• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

False shoulder, how much expansion

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Hello again,

Looking to find how much expansion folks use when they are creating a false shoulder for fire forming? I have a wildcat here that has the shoulder moved .075" forward. I am using a .284 expansion button for a 6.5 caliber. It doesn't leave much of a bump, and I am wondering if I should step up to a .30 caliber expander button?

Thanks

Re: False shoulder, how much expansion

Here is a picture of the 'bump'. I am not sure if this is enough, sorry for the bad picture.

28lcpdy.jpg

29e56wg.jpg

Also, after expanding to the .284 then running it through my FL resize die, I don't feel the 6.5 expander on the case at all on the way back out, does this mean my die doesn't have a tight enough shoulder?

what I have done in the past with success when trying to blow shoulders out is load the round way long, reduce load about 15% and let the bullet hold the round on the bolt face while it is fired. I have probably fireformed 500 cases letting the bullet hold the case on the bolt face and everything worked great.

I have used both one size up expander (in my case 7mm on a 6.5 case) and used the jame the pill in the lands method to hold the case back....both worked fine....just if you are using the pill to hold it back check the OAL to make sure they are all the correct length
smile.gif