• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fast and Slow barrels?

Potss

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Sorry if this is answered somewhere, I've searched but cannot find anything definitive.

There are fast and slow barrels, which is to say there are barrels that given the exact same length and load, can yield significantly different velocities on average. In other words, you can have one barrel that is significantly faster than the other. Looking at the Tikka thread in the bolt gun forum for example, you can see PVA Rock Creek barrels doing 100fps more than stock Tikka barrels of the same length.

As I understand it, there are three primary causes for this:

1.) Tighter chambers yield more pressure and therefore higher velocity. This is supposedly the largest factor.

2.) Tighter bores with a better seal on the bullet yield higher pressures and therefore more velocity.

3.) Slicker and more concentric bores yield lower pressure and therefore lower velocity, but generally allow for more powder to be used (all else being equal) and therefore can allow for more velocity on the top end of load development (an extreme example here being HBN or similar coated bullets).

Given that, I have two questions which I cannot seem to find answers for on google.

First question: am I missing something here? Is there any other cause for one barrel of the same basic length and dimensions to be faster than another?

Second question: Is buying for speed similar to buying for accuracy? In other words, we spend 4x on a Bartlein what it costs to buy a PSA barrel because you are way more likely to get an accurate barrel from Bartlein. Does speed work the same way? In other words, are you far more likely to get a fast barrel from a top end barrel maker? For example if you got a 16in .308 5R gain twist barrel from Bartlein and had it cut by CLE, would it perform (on average) like a run of the mill PSA or DD 18in or 20in barrel in terms of velocity?

Well, I seldom have identical guns to my friends but have on occasion, and on occasion have had multiples of the same gun.
In one instance I had a Ruger Redhawk identical to J's and with same ammo (out of revolvers) his was consistantly 100-120 fps faster.

I had multiple 10/22's and accuracy and speed would vary with identical factory barrels.

I agree that tighter chambers / throats will increase your velocities - also tighter bores can increase velocities, but may also just increase pressures and friction and you may NOT get the higher velocities - also barrel condition will have an effect - as erosion happens it increases the friction and will lower your velocities, One thing I was told by a gunsmith is that he always pushed a slug thru from each direction as he could feel the bore tighten at one end and that he would choose for the muzzle.

I am not aware of any barrel maker advertising "fast" barrels and I think it's the luck of the draw (even from the same maker)

Your most likely way over thinking the whole process.
Any of the custom barrel makers put out great products and any of them would serve you well.
I went with a Bartlien 5r for my latest barrel mainly because it had the twist rate and profile I wanted and was in stock when I wanted one.
I would have done the same if it was a KRIEGER or Rock or Meullerworks barrel and Bartlien was out of stock.

The issue with the Tikka barrels running slower velocity is well known but doesn't seem to amount to much as they seem to shoot pretty damn well and is most likely attributed to a little looser bore dimension but they are mass produced barrels.

Yeah I'm not out there looking for the fastest barrel, I just wanted to make sure I understood why barrels end up like this.

And I just thought it was interesting looking at the velocities some folks were getting and thinking "wait, that custom 18in is getting more velocity than a factory 22in!" That is where is starts to matter in some cases, less length+weight (especially when using a suppressor) at the same velocities can be very desirable. I have heard it is luck of the draw as well, even from top end barrel makers like Bartlein (who I'd use anyway).

Last edited: