• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace quality difference?

jordanh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Thief River Falls, MN
I have been looking at the Falcon Menace scopes. Particularily the 4-14 and the 5-25 mil/mil. My question is about the 100$ price difference. is the overall quality of the 4-14 lacking considering the 100$ price difference, or is the lower power glass the only reason for the price?

I am new to long range shooting and am looking for a beginner rifle and this optic seems to be the one for me. If i go with the 4-14, at what kind of distance am I going to wish I had more then the 14 power? Also, the 4-14 are listed as "mil-dot/metric knobs", and the 5-25 are listed as "mil-dot/mil knobs". whats the difference in the metric knobs? are they in centimeters?

Re: Falcon Menace quality difference?

I think both refer to milrad knobs with 1/10mil clicks.

Consider 1 milliradian is roughly 1m @ 1000meters. So 1 milliradian would be (1/10th) a meter @ 100 yards. With 1/10mil "clicks"; one click then cooresponds to 1/100th of a meter at 100 yards or one centimeter or "metric".

If you range in meters, I guess you can call it metric although it isn't really a accurate term. The radian is a SI derived unit so some equate SI units to metric. However, its a ratio so use whatever distance/length units you want.

14x is plenty for a longarm to max range. I primarly use a 4-14 FFP.

Consider that 4->14x is a 3.5x mag range and 5->25x is a 5x mag range. With a FFP scope, you may not like (or be accustomed to) the stadia "thickness" at 25x even though it remains correct from a milrad or subtention aspect.

I have a 4-14 Falcon Menace FFP with a line reticle. I think it is good for the price point. I wish the outside boxes on the reticle were not hollow. Your paying extra for the magnification range.

HTH

Thank you for that information. I did find another website that listed the 14x as .1mil clicks. I also seen a picture that had .1mil marked on the turret. I think I'm sold on the 4-14x and I'll also save roughly 90$ which is nice beings im on a budget.

Whats your reasoning that you dont care for the hollow boxes on the reticle? reason I ask is you can get the ML16 reticle like the one you are mentioning, or the long range reticle with the black filled in boxes. This is the next thing I need to decide what to get.

I have the 4-14x with the SLR reticle. The scope quality is excellent for the price range. Mine rides on my AR10 after I kicked it around a bit on the bolt gun.

I don't like the skeletal reticle as much as a solid reticle because
it's very hard to see in low light at low magnification. It full daylight it's fine.

The review I did awhile back:
http://8541tactical.com/menace4_14FFP.php

No prob, I hoped it helped.

When dialed at low magnification the black outer boxes become dominate to help center against a weak reticle image on some targets and conditions. It's not a huge deal, personal preference. Something I noticed against a Gen 2 mildot I primarily use.

I bought the scope on a discounted pre-order and a gamble when they first came out. I still use it. I think it would be a great starter scope and has the options. I'm not keen on anything better on the market in FFP for that price since then.

I think these scopes are hit or miss. I have had 2 5-25s. One was great, but the second one had trouble focusing it up at 100 yards. It worked fine at closer ranges.

I eagerly await the new vortex pst line. I tink the new vortex scopes are going to shake the optics world up when they are released. High quality for a lower price.

I intend to order one of the 5-25x56 EMD very soon and run it at least until the PST's are out and proven.

What sort of time frame are the pst's looking to be? I tried to search for an answer but my search tactics are lacking tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think both refer to milrad knobs with 1/10mil clicks.

Consider 1 milliradian is roughly 1m @ 1000meters. So 1 milliradian would be (1/10th) a meter @ 100 <span style="color: #FF0000">[color:#FFFF66]yards</span>[/color]. With 1/10mil "clicks"; one click then cooresponds to 1/100th of a meter at 100 <span style="color: #FF0000">[color:#FFFF66]yards</span>[/color] or one centimeter or "metric".

If you range in meters, I guess you can call it metric although it isn't really a accurate term. The radian is a SI derived unit so some equate SI units to metric. However, its a ratio so use whatever distance/length units you want.

14x is plenty for a longarm to max range. I primarly use a 4-14 FFP.

Consider that 4->14x is a 3.5x mag range and 5->25x is a 5x mag range. With a FFP scope, you may not like (or be accustomed to) the stadia "thickness" at 25x even though it remains correct from a milrad or subtention aspect.

I have a 4-14 Falcon Menace FFP with a line reticle. I think it is good for the price point. I wish the outside boxes on the reticle were not hollow. Your paying extra for the magnification range.

HTH </div></div>

Why try and mix yards with meters? To all intents and purposes one mil equals one meter at one thousand meters distance. This equals 1 centimeter at one hundred meters. One hundred meters equals one hundred and nine yards and thirty six inches.

that was a brain fart typo.

Should all be in meters for the example.
Thanks,