• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon 5-25x50 FFP vs Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1

DcN484

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
PacNW
I'm looking for a scope for my new rifle. I have done a little research, and I do believe I have narrowed down all the options to these two.

http://www.sightwonders.com/falcon.html
http://swfa.com/Millett-6-25x56-LRS-1-Tactical-35mm-Riflescope-P40381.aspx

It will be going on a 700 SPS-T in .308. How far will I be shooting? Not sure really. I will probably try and shoot as far as I can
grin.gif
I do know that I want as much magnification as I can get, reasonably. My price range is right around this area. However, I would be willing to go up another hundy or so if there was something out there that was worth it.

The Falcon looks nice, and seems to get good reviews, and same with the Millett. I'm aware the Millett is huge, this doesn't really concern me. This will be a bench gun. I also understand the 35mm tube is hard to get quality rings for, aside from the tall ones that it comes with. Seekins Precision makes what appears to be good rings, and I figured I would go with these since the Millett ones are tall, and may not be up to par in quality.

I also planned on getting a Badger 20MOA once piece base. A gunsmith will put it all together for me.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

Re: Falcon 5-25x50 FFP vs Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1

I asked the exact same question about 2 weeks ago and really didnt get much. I think I have decided to go with the Falcon though cause of its near perfect tracking reputation and the FFP MIL/MIL option. Plus I have a butt load of 30mm rings already.

The Vortex viper is a nice scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: everyreggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex viper is a nice scope! </div></div>

The Viper 6.5-20x50 PA? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

Looks like the price is in the same range. It has a bit less magnification...

Thanks Ross, I have been leaning toward the Falcon lately as well. The rings aren't a huge issue for me though, as I would need to order new ones either way.

They are really two different animals.
One is FFP and the other SFP.
A FFP scope may present problems when trying to make precision shots at high magnification.
I have a millet trs-1 and have been very happy with it, however, there are many reports of bad QC on the millet scopes. You don't find much negative stuff about the Falcons.

Are you looking for a mil-dot reticle?
It isn't really needed for a bech gun. If you are open to other reticle options, you have a very large selection in that price range. Weaver, Burris, Bushnell and Nikon all make scopes in that price range.
Mueller makes some nice scopes and they have a target model with a fine crosshair and dot in 8-32x.

I would most certainly be open to other reticles. Especially if it meant gaining some magnification. Looking up Mueller now....

I have several Mueller scopes.
They are a very fine scope for the price. Quality wise, it easily matches the Millet.
They have a very good warranty, tell them what is wrong, send the scope in and get a new one in return.

The guys in the .22 rimfire world really like the scopes because the can adjust down to 10 yards.

I have a Tac-2 and it was on my 7mm mag with no issues. The glass is excellent, the clicks repeatable.

Thanks for the info fdkay. I will certainly keep that Mueller in mind. If nothing else, I'll get one for one of my other rigs.

I haven't been here very long either and asked a similar queston and did a lot of comparying. Vortex viper and falcon menace seem to be the best buy in your and my price range. This is not just my opinion, but by many others here that are much more in the know than I. This spring Votex is coming out with a new Viper scope in mil-mil ffp, this is the one I will go with. Knowing I couldn't wait that long with out having some kind of scope, I purchased a Vortex cross fire 6x24x50 from SWFA. Check the price you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DcN484</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/Mueller-8-32x44-Target-Dot-30mm-Riflescope-P42358.aspx

Interesting. Also, quite a bit cheaper. Not sure I'm too ecstatic about the aesthetics, and that specific reticle.

How does the quality compare to the Falcon/Millett? I'm okay with the $5-600 range.</div></div>

Hope I can help.. I curently have a Mueller 8-32x44 target, Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X50, and just last week got my first Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50. I say curently because at the moment the Mueller and the Leupold are up for bid. Neiter were a bad scope, but I found that i love the FFP, and mil/mil. The mueller is a great scope for $230.00 (and i don't think there is anything better in it's price range). I had the leupold vx-iii and the falcon side by side and I could not see why the leupold cost almost twice as much as the falcon. I'm not saying the leupold is bad or anything, i just think that the falcon is that good! I'm so happy with the falcon, I'm slling the other two and picking up two more falcons. feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

I'm in the same boat, I have narrowed it down to both falcon and millet but I am also looking at the Nikon Monarch 8-32x50. The Monarch has some great reviews so far. Right now I'm favoring the falcon because I prefer its reticle better compared to the other two. However, don't really know the pros and cons between the Falcon 5-25x50 and 5-25x56 FFP.

I liked my falcon 5-25x50 so much that I purchased another one. Crosshair thickness is not an issue for me. It is not as thick as a S&B P3 mildot at 25x. For the price of the falcon for what you get, it just cannot be beaten in my opinion.

Go to Scotts post at Liberty Optics regarding Millet I beleive....what an honest guy watching out for his buyers...nice nice work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DcN484</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: everyreggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex viper is a nice scope! </div></div>

The Viper 6.5-20x50 PA? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

Looks like the price is in the same range. It has a bit less magnification...

Thanks Ross, I have been leaning toward the Falcon lately as well. The rings aren't a huge issue for me though, as I would need to order new ones either way. </div></div>

Get the vortex.

After touching the Millet TRS, I wouldn't have high expectations from the LRS either. I had the TRS boxed up ready to return within an hour of getting back from the range. My $150 Center point was nicer.

As for the Falcons I see them as a gamble. If you have issues with it down the road, good luck!

The vortex viper 6.5-20x is a solid scope, if you are on a budget but can save up a little more get the SFP Vortex PST.

I was looking at both of the scopes you mentioned in your initial post. I ultimately went with the Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 which is similar to the LRS-1 but lower magnification. The only thing I enjoyed about that scope was the warranty... After about 65 shots, I noticed my shots were way off zero (100 yards). I let the barrel cool down and shot another round with the same result. When moved away from scope to smoke a cigarette in anger, I noticed that something looked fishy with my reticle. The damn thing had shifted and had rotated about a half an inch counter-clockwise. Called customer service from the place I got it from and got my refund. After this experience, the Falcon's warranty scared me as well so I opted for the SWFA GB because I was looking for a mil/mil scope I could learn with until I could afford the HQ scopes. The Vortex PST FFP is nice at the top of your range as well as the new Viper HS which is a few bucks more than a Falcon.

I should've listened to my good friend who is into benchrest when I asked him about Millett scopes.

"Hey, what do you think of Millett scopes?"
"Let me put it this way, I've owned a Millett scope, I will never own one again."

Falcon has gotten good reviews?
Probably only by someone who wants to sell one. I've seen them fail quite often and there were photos of a couple that had broken into two pieces posted here not long ago. I don't think (unless updated) that the tubes are one piece.
I would opt for the most Vortex PST I could afford.
I do have a couple of Millett 1-4 scopes on AR15s and they have served me well. There are some things about them that are really cheaply done though. The scope caps broke on both scopes within the first couple hours of mounting.

Vortex 6.5-20x50(or44) or Vortex PST. The SFP PST is very nice and is considerably cheaper then the FFP.

I returned my Millet within hours of getting back from the range.

The falcons might be nice scopes but you are taking a large chance with the warranty.

I have had a Falcon 5-25x50 for yrs now, It started off on a 308 and now sits on a 338LM until I get a S&B for it. The scope has held zero all these yrs with hundreds of rounds with both calibers. Falcon did release a lluminated reticle model with rumored upgraded internals. I guess it's a hit and miss with these scopes.