• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Scopes

csonics

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on the Falcon Menace line of scopes. I'm thinking about purchasing the 4.5-18x56ir. Seams like it might be the best bang for my limited buck. Thanks!

Re: Falcon Scopes

search_dammit.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
search_dammit.jpg
</div></div>

That is classic! Thank you for the outstanding response!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
search_dammit.jpg
</div></div>

Ahahahahaha, classic! leave it to LoneWolf!

LoneWolfUSMC, Thanks for the photoshop response but I actually already did numerous searches on the forum before I posted this. I was interested if people had thoughts on the Falcon scopes as compared to Nikon or Leupold in terms of light transmission.

A lot of people have said many positive things about the Falcon Menace line. It has come up often and I would love to own several based on the reviews.

Right now, I'm worrying about ammo, and employment!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on the Falcon Menace line of scopes. I'm thinking about purchasing the 4.5-18x56ir. Seams like it might be the best bang for my limited buck. Thanks! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolfUSMC, Thanks for the photoshop response but I actually already did numerous searches on the forum before I posted this. I was interested if people had thoughts on the Falcon scopes as compared to Nikon or Leupold in terms of light transmission.</div></div>

If you have a specific question, ask a specific question. you're much more likely to get a specific answer. Whenever anyone asks an open-ended non-specific question about a subject covered in-depth over the last 6-9 months and is told they should use the search function, the response every single time is "I did search." Never once does someone say "oh, yeah, sorry. I guess I should have read the volumes of information already available. My bad." Since we all know for a fact that the information exists (because we produced it) over time we have become cynical to the response that the OP did search and was unable to find any information about [insert mainstream topic here.]

Technically the answer to your first question is simply "Yes." People here do have thoughts on the Falcon Menace. Quite a few thoughts, actually.

Ratbert, ok, I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities with this post. That wasn't my intention. I'm new here and noobs tend to ask what experienced users see as "dumb" or "ignorant" questions. I'll try not to make that mistake again. Thanks for the welcoming remarks!

jrb572 and queequeg, thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it!

I THINK ANY ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ASK ANYTHING THEY WANT ANY TIME THEY WANT. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RESPOND.....THEN DON'T...BUT IT'S NO REASON TO BUST A GUYS CHOPS ABOUT IT. MOST OF THE TIME THE OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS JUST THE WAY TO GET THE TOPIC OPEN THEN MOVE THE CONVERSATION THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO GO. BUT TO JUMP A GUY RIGH OFF THE BAT...........JUST NOT RIGHT IN MY OPINION. I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND SEE POSTS LIKE THIS EVERY DAY. AND I DO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ALOT...THATS WHY I DON'T HAVE A TON OF POSTS. MOST EVERYTHING I WANT TO TALK ABOUT HAS ALREADY COME UP BEFORE.

BUT ANY WAYS.
CUT THE GUY SOME SLACK.
IF LOWLIGHT WANTED YOU TO BE A MODERATOR THEN HE WOULD MAKE YOU ONE.

Well, they didn't totally rip him a new one, it was more like a prod in the ribs. But I get what you're saying.

A guy using all caps defending a noob who didn't use the search function. This is the poster thread for good netiquette.

For what it is worth, the Falcon Menace is about the cheapest you can get for a Mil/Mil FFP scope. The glass is mediocre quality, but good for the price... supposedly the same source and quality as the Super Sniper. The turrets have a reputation for being mushy and tight. They seem to loosen up over time. I read reports from time to time saying that they either fixed the problem or theirs doesn't seem to be mushy or tight. I guess either mushiness is in the eye of the beholder or there is a lot of variation in product quality or both.

You can get better optical quality going for a Nikon at the same price, but you might not get mil/mil and certainly won't get FFP, so it depends on what you want. Do you need FFP? Do you care about clarity more than having FFP? Do you need mil/mil turrets? Scott at Liberty optics recommended Sightron or Vortex when I was considering Falcon Menace. Same price point but better optical quality. I didn't need FFP for the particular gun. I ultimately decided to F it and get a used Nightforce because I really wanted mil/mil and Sightron and Viper both have MOA adjustments.

NF is probably too much for what you want, but I think you need to determine whether you want to trade off glass quality for FFP and mil turrets.

Whoa all caps. Intense. I feel very intimidated right now.

As I try to shake that off, I will point out that as you said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Most everything I want to talk about has already come up before.
</div></div>

That is exactly our point. He is new here, so pointing out that there is 15 pages worth of info on the Falcon out there already is a lot more useful to him than giving him a 3 sentence response like "I hope to own one someday." The value of these threads is in the discussions themselves, not in some sort of executive survey. Find out what the people who DO own them have already said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csonics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ratbert, ok, I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities with this post. That wasn't my intention. I'm new here and noobs tend to ask what experienced users see as "dumb" or "ignorant" questions. I'll try not to make that mistake again. Thanks for the welcoming remarks!
</div></div>

See it's not that it was an ignorant question. There was a guy the other day asking how to tell the difference between a Mil based and an MOA based EREK knob. That's a pretty ignorant question. But it is also a specific question, and as such it could be easily answered in a short specific manner. And so I was quite happy to do so. Your question was the equivalent of walking up to the reference desk in the library and asking "What do you know about trains?" The only practical response you can give is : "The books on trains are on aisles 2-4."

But of course, the library already has facilities for locating which aisles the books on trains can be found (card catalog.)

Oh, and I'm not the welcoming committee... that's boltripper's job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND SEE POSTS LIKE THIS EVERY DAY. AND I DO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ALOT...THATS WHY I DON'T HAVE A TON OF POSTS. MOST EVERYTHING I WANT TO TALK ABOUT HAS ALREADY COME UP BEFORE.</div></div>

Simmerdownnow sparky and give the CAPS LOCK a rest. It doesn't make you come through clearer it just makes you look like an ass.

I have posted numerous times about the Falcon because I run one on my primary rifle.

I feel it's a bit RUDE for a noob to come in here and expect to be spoon-fed information that a simple search would turn up. I also feel that it's rude for you to expect the experienced members here to type out a new detailed post every time the same old subject comes up.

I have no problem offering my insight on a specific topic, but I have a life outside of the SnipersHide Forum and do not feel inclined to get carpal tunnel for your pleasure.

Also, just like you feel you should be able to ask anything you want I should be able to call you out anytime you act like a feeb.

ETA: I have had 3 hours of sleep in the last 24 because people want to act like idiots. Take that into consideration.

I didn't mean to rip on the guy I stated I liked my scope. I was just trying to help out by showing a diffrent search. It has worked better for me. I'm sorry if anybody took this wrong. I am sure I have and will post the same kind of question he did.

Sorry
Joe

I just want to make sure I didn't offend anybody this is a great site filled with a wealth of information.

thank you Mr. ratbert. i would not have touched it until i knew what it did. little bit of time as an aircraft mechanic taught me that. people can die when you do that dumb stuff

my point is that if people put a smart ass post to every new guy on here then pretty soon there won't be any new people with any info comming in the mix.
i do get tired of all the "tacticool" want-a-be's talking about their new barska scope on their new remington 710 that they painted camo and put a bipod on and call it a sniper rifle...but i don't go around talking shit about them. if you don't have time to post info that has been talked about....then don't. if you do have time then please fill me in.
i'm not trying to tell any one off or anything..just want to remind members that have been here a while that every one started somewhere.....give a new guy some help....not a ration of shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my point is that if people put a smart ass post to every new guy on here then pretty soon there won't be any new people with any info comming in the mix.
i do get tired of all the "tacticool" want-a-be's talking about their new barska scope on their new remington 710 that they painted camo and put a bipod on and call it a sniper rifle...but i don't go around talking shit about them. if you don't have time to post info that has been talked about....then don't. if you do have time then please fill me in.
i'm not trying to tell any one off or anything..just want to remind members that have been here a while that every one started somewhere.....give a new guy some help....not a ration of shit.

</div></div>

New guy got the help he was asking for with LW's response. More specific inquiries would have gotten better answers, esp from LW as he uses a Faclon on his work rig.
Evolution works just fine here, and this isn't an over moderated circle jerk like most forums. Stupid shit goes away just fine on its own.......

search_dammit.jpg
</div></div>
You know you spelled "Damnit" incorrectly?

Woah! Guys! Where's there love? Seriously though, I didn't mean to start a bunch of controversy.

Ratbert and LoneWolfUSMC, I'm sorry for wasting your time. I'll make sure I ask pointed and specific questions from now on...

Cardog, thanks for welcoming remarks! I really appreciate it!

Carter Mayfield, you pretty much answered all my questions in your one post! You rock! Thanks for sharing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LoneWolfUSMC said:
You know you spelled "Damnit" incorrectly? </div></div>

Yes I was being facetious. However, most will probably not take it that way. It's also not correct grammar to use five exclamation points and leave out the comma.

And yes buy the falcon for the features such as FFP and mil matching of the ajustments to the reticle. My leupolds and sightrons have better glass but Im planning on another falcon before any other scope in the price range.

-Refering to "use the search button damnit".

This forum is starting to remind me of ar15.com. If you can't help the guy then leave it alone.