• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faster twist rate RimX barrel

MBanning

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
NC
Does anyone have any experience with a faster than 1:16" barrel twist rate? I see PVA has 1:12". Mike Bush of Vudoo has seen great results from a 1:9".
I may try the new Cutting Edge offerings, 32gr and maybe 42gr(if It will feed from a 22mag magazine?) but I do still want to be able to shoot standard 40gr lead match offerings. Any preferred barrel manufacturers that offer faster twist?
I am planning on a 22"- 24" length. I guess I'm looking for the fastest twist rate I can run 40gr lead with the hope of trying some new copper bullets too. The plan is shooting matches with some targets beyond 300 yards.
Thanks, MBanning

Last edited:
I have a Straight Jacket Armory 18" 1:14. It seems to be doing alright with a touch faster twist.
IMG_20210210_172850_624.jpg

For what it's worth, as of Feb. 10, 2021, VGW has taken orders for and built nine fast twist rifles, only a small percentage of the many -- probably thousands -- of Vudoo rifles out there.

One or two very nice groups shot with a fast twist barrel isn't reliable evidence for how they perform. Many shooters are eager for reliable data about them (Mike Bush says he finished testing them two years ago) but it hasn't been made available. See posts # 174 - 185 here (2) 22LR twist rate | Sniper's Hide Forum

Reactions: MBanning
I have no skin in the game with CE bullets. But Ive had zero issues shooting lead 22LR out to 500yd (UM22, CX). The only problem I found after 300yd was elevation which is why I switched from an Athlon Ares ETR to a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 APRS1. Even then, at 500yd Im maxed out and using all of the tree reticle. Gotta get me a 40moa base from Zermatt.

But consistency and accuracy wise, zero issues with my Bartlein and Krieger rimfire 1:16 barrels.

Here's 300yd with a Bartlein 1:16

I ordered a 1:12" from PVA. 24" Heavy Palma, threaded for suppressor. I think that will be my quickest option the get the rifle finished. They claim it will be ready in 5-7 weeks. I swore off PVA after getting screwed on a tripod. I guess they are getting a second chance. I did send them an email to answer a question and got a fast, helpful reply.
Once we start seeing some results from some of the new solids I will spec out a Bartlein in a faster twist and do some comparison.

Reactions: RS14 and Geno C.
ordered a 1:12 from PVA today. Looking forward to getting it and testing it out. ill let yall know what kind of results I get once I get it and put some rounds down range

Reactions: MBanning