• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FAL on deck....from LA

DanDaMan4u2002

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2014
Hey guys, I'm from Louisiana and I'm happy to be here to refine my long range skills. I'm trying to push the limits on my Imbel FAL. I have a Burris XTR II 8-40x50mm on order now. The only problem is the longest range in the south is 800 yards. For me, a novice, its a good start. This place is big and I have alot of questions so I hope you will welcome me and help me if you can on getting some of my questions answered.

DSCF2093_zpsc5d160d9.jpg

Welcome sir! I used to be heavily involved in FAL's (hence the handle, right?) I then got into bolt guns, sold all my FAL's and went that route. Of all the guns of sold/traded, I miss my FAL's the most.

800 yards is more than plenty for a beginner to get going.

In terms of "novice," let's discuss your choice of optics. What are you trying to do? I know your scope has a lot of magnification, and that appeals to many folks, but is that what you really need? It is more of an "F Class" type scope (obviously doesn't mean you can't shoot with it just fine). I think you'd probably best be suited with their 5-25 or 3-12. Those may be better suited for your needs.

My piece of advice at this juncture is to dry fire a ton...more than what you think is sufficient, then multiply that by 3, is generally the standard.

What kind of trigger is in your FAL? If it is the factory trigger, you may want to consider upgrading it. I believe JARD makes a decent FAL trigger.

In terms of shooting longer distances, do you know your ammo? Do you know how to interpret ballistics info?

Keep us posted.

lol you just asked me every question I had to ask. I swear we had a FAL mental connection or something just now :p

As for the scope I wear glasses and have poor eye sight at long distances. The scope will make me more comfortable. I had a Leopold 3.5-10x50mm on my gun before the up grades and was having alot of problems seeing out past 400 yards.

I was to get a Remington 700 varmint rifle later so I'm investing in one good scope in anticipation of my future rifle (s). I want to push my FAL to the max to get the logiest shoot with a FAL ever made one day. I have a factory trigger at the moment but will do as you advised and get a JARD trigger.

When it comes to triggers they only good for improve the follow up shot accuracy right?

Also i'm starting to learn everything. I just learned from a range officer of how to zero a scope. for the first time i was hitting 300 yards with my a rifle. I had a DPMS 308 with a crappy $100 scope on it and everytime i shot the scope would move the recticle zeroing like 6 inches to the left. I wanted a quality scope with distance this time around in a price range i could afford.

here's my set up before i got the upgrades. I went from a 20 inch pencil barrel to a 24 inch stainless steel bull barrel. I'm getting into reloading next but before the barrel change it was liking cheap walmart 7.62x51 zero ammo. I forgot the grains of the bullet. I tried like 6 other types of ammo (match remington, hornady, and so on) before i seen it was consistence with that walmart 7.62x51 ammo.

Now I changed the barrel I have to research again.

fdefwe_zps60e472d8.jpg

Last edited: