• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Falkor Petra Vs...?

Mareshow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Looking for a larger semi auto rifle, up here in Canada our gun laws are dumb, a Petra is non-restricted (read take anywhere and use anywhere) where as an AR 15 is restricted (read use at range only) That said there is quite a few options that are NR based on the AR 10 which is also Non restricted.

So that said I'm interested in a Petra but would love to hear some people's experiences with them, or is there an alternative thats better? Also better to go with the Petra or a 308 or 6.5 CM Ar 10, weight is the same, I really like the features of the Petra but again some real world experience would be nice

Reactions: Rocketman1975
I have a petra in 300 win mag with a proof carbon 20 inch barrel. I am impressed with the quality of manufacturing, the fit of the upper/lower receiver, and the accuracy and function of the rifle. I have found factory ammunition shoots moa or less. I hit a 10 inch plate at 600 yards easily every time at my range. Im not sure on the performance with the falkor barrels since i dont have experience shooting them yet. The petra always makes the trip to the range with me regardless of the other rifle projects I'm working on. The question is what do you want to do with the rifle. A quality 6.5 creedmoor rifle is the closest thing to a" can do it all" rifle/caliber and is more practical.

I have a buddy of mine that has a Petra and that thing is as slick can be! One thing is that is has an adjustable gas block and adjustable bcg, youre only supposed to adjust the bcg. He has an ior valdada on it and it is a lazer with minimal recoil, considering its 300 win mag.
I know he took it out mountain goat hunting around the Kenai area of Alaska and said it was a one time hunt with it and it performed great.
I myself have only shot it a hand full of times, however those times it was like a dream. The controls on the lower are easy to manipulate and the fit and finish of the rifle is flawless.
I just bought an lmt mws south American contract from Jared91 on here and I could let you know my thoughts on lmt being something you could get into ?

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

• Resized_20180918_180455.jpeg
    Resized_20180918_180455.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 149
What features of the Petra do you like?
Are you set on a caliber?
The Dracos barrel is a Teludyne Tech barrel. They used to be available for purchase separately or you could send in barrels for a sleeve.
Stag 10 and the 102 varieties are all non restricted. I recommend the Stag in that group as of right now. The 308 varieties are likely lighter.
Wasn't Ryan at IBI working on a semi auto 338 with Cadex?
I'd like to see the POF P300 throw a sample to the RCMP for classification though.

Last edited:
I dream of the falkor petra in 300 win mag , while my dreams are cheap the guns in my dreams sadly are not cheap but it is one of them . and one day i too will own one or several . It is funny you can't own a ar15 but the ar 10 is ok that makes no sense .

If going 6.5 creedmoor or 308 I would buy a JP or a seekins over a falkor.

Unfortunately our wacky gun laws restrict some guns on name along :(

I have a buddy of mine that has a Petra and that thing is as slick can be! One thing is that is has an adjustable gas block and adjustable bcg, youre only supposed to adjust the bcg. He has an ior valdada on it and it is a lazer with minimal recoil, considering its 300 win mag.
I know he took it out mountain goat hunting around the Kenai area of Alaska and said it was a one time hunt with it and it performed great.
I myself have only shot it a hand full of times, however those times it was like a dream. The controls on the lower are easy to manipulate and the fit and finish of the rifle is flawless.
I just bought an lmt mws south American contract from Jared91 on here and I could let you know my thoughts on lmt being something you could get into ?

Semper fi
Horner

thanks for the input, it seems most feedback is very positive.

What features of the Petra do you like?
Are you set on a caliber?
The Dracos barrel is a Teludyne Tech barrel. They used to be available for purchase separately or you could send in barrels for a sleeve.
Stag 10 and the 102 varieties are all non restricted. I recommend the Stag in that group as of right now. The 308 varieties are likely lighter.
Wasn't Ryan at IBI working on a semi auto 338 with Cadex?
I'd like to see the POF P300 throw a sample to the RCMP for classification though.
I like the Ambi controls, I shoot off hand quite often. 300 win mag doesn't hurt my feelings, nor does their 300 norma option. I like the fit and finish on the rifle as well seems very well put together. I though about getting a stag 10 but my only issue with them is part collecting, where as the falkor is already put together. A 338 semi I feel would be a bit much, I can reload 300 win mag for cheap plus from some reports I've heard is the Petra is really nice on brass. I'm not set on a caliber but I have a few other 6.5s already and it would be nice to have a 30 cal again.

If going 6.5 creedmoor or 308 I would buy a JP or a seekins over a falkor.

I don't think the JP or Seekins are non-restricted in Canada, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised the Petra is non-restricted, but Canadian gun laws make no sense.

I only have a small frame Falkor, the Caitlyn, and it seems like a pretty quality build. Really tight fit between upper and lower, excellent Proof barrel with a nice soft shooting gas system. It's light and easy to handle and soft and fun to shoot. I would assume the Petra is also quality.

Another option, which I think another user was incorrectly thinking was a project with Cadex (unless I'm mistaken and Cadex is working on something similar), is the PGW Direwolf. There's no timeline for when they will be released to the public though.

Reactions: Mareshow
I have a petra with dracos barrel. I can hit 1800 yards with box ammo hornady and federal. My wife and my 12 year old daughter can easily hit 1000 yds steel, No problem
89380AED-FE2F-488A-B050-615CE2F3832A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
yea that gun still pulls at my heart maybe its just lust cause I think it's sexy as hell or longing because I am a dirty gun whore with lust in my heart or a greedy pig that wants every gun I see in here in the forums that i don't already own . Maybe a combination of both , I don't own one yet so I have to rectify that . I will own one if they still make them down the road . Till then I will just keep dreaming of ownership and getting to firing it at some range not in my state . I am just glad for now that the bible does not say thy shall not covet thy neighbors firearms lol .

Reactions: Repr1979
yea that gun still pulls at my heart maybe its just lust cause I think it's sexy as hell or longing because I am a dirty gun whore with lust in my heart or a greedy pig that wants every gun I see in here in the forums that i don't already own . Maybe a combination of both , I don't own one yet so I have to rectify that . I will own one if they still make them down the road . Till then I will just keep dreaming of ownership and getting to firing it at some range not in my state . I am just glad for now that the bible does not say thy shall not covet thy neighbors firearms lol .
It all starts with a dream.

Reactions: acudaowner