• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace quality difference?

jordanh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Thief River Falls, MN
I have been looking at the Falcon Menace scopes. Particularily the 4-14 and the 5-25 mil/mil. My question is about the 100$ price difference. is the overall quality of the 4-14 lacking considering the 100$ price difference, or is the lower power glass the only reason for the price?

I am new to long range shooting and am looking for a beginner rifle and this optic seems to be the one for me. If i go with the 4-14, at what kind of distance am I going to wish I had more then the 14 power? Also, the 4-14 are listed as "mil-dot/metric knobs", and the 5-25 are listed as "mil-dot/mil knobs". whats the difference in the metric knobs? are they in centimeters?

Re: Falcon Menace quality difference?

I think both refer to milrad knobs with 1/10mil clicks.

Consider 1 milliradian is roughly 1m @ 1000meters. So 1 milliradian would be (1/10th) a meter @ 100 yards. With 1/10mil "clicks"; one click then cooresponds to 1/100th of a meter at 100 yards or one centimeter or "metric".

If you range in meters, I guess you can call it metric although it isn't really a accurate term. The radian is a SI derived unit so some equate SI units to metric. However, its a ratio so use whatever distance/length units you want.

14x is plenty for a longarm to max range. I primarly use a 4-14 FFP.

Consider that 4->14x is a 3.5x mag range and 5->25x is a 5x mag range. With a FFP scope, you may not like (or be accustomed to) the stadia "thickness" at 25x even though it remains correct from a milrad or subtention aspect.

I have a 4-14 Falcon Menace FFP with a line reticle. I think it is good for the price point. I wish the outside boxes on the reticle were not hollow. Your paying extra for the magnification range.

HTH

Thank you for that information. I did find another website that listed the 14x as .1mil clicks. I also seen a picture that had .1mil marked on the turret. I think I'm sold on the 4-14x and I'll also save roughly 90$ which is nice beings im on a budget.

Whats your reasoning that you dont care for the hollow boxes on the reticle? reason I ask is you can get the ML16 reticle like the one you are mentioning, or the long range reticle with the black filled in boxes. This is the next thing I need to decide what to get.

I have the 4-14x with the SLR reticle. The scope quality is excellent for the price range. Mine rides on my AR10 after I kicked it around a bit on the bolt gun.

I don't like the skeletal reticle as much as a solid reticle because
it's very hard to see in low light at low magnification. It full daylight it's fine.

The review I did awhile back:
http://8541tactical.com/menace4_14FFP.php

No prob, I hoped it helped.

When dialed at low magnification the black outer boxes become dominate to help center against a weak reticle image on some targets and conditions. It's not a huge deal, personal preference. Something I noticed against a Gen 2 mildot I primarily use.

I bought the scope on a discounted pre-order and a gamble when they first came out. I still use it. I think it would be a great starter scope and has the options. I'm not keen on anything better on the market in FFP for that price since then.

I think these scopes are hit or miss. I have had 2 5-25s. One was great, but the second one had trouble focusing it up at 100 yards. It worked fine at closer ranges.

I eagerly await the new vortex pst line. I tink the new vortex scopes are going to shake the optics world up when they are released. High quality for a lower price.

I intend to order one of the 5-25x56 EMD very soon and run it at least until the PST's are out and proven.

What sort of time frame are the pst's looking to be? I tried to search for an answer but my search tactics are lacking tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think both refer to milrad knobs with 1/10mil clicks.

Consider 1 milliradian is roughly 1m @ 1000meters. So 1 milliradian would be (1/10th) a meter @ 100 <span style="color: #FF0000">[color:#FFFF66]yards</span>[/color]. With 1/10mil "clicks"; one click then cooresponds to 1/100th of a meter at 100 <span style="color: #FF0000">[color:#FFFF66]yards</span>[/color] or one centimeter or "metric".

If you range in meters, I guess you can call it metric although it isn't really a accurate term. The radian is a SI derived unit so some equate SI units to metric. However, its a ratio so use whatever distance/length units you want.

14x is plenty for a longarm to max range. I primarly use a 4-14 FFP.

Consider that 4->14x is a 3.5x mag range and 5->25x is a 5x mag range. With a FFP scope, you may not like (or be accustomed to) the stadia "thickness" at 25x even though it remains correct from a milrad or subtention aspect.

I have a 4-14 Falcon Menace FFP with a line reticle. I think it is good for the price point. I wish the outside boxes on the reticle were not hollow. Your paying extra for the magnification range.

HTH </div></div>

Why try and mix yards with meters? To all intents and purposes one mil equals one meter at one thousand meters distance. This equals 1 centimeter at one hundred meters. One hundred meters equals one hundred and nine yards and thirty six inches.

that was a brain fart typo.

Should all be in meters for the example.
Thanks,