• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fantastic reload accuracy discovery.

former naval person

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2003
Mississippi
I have, over the years, tried most of the reloading accuracy tips. Primer pocket truing and inside flash hole reaming, weighing and sorting cases, turning necks, polishing inside the necks, weighing all charges V/S dropping charges, ad nauseum. Adjustable front rests, heavy sand in the rear bag, lubricating the bags with talcum powder...whatever new tip might work to make the rifle and loads shoot more accurately. Now,I have, in the culmination of years of brilliant thought processes and experimental research, discovered the secret to accurate reloads. Since I have been practicing position techniques, trigger control and dry firing, consistent holding...actually the basics of long range shooting...ALL my reloads are more accurate! Anybody else discover this? FNP

Re: Fantastic reload accuracy discovery.

Sounds like "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

grin.gif

John

FNP,
Not possible. Everyone knows you need tons of the latest reloading widgetry in the latest catalogs, and a billion megapixel cam to post gear pics on the net. Actual shooting can't have a thing to do with accuracy.............it just cannot be so simple as relying on the basic fundamentals of marksmanship.............or could it?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like "The harder I work, the luckier I get." </div></div>

+1... I cannot agree more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btm_54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He who dies with the most reloading gear wins </div></div>

Damn! I've been doing it all wrong! I've been acquiring components. Attention to detail....yada yada yada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btm_54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He who dies with the most reloading gear wins </div></div>

Thats some funny shit right there....Sadly, lots of folks are like that and the "newnbies" like myself, whom are impressionable, tend to get sucked into that thought process that you need all the latest and greatest high-end crap to get accuracy and all the basic principles and fundamentals are out the window along with all the $$$ spent before even pulling the trigger!!!

"Since I have been practicing position techniques, trigger control and dry firing, consistent holding...actually the basics"

I often wonder about the "loading" problems many have, wonder how good their shooting skills are. Dince the military has gone to "spray and pray" few younger guys ever get any help at all on the fundamentals of shooting and that matters, a LOT.

I KNOW that shooting over a rolled up jacket laid on the hood of a truck leaves a lot to be desired for a stable shooting platform.

Not to mention that 1/2 of your brain is worrying about whether you'll put a groove in the hood of the truck rather than concentrating on the shot. And...three shot groups of less than an inch doesn't tell you much. However, three shot groups of a foot or more does share useful information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btm_54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He who dies with the most reloading gear wins </div></div>

Thats some funny shit right there....Sadly, lots of folks are like that and the "newnbies" like myself, whom are impressionable, tend to get sucked into that thought process that you need all the latest and greatest high-end crap to get accuracy and all the basic principles and fundamentals are out the window along with all the $$$ spent before even pulling the trigger!!!
</div></div>

Don't even THINK about looking at a Sinclair catalog. They'll have you buying shit you won't even know what it's for. But it's really cool and made of shiny anodized aluminum bits. And it'll be marked up 10-15% over Midway. But your reloading bench pictures will be awesome.
grin.gif

John

"three shot groups of less than an inch doesn't tell you much. However, three shot groups of a foot or more does share useful information."

Now THAT'S funny, don't care who you are! TRUE too.

If you see something in a catalog and don't know what it's for, you don't need it.

jrob300 Don't even THINK about looking at a Sinclair catalog. They'll have you buying shit you won't even know what it's for. ... John [/quote said:
I own a lot of the stuff in Sinclair's latest catalog. But I was making match quality ammo in the mid 1970's with a RockChucker and RCBS standard dies. You just have to understand what to do and how much to do it. Then know enough to know when to stop adding a little more here and there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"three shot groups of less than an inch doesn't tell you much. However, three shot groups of a foot or more does share useful information."

Now THAT'S funny, don't care who you are! TRUE too.

If you see something in a catalog and don't know what it's for, you don't need it.
</div></div>

That has happened to me several times in the last year. I looked at something in the catalog and thought to myself "self, WTF is that? I don't know but, the loads are working so we don't need it"

It it wrong that I ask myself a question and then answer myself? I'm asking you

"It it wrong that I ask myself a question and then answer myself? I'm asking you"

seems like you should know the answer to that....
wink.gif

I recently shot my first ever reloaded cartridge, that's right, popped my cherry. Believe me, I read as much as I could and felt like I did enough right, but my first shot was the least accurate cartridge I've ever fired from any gun. Of course the next nine left holes in about a 1.5" group. I believe holding the gun close to my face, looking through the scope and the fact that my knees weren't rattling were all helpful factors.

I thought that paying thousands of dollars to make cheaper ammo was good sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even THINK about looking at a Sinclair catalog. They'll have you buying shit you won't even know what it's for. But it's really cool and made of shiny anodized aluminum bits. </div></div>

This was supposed to be a joke, but I guess my humor is a little dry.

The Sinclair catalog is a lot like many other things in life. If you open it when you have a NEED, there may very well be a very good solution to your problem. If you thumb through page by page, you could get seduced by all the cool stuff and end up buying stuff you don't really NEED.

Great catalog. Cool stuff. Buyer beware.
grin.gif

Thread derail: OFF

John

+1 FNP
You can reload accurate ammo with a lee loader, a dependable powder measure, a file as a case trimmer, and some 0000 steal wool to clean them. Until you can put factory match rounds where you aim them, anything else you buy should only be bought be with the intention of saving you time. you don't buy accuracy, you earn it.

Please,....

Gentlemen, this breakthrough can not be allowed to leave the 'Hide..

I know we share info freely here but if this were to get out,.. well....who knows what would happen

~insert slow violin or piano music softly playing~~

The economy is bad enough if folks stopped buying all those gizmos more folks will be out of work,. sales will sag lower and machines will be idle, unless some other gadget or widget can be found to replace the lost revenue this finding must for the good of the shooting world be kept,..<span style="font-style: italic">a secret</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">FNP</span> I applaud your research and your sharing of your findings but think of the families of the gizmo market that would be effected

~ cut music ~

Thank You for your time..and if anyone should come up with a new widget,..for just pennies a day we could let this secret out,..but until that day

John
laugh.gif

The secrets out!!! Does that mean I can load my match rounds with my Lee handloader with the yellow powder dipper in public now ? I guess I'll cancel the order I had for the custom cryoannelseatrimfoulcarbonmicroseatrestmonobrakemolyanodizfullengthnecksizecrimpchronobersinOALmeasuregaugething.Now I'll have to spend more time shooting and cleaning my rifle,instead of calibrateing my powder scale for 3 hours.The Horror....
STEVE

It's perfectly OK to talk to yourself. It is even acceptable to answer yourself. When you have to ask yourself WTF you just said, it's time for a vacation!!!!

Lee seems to do just fine, and they seem to be as cheap as they get. They are also 1 1/2 hours from me if I need anything.

I wouldn't ever disparage Lee...if the S*** ever hits the fan, my Lee Loader .308 and .44 are a LOT more compact than the huge bench in my garage, and just as effective in most cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LngRngShtr...Are you a covert member of the White House staff? Inquiring minds want to know! </div></div>

^^^
laugh.gif

...FNP, I learned the same thing and it has made my reloads much better.

+1 I used to have a truck bed full of crap when I went to the range and my loading room is nothing short of an engineering miracle "How did I get all this stuff in this little bitty room, and where's that thing I can never find when Im looking for it!?" I have finally come to the same conclusion that simpler is better and I'd whole lot rather be out shooting than sitting at this bench trying to justify all these expensive little wingdings Ive bought to help me get better groups and such when the real lessons are learned with face on rifle, brain turned on. Now Ive just about got it regulated to if I cant take what I need in one trip to the truck, I dont need it. Same thing goes for reloading,List- good components, fairly consistant assembly, always safe and Ill work the rest out from there while shooting and have a big time doing it.