• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes falcon optics warranty

Texas_Republic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Texas
Quick question about Falcon Optics warranty.

Fixing to purchase a used Falcon Menace 14x from someone online at a different forum. I am jumpy on used scopes. Besides the obvious questions about the scope working properly, do I need to ask him for anything in particular before I pull the trigger?

I have heard that Falcon Optics have excellent customer service and shouldn't become an issue later down the road if the scope malfunctions. So far so good?

The seller told me that even though he is sure its covered by warranty, no warrenty info came with the scope. He believes its a lifetime warrenty. He also stated that once when he lost a single screw to a turret(rolled off the table), he emailed them asking to buy a few spares and they replied very nicely and included the tracking number of a package with 2 brand new turrets and 2 new set of screws heading his way. He is including the replacement turrets and screws with the sale. He said that the only thing that came inside the box with the scope is a cleaning cloth, and caps.

So is there anything I should ask him about before purchasing? Serial number, etc?

Re: falcon optics warranty

I have a Falcon 5-25 and they do not come with any paperwork of any kind. They do have a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">lifetime</span> 5 year warranty and if it needs service you send it back through a dealer.

maybe ask if he has his receipt. I kept my receipt incase i ever decided to sell it
smile.gif

I recently emailed this same question to Falcon Optics. I told them I was thinking about purchasing a used scope and asked if the warranty transferred beyond the original purchaser.
I was told that "Any warranty on scopes sold in the US is not ours (Falcon's)." If I had a problem with a scope I would have to look to the dealer in the US that sold it. I assume to do that you would need proof of purchase, and I'm still not 100% sure if it would be covered or not. I realize this is contrary to what others are saying, and I'm not trying to say that I know better than anyone else, just that this is the answer I personally recieved from Falcon.
You can email them at: [email protected] and see what they say about it. If they tell you something different, I would be interested to hear what they say.

So perhaps at the least I should get his receipt or dealer's contact information that he bought it from. Falcon's reply sounds pretty typical. I have heard that before I believe. Warranties within the US are much different in other countries at times. This is feeling a little shaky, but I havent heard of many bad experiences with them.
eek.gif

I dont know if something is wrong with the Hide's search engine or what, but I googled Falcon warranty and it came back with all sorts of stuff concerning Faclon's warranty. It can be found on the thread below.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463104
Below is a summary.

My advice would be to use the US based dealers that we have in place. That way a scope will only ever have to be returned to a destination within the US should a problem ever arise. US dealers offer warranty and after-care directly to you, you don't even need to contact us. Terms and conditions may differ slightly from US dealer to US dealer but they are all very likely to be offering you a 5 year repair/replace warranty very similar to what we offer direct to customers in the UK.

- So in summary if your in the UK then its a 5 year warranty backed by us.

- If you grey import from the UK then its still covered by us but your going to need to return to whoever sold it to you in order to get it taken care of and looked at by us.

- Purchase from within the US and you are backed by the warranty of the US dealer that supplied it to you. Its likely to be 5 years and is underpinned by the agreement in place between ourselves and that dealer. It might pay to contact the dealer in advance to see exactly what the terms and conditions are.

That's pretty much what I got. I would ask if the seller has a reciept (explain why) and find out who the scope was purchased from. Then you can contact the dealer directly and ask them what their policy would be reguarding warranty coverage on a scope beyond the original owner.
Basically, the answer the dealer gives you will be the only one that matters. Then you can base your decision on that.
The scope I was looking to buy was originally purchased from Sniper Central, and I called and talked to Mel and got the story straight from him. In my case, the seller didn't have any proof of purchase, so it would have been difficult to get warranty coverage if I had a problem. I let the seller know what I had found out, and was able to negotiate a much better price on the scope, so I decided to take my chances.

If you're looking to pick up a good used scope and the FFP is not a key feature for you, I would recommend looking for a Wotac 4-14. I purchased an older generation used and had a problem with it. I called and talked to Matt Wonders (the owner) and told him I had bought the scope used and was having a problem. He said to send it back and he would replace it with a brand new scope of the latest generation.
Now that's the kind of warranty you want when buying something used!

This Falcon was purchased from optics warehouse. Anyone have any experience with them? Their return policy looks pretty stiff IMO. The guy acted like he just called them and they sent him replacement screws without any questions. I dont know.

Returns Ploicy
If you should need to return your goods
Advise us that you are returning your product(s) by contacting our returns department. The following information will be required when returning your good(s):

Please Return to:

OPTICSWAREHOUSE
Bow Grange
Littlehempston
Totnes
Devon, TQ9 6NQ

Please include a note including the following:

The Problem / Fault with the Goods
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Your Order ID
Your Order Emails Address
Your Method of Payment</span>
Your Contact Information

NB: Allow a Minimum of 7 Days for Postage and Processing..

Kind Regards,

Opticswarehouse Support

It doesn't look too promising. Optics warehouse is in the UK. They have a big red sign on the home page of their site that says they <span style="font-style: italic">will not </span>export riflescopes outside the UK, so if the current owner is in the US, he probably didn't buy it directly from them. He may be a second or third owner. Best case scenario, if you have a problem with the scope, it is going to be a PITA and very costly shipping the scope back and forth. Worst case, they either will not honor the warranty since you are in the US and not the original purchaser, or if they do decide to honor it, you may have to pay for an export license in addition to shipping before they will send you a replacement. I would say to either assume you will have no warranty coverage at all and make an offer accordingly, or buy one new from a dealer in the US. This will probably wind up being the cheaper option overall if you ever need service.
Just out of curiosity, how much is the asking price?

I read the warranty requirements again and wonder if I am reading it wrong. Is the "Order ID" given when you originally purchased the scope, or is it some return ID you receive after contacting them? I am probably being too optimistic. I just need to call them and find out for sure so I can make an appropriate offer.

They guy is offering to sell me a Falcon Menace 14X with Burris extreme tactical scope rings for $340 plus shipping. So probably around $350 I guess.
A new Menace without rings goes for about $395 right? The Burris rings run about $55 I believe.

I just bought one here from RW Snyder gunsmithing. $395, shipping included, 5 year warranty, got here lightening fast, and he's a hide sponsor! Not to mention that it is the latest gen of this scope with the updated turrets and comes with both sunshades.

If he is sending it in the original box, I bet money it will be more like $15-20 for shipping especially after insurance! You're looking at aprox $360 for essentially no warranty. (What if it was purchased 3 years ago, only 2 left on that, PLUS your going to have to deal with the overseas issues if you do need the warranty)

Spend the extra $35 with Robert for the peace of mind! You won't be sorry! Mine is awesome!

Just my own falcon scope story.

I purchased a preproduction 5-25 model before the official release and about half a year ago, something went wrong. A rattling could be heard if you shook it and it looked as if some of the lenses inside were knocked out of alignment. The thing is, I had purchased it from a place in New Zealand. I contacted them and they put me in touch directly with Falcon.

Falcon said that instead of sending my scope to New Zealand and then it getting sent to them in England, they'll see if any of their US dealers will process it for me. Low and behold, I was told to send it to Robert Snyder at RW (see above in BigDKC's post).

Anyway, a few weeks after sending my broken scope to RW, I get a new scope. If I wasn't in a rush to get a new scope for a class I was taking, I would have waited and purchased it from RW anyway (I had purchased my 4-14 from him). That one still works fine.

Enough rambling. I got a new scope, CS seemed good and for the price, I got a scope with a lot of features. I'd recommend just buying from a US seller.

Seems like just buying one new from a US dealer is the way to go. Swfa has them listed on their site for $384.95:
http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x44-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47408.aspx
If the guy you've been talking to is willing to come way down on the price, it may be worth it to take a chance. Otherwise, for a few dollars more, you get the piece of mind of knowing you have a 5 year warranty. A few months from now, you will have forgotten about the extra money you spent for the scope, but you'll be glad to know you're covered.
It is a bonus that the used scope comes with rings, but if it turns out you need another ring height, then you'll end up buying a set anyway.

Yeah. I have pretty much determined that going with a new one from RW Snyder is the way to go. I would not pay much of anything for a "used" scope without a warranty. I am already a little nervous about buying one used, let alone without a warranty. He would almost have to give it away to me. Im just gonna have to get a new one and put off the Atlas bipod for now.
frown.gif
Working with a budget here.

I think buying from a Hide member is a sure bet warranty in my book. The only problem that I see is that the scopes that RW carries are all in Mil. Where are the MOA? Other people carry them. I need to contact him soon.

Also, whats up with the 25X Falcon Menace? I am somewhat tempted to get one, but I have NEVER seen a used one for sale. You can find plenty of the 14X, but not the 25X. Do many people not buy them? Just thought it was strange and I wanted to make sure I didnt miss the news about a defect or something.

I've wondered about that myself. I've never heard anything bad about the 5-25s, but I have never seen one for sale used. Either nobody is buying them, or the people that own them are very happy with them. I'm sure if you give RW Snyder a call, he can give you some info/feeback on them. SWFA and Sightwonders (Wonders optics) also have them listed on their sites. I just talked to Matt Wonders yesterday about another subject and he was very honest and knowledgeable about the optics he deals with. Honestly, for a scope in the 4-14 range, The Wotacs are really nice, less expensive than the Falcons, and have a Lifetime no BS Warranty. I own two and I'm very happy with them. The only downside is that they are SFP, which to me is not a big deal.
Matt says he is expecting shipment of scopes (tentatively) in the next 2-3 weeks.

Well if anyone knows much about Falcon's 5-25 let us know. I have actually found a couple for sale used, but they dont compare to the number of 4-14. Maybe it has something to do with the bell defect that was present within the 18X falcons

I don't think so. The 4-14s and the 5-25s both have a 1-pc tube design. The 4.5-18s that people had issues with had the objective bell threadad onto the tube. They were also SFP while the 4-14s and the 5-25s are FFP.
Falcon Optics is no longer making the 2-pc design.

Got a reply from optics warehouse. Looks like used scopes with them is a no go. That makes my decision easy. See below

Thank you for the enquiry. Unfortunately the warranty with us is only for the original buyer.
Best regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a reply from optics warehouse. Looks like used scopes with them is a no go. That makes my decision easy. See below

Thank you for the enquiry. Unfortunately the warranty with us is only for the original buyer.
Best regards

</div></div>

Well, at least you now have a straight answer to base your decision on. That makes it a no brainer.

i've only got to take mine out once but I am very impressed with it so far. I didn't get a good chance to run it through the paces via the methods i've learned here, but on the bench it tracks well etc. Optics are good as far as I can tell to my limited eye. For the $$ it seems solid. I bought it to use until my PST gets here, and it will go on a .22 trainer once that happens. the features line up well to the PST including the mp8 reticle!

How is that mp8 reticle? thats what I wanted in mine, but I couldn't find one when I was buying. I have both the Falcon and the PST, they are both good scopes, the only thing I have found so far on the Falcon that I dont like is the knobs are off slightly in their measurement. for example, I measure 1 mil with the reticle, and dial up 10 clicks, now I am .10 mil above where it should be. I can deal with it I guess, but it is a letdown anyway.

I like the MP8! While it's not an exact match to the PST as the MP8 is a big cross rather then an +, the hash marks are supposed to be in the same measurements and look pretty similar which is what I was aiming for. Having the FFP & the same adjustments will all be welcomed when I set it up on a .22 trainer. Then when time to swap rifles what I see and how I adjust won't change much! I don't have any problems seeing the reticle at any mag setting.

Is it possible you just have your zero set where the turret is just slightly out of alignment with the markings on the tube? I do know that getting the turret and tube markings to line up perfect was an issue with these from my research. Add to that the somewhat mushy clicks, I could see where it could be real easy to be off just enough at your zero mark to still look good, but due to the mush be off enough at 1 mil to have it bleeding over to 1.1? Just a thought? Does it compound? at 2 mills does it hit 2.2 or 2.x?

So far mine measures correctly on the bench with a collimator per the methods I learned on this forum, but I will say I have a little bit of doubt in it holding zero. When I took it out I couldn't set up a box test at the range I was at, so I spun the elevation up and down to random different settings then backed it to zero and fired and I had some inconsistencies with it returning to zero. I also only had 4 or 5 rounds left to try it with when I got to this point. Add to that I am still a newbie at real rifle shooting so the results of that quick exercise could absolutely also have been shooter induced. In fact that is actually much more probable then the scope acting up. I hope to get it out and get it worked out soon, but this week I'm headed out of town so it will have to wait a bit!!

read about someone putting a lighter silicone oil in the turrets to improve the mush factor. Several people acted like it worked really well.

I am up in the air on whether I should get the 4-14 or 5-25. It seems like the 14X has more positive reviews. However, I am really going to need the 25X more probably.

The other issue I keep going back and forth on is the MOA vs Mil. I am definitely a newbie at using the turret scope. In the past, I just fine tuned the ballistic plex on my Burris. The 5-25 doesnt come in MOA I dont think, and its impossible to find a 4-14 MOA in stock anywhere. So Mil keeps looking like the only solution. I would rather have the MOA to keep it simple whole numbers.

any advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">read about someone putting a lighter silicone oil in the turrets to improve the mush factor. Several people acted like it worked really well.

I am up in the air on whether I should get the 4-14 or 5-25. It seems like the 14X has more positive reviews. However, I am really going to need the 25X more probably.

The other issue I keep going back and forth on is the MOA vs Mil. I am definitely a newbie at using the turret scope. In the past, I just fine tuned the ballistic plex on my Burris. The 5-25 doesnt come in MOA I dont think, and its impossible to find a 4-14 MOA in stock anywhere. So Mil keeps looking like the only solution. I would rather have the MOA to keep it simple whole numbers.

any advice? </div></div>

I have the 5-25 with the MLR16 reticle and I really have nothing but good things to say about it. FOR THE MONEY, it has a lot of features and the quality and optical clarity is pretty good. Its no NF, S&B or even Mk4 - but I routinely shoot to 1K with it and have no trouble seeing my hits on steel at that range. I have probably 2K rounds down a .308 SPS-T with the Falcon and its still going strong. Yeah the clicks are a bit mushy compared to higher end scopes - but it does track pretty well and I've not seen any return to zero issues so far. In fact I just measured the reticle with a yard stick last Friday and 10 mils = 36" on the nose. I haven't had a chance yet to mount the scope to a bench and check the actual reticle tracking - but I've seen no real issues at longer ranges that led me to suspect the reticle was canted or not tracking correctly.

I got mine from RW Snyder and the CS was outstanding. You'll really like the 25x. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
its impossible to find a 4-14 MOA in stock anywhere. So Mil keeps looking like the only solution. I would rather have the MOA to keep it simple whole numbers.

any advice? </div></div>

I would send a PM to RWSGunsmithing and see when he will have more in. I do see he is down to only a couple mil/mils in stock, but would be worthwhile to ask..

I have contacted RW Snyder and Wonder Optics. Both are out of stock of the Falcon in MOA and have no idea when they will receive more. Even optics warehouse in the UK is out of them and has not heard anything from Falcon. Their email reply stated:

"We are waiting for an up date from Falcon at the present time".