this point though I have had zero issues with SV not going bang.
I guess I'll wind up shooting the SV stuff in my M41 or Victory pistols.

I have a couple bricks of SV and tried it in both my Vudoo V-22's. It extracts and ejects fine but very difficult to close the bolt on loaded rounds. I think, in reality, my issue has nothing to do with CCI QC but with the ammo not being compatible with the Vudoo chamber. I can run all the more expensive match ammo like CX, Eley and Wolf Match Extra.
At this point though I have had zero issues with SV not going bang.
I guess I'll wind up shooting the SV stuff in my M41 or Victory pistols.
I have shot maybe 200 rds of CCI SV, but yesterday suprised me. I will try a few more boxes 50rds each and see what happens? If it continues in this brick of 500 I bought several days ago, I will take it back for an exchange. It’s not the extractor as far as I can tell now, my other ammo worked just fine. Thanks for you comment!

Good idea on after market extractor !
I was reading this post yesterday, and extraction comes to mind, ammo feeds, shoots, does not come out, points to mechanical. I swear I found a CZ 457 extractor made by volquartsen, when I re-searched again last night, I cannot find it.
I am in the same boat with 3-10-22's I picked up in the last month, they are jammomatics with Federal ammo. There must be a slight difference in case head or case rim size, and it is not ejecting right.
2 of my guns are going to kids, so lead is out, but if my gun shot cheaper ammo as good as yours does, i'd be looking for a way to stay in the game with it.
The one 10-22 I decided to keep for myself shot CCI SV way better than Green Tag, by a long shot.

I was reading this post yesterday, and extraction comes to mind, ammo feeds, shoots, does not come out, points to mechanical. I swear I found a CZ 457 extractor made by volquartsen, when I re-searched again last night, I cannot find it.
I am in the same boat with 3-10-22's I picked up in the last month, they are jammomatics with Federal ammo. There must be a slight difference in case head or case rim size, and it is not ejecting right.
2 of my guns are going to kids, so lead is out, but if my gun shot cheaper ammo as good as yours does, i'd be looking for a way to stay in the game with it.
The one 10-22 I decided to keep for myself shot CCI SV way better than Green Tag, by a long shot.
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm Running a Vudoo V22 G1. I use CCI SV as my training ammo. Had extraction issues too.

I FINALLY got to the bottom of it. It's NOT mechanical. I can now open a box, make a quick observation, and tell if you if it’s going to extract or not. It was the freezing temperatures this February that really made the problem worse and visually apparent at the same time.

Apparently, during the manufacturing process CCI dips their Standard Velocity bullets into a high viscosity fluid.
I believe this fluid is intended to only be applied to the bullet head. However, sometimes this fluid ends up on the brass.
This is what is causing the problem. I can see the fluid on the brass. It has a dull appearance and the amount is random. It ranges from barely noticeable to 1/4 inch away from the bullet. See arrows on pic where i scrapped it off.

My theory:\: The round is chambered with excess fluid on the brass. The round is fired creating heat that reduces the fluid viscosity allowing it, via capillary action, to flow and fill the available gap. Then the temperature decreases rapidly because the chamber metal is 25°F. Upon attempted extraction the case has sufficient resistance to motion because of adhesion and the case fails to extract.
My match ammo is Lapua Center-X. If you shoot it you know it also has a low viscosity fluid applied to the case. However, it is on purpose. When I load my mags with Center-X I can see my fingerprint on the brass after loading, especially when its cold. The important point here is the low viscosity fluid remains viscous when cold. With this in mind I used Hornady One Shot Dyna Glide Plus Case Lube and wiped the CCI SV brass cases down, one whole box of 50. After polishing the case looked uniform without a dull band as before.

Proof Test: I cycled the entire polished box without a single extraction failure at 25°F. Then I polished 4 more boxes, not a single extraction failure.

This solves the problem for me ... hope it works for you too!

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage1.jpeg

Reactions: Grey Kiwi