• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faster twist barrels?

bark-eater

Private
Minuteman
Are faster twist barrels an advantage at longer ranges? I've read that the disadvantage is "over-stabilization" that effects lighter bullets and magnifies any flaws in the bullet. Im wondering if a bullet is able to maintain its flight with out "wobbles" as it spins "to fast" and is still spinning faster compared to a bullet out of a standard barrel, When it gets out past 100yds or 200yds, will it be more stable?

Re: Faster twist barrels?

The 1:9 will shoot the Aquila SSS. But that would probably over stabilize other rounds. Look at the common twist rates of RF rifles. Got to be a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bark-eater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 1:9 barrel that shoots around 1" at 100yd with cci hp using a 4x scope .....on the occasional good day . I have'nt been able to shoot paper past 100yds yet. </div></div>

So snag some Aquila SSS and see how it shoots. That is what that twist really is for.

The optium twist for a 22 rimfire is 14,16 twist. Reason the bullet weight. Any commerical gun will have either of those twists some have come through with 12 but few and far between. A 9 twist is a usless twist for rimfire not avaiaible in commerical guns. A Winchester 52a,b,c,d,e had either 14,16 depending on year don't have all info but those guns would shoot to 50,100,200 very accuratly depending on the ammo. The remington 40X reacted the same. I shoot rimfire benchrest with a custom action and barrel of 16 twist if I shot my 17 twist it will shoot well in cool weather but when the temps go up its crap. The ammo you guys are talking about is crap. To shoot well invest in good ammo either ELEY, Lapua try several diffrent types of each and learn. Remember in rimfire faster is usually not better. For much more info on 22's go to benchrest.com rimfire section and read and ak questions from the masters of the sport.
Hope this helps.

What answer are you looking for? The only reason to get a quick twist barrel is to use a specialty round such as the Aguila
60 gr SSS. I have one for a custom 10/22. The round penetrates extremely well for a 22. For match shooting accuracy, all you need is a good 1/14 or 1/16 twist barrel and great ammo. A quicker twist is going to do nothing for you with crap ammo,
or good ammo for that matter. 40 grainers and under, standard twist. Wanna shoot the heavies, get a 1 in 9.

Question is if a bullet can maintain stability at a initialy higher rate of spin, will the longer period of "rotational inertia" at longer ranges be an advantage? Its a theory. Im getting good results at 100 yds with the wrong barrel and crap ammo.

Actulley no, this is a fairly good topic not covered much.
There is a lot of reading to do about this on the Chey Tec 416. Even try wikipedia.
They patented a procress where the barrel imputs something on the round to SLOW the rotational inertia as the round travels further on its path. This is because the rotating keep the round firmly riggid in its gyro-scopics. As the round slows and comes down on its path the roation doesnt allow the nose to dip down to match the trajectory. Ironicly the rotational inertia causes yaw.

I'm not really sure it applies with 22lr bullets since their BC's are already pretty low (~.130) but CheyTac is selling the concept of balanced flight. Meaning the relationship between the rotational velocity of the bullet and the forward velocity of the bullet will remain as a constant. As the bullet's forward velocity decreases the rotational velocity would also decrease at a similar percentage. In theory what this will provide is a more stable BC of the bullet throughout the duration of the flight.

Conventionally, during the bullet flight, the bullet become more stable since the forward velocity decreases at a faster rate than the rotational velocity. At very long range, when the bullet should be arcing downward toward the target, if the bullet is over stablized the gyroscopic effect will not let it establish a nose down attitude, which effects the actual BC of the bullet, since it would be flying ever so slightly sideways.

I'm not sure if this concept would apply to a 22lr bullet, since it's a short blob whether it's flying straight or ever so slightly sideways.

I do wonder about what drag issues there are with the heeled bullet.

What? I didnt word it properly? Must be an echo around in here. But yes, I thought the same thing about it not really meaning much with 22's. But it was the only thing i could think of when he asked about spin rate and long flight.

my quick read of the wiki article leads me to think that "balanced flight" is an idea to minimize the effect of dropping out of supersonic flight. Im more interested in subsonic .22s. Thats realy interesting though. thanks