• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fastest flattest screaming SOB

Re: Fastest flattest screaming SOB

I had a 6mm AI that would push a 87 grain vmax (.400 BC) to 3600 FPS. However, if I were going to do it again, I would go with a .243 AI because it will fit in a short action easier. Actually, I would just do a plain .243. In a barrel that has a accurate life of 1200 or so rounds, it sucks to burn it up fire forming brass.

So we are giving advice to you, to pass along to your buddy?

I spoke with your shy, hapless, no internet buddy, he's settled on a 22WRM.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the input guys. So far he likes the 240 incinerator and the 22 CHeetah

I keep pushing him to 22-250 for availability of brass

We will see

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input guys. So far he likes the 240 incinerator and the 22 CHeetah

I keep pushing him to 22-250 for availability of brass

We will see </div></div>
but 240 Incinerator sounds much cooler

My Do-All rifle is a 20" 243AI, which means it rides around in the truck also.

Kills everything around here dead as hell, everything from groundhogs to coyotes to turkeys to deer to russian boar.

87 Vmax/85 TSX at 3250 fps.......fast enough, and flat enough to zero at 200 yards, and everything else is a modest twist of a turret.

270 WSM or 25WSSM on an AR platform. The latter is one of the best truck guns I've ever, although not practical uless you reload. I don't think the death of the 25WSSM in the retail world is fast approching.

243AI easy to fireform brass doesnt stretch as bad. Load it up hot wih 55 Noslers and SPEED KILLS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
22-50GMC2.jpg

Seriously though, A 22-250 AI or non AI would be my choice. </div></div>

OMFG, there is something seriously wrong with that picture.

The one on the left is out of place. The other two look perfect.

If he's fine with switching bolts, the .204 ruger. Incredibly light recoil, availability of reloading supplies, and performance is spectacular.
If he doesn't want to change bolts, 22-250. Again, availability of supplies, can run his can on it, and you can push that bitch to warp speed and it will impress you what it can do. More energy than the 204 for hogs, coyotes at distance, etc. I sold my .308 after it sat in the closet for two years...it's just such so much fun shooting my 22-250. Crows, prairie dogs, coyotes, tresspassers, anything.

I am working on a .14/223 build on a Tikka T3.

4500 fps + But don't expect much range... Or barrel life. But that's not the point. The point is... because you can!

When I was at GD, we worked with some progressive charge 'guns' that would use several charges to accelerate a .50 cal projectile to 10,000+ FPS. The terminal effect was incredible. Steel blocks that a .50 BMG AP would 'dent' would have a softball sized hole spalled out of them. You could stick your fist in.

Energy goes up with the square of velocity...

For anyone who wants something 'reasonable' though... the .22/250 or the 220 Swift are both excellent choices.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12b.jpg
</div></div>

I want. Is that a real cartridge or a joke? </div></div>

+2. What is this?

A flat shooter is a 6.5 Allen, which is a .338 Lapua case necked down to 6.5mm

can't believe it hasn't been mentioned a slow twist 6-284 put on a 12 twist barrel and shoot bullets 60 grains or less well in excess of 4000 fps should be the job done.

20-6mm remington
22-6mm remington

One of those wildcats would scream the light bullets out. Or the 243AI shooting the light bullets at more than 4k fps.

short action, 308 bolt face hard to look past some variant of the .22-250.

Fast and low recoil.
20 BR
20 Dasher (BR case with shoulder moved forward)
17 BR shooting 37 gr VLD bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12b.jpg
</div></div>

+2. What is this? </div></div>
Totally a joke. It's a 50 BMG necked to 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-243 Middlestead.

Buy your barrels buy the bunch
laugh.gif
</div></div>

This. A gunsmith friend of mine used to shoot one of these and it was a freakin laser.

get him a 22-250 take the rifle down and have some bada$$ name engraved on the barrel like 22 screaming eagle get a set of dies and have a label made the same marking as the barrel and buy him 500 rounds of brass have a good time
but the 240 Incinerator sounds cool too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12b.jpg
</div></div>

+2. What is this? </div></div>
Totally a joke. It's a 50 BMG necked to 223. </div></div>

no, it was a real round...and it was not a .50bmg..it was a 378weatherby mag....dubbed the eargesplitten loudenboomer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12b.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Totally a joke. It's a 50 BMG necked to 223. </div></div>
no, it was a real round...and it was not a .50bmg..it was a 378weatherby mag....dubbed the eargesplitten loudenboomer</div></div>

wrong, the above cartridge is not the loudenboomer, the loudenboomer is a betled case, the the above cartridge is clearly not that

Pretty sure its not a 378 Weatherby Mag, It looks more like a 50BMG!! The 378 has a belt and is quite a bit smaller than a 12G in diameter!! What ever it is it looks like the bullet would vaporise before it left the barrel LOL!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're overlooking a real winner. The 243 win should be able to run the 55gr bullets to 3800, the 75gr bullets to 3400.

Brass is always available. Easy to load for. Light recoiling.

Forget fireforming for a play gun(this coming from someone who is a huge Ackley fan) </div></div>

Darn right! 58 Vmax at 3850 pile-drives coyotes.
I'm going in the morning!

I just built a guy a 22/6mmAckley Improved.

Shoots in the .3s for him. I think he said he's shooting 90ish grain bullets around 3300 or 3400, I dont remember exactly what he said.
Those heavy .22 bullets have impressive BCs.

Or you could shoot the light 55gr bullets at light speed.

Might be fun to play with.

I wouldn't use any 22 caliber if I was hunting Hogs. I've hunted them before and the big hogs need a bit more for a clean kill unless you are using Barnes bullets with PERFECT shot placement.

I know its an old thread but just thought i'd throw into the pot , I have a 220 swift that pushes the 52g A-max around 4,057 ft/sec av which drops around 5.5 inches at 300 yards when zeroed at 100 yards but i wanted to see how fast i could push the velocity issue without giving anything away to the wind . So i went with a WSM case and a 55g Nosler Bal tip in 6mm which looks as if your sitting a bullet on a dustbin !
I got to 4,300 ft/sec with Norma brass and R15 and 4,400 ft/sec with Winchester brass but the moment i switched to R17 and Winchester brass she hit a sweet spot at 4,530 ft/sec which i stuck with and she drops approx 2.75 inches at 300 yards .
Hope this was of interest to any velocity monsters out there !

Ran a 22-243 middlested two years ago with a 55 grain b.t. @4080 fps it will do more if you like, extremely accurate. I ran a 22x47 lapua last year with 80 grain vld's at 3400+ fps, If your looking for speed and a better point blank zero do the middlested. If your running into shots past the 400 yard mark I would use the lapua with the heavies. I myself have switched to the 6x47 lapua with the 105 hybrid @3150 and think its the best of both worlds.

I'd build a 243 with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist.

Me and my brother both have one in 24 and 26" and with 55gr v-max I can get 4300fps out of ours which I'd say is screaming .

Yes this is a standard 243 not a AI and this way brass is cheap and easy to get , no fire forming etc.

With the "new bolt" option, maybe try the 22BR. The 40grn Vmax hits 4000 easy and I'd put the accuracy up against anything mentioned so far.

Good luck with it.

I built a 20x47L with a 27" barrel.

Too much power even for the 55 grain Bergers which struggle to stay together at 3830 fps. The cartridge is easily capable of pushing these at 4000 fps with R-17. I'm going to try the 40 vmax next, slowed waaaaay down to 4300fps.

Almost wishing I'd done 22x47L now.

I love stories/ questions that begin with, "a buddy of mine...", "I have this friend who...", "I know a guy...", etc.

22-250 or 220 Swift (not much wtf is that factor though.

22-243 middlested,22-284 (these just look badass), 20 dasher or BR. A buddy has the 20br, 39 gr bkings@4100. The dasher could get another 100-150 fps. Personally sent 55 gr bkings@3950 from a 22" 243. If he is set on running a 22 cal can then the best combo of speed,accuracy and barrel life is 20 dasher. Annealing and nk turning are needed though but practically zero recoil without a can.

I have a .17Predator (17-223 Improved) built by Greg Tannel that runs a 30gr Gold@ 4100. Supremely accurate, zero recoil, and it locks up coyotes pretty good.
Oklahoma2013042_zpsefe26edb.jpg

That said, a straight necked down 17-204 will do that speed, easily, with less loading chores.
My friend Kerry went a step further & ran a .17Predator reamer deep to utilize .204 case length and he got 4500+ with the same 30gr Kindler Golds! Calls it the 17WCH (Western Coyote Hunter) Honest to goodness hold on fur 400yds coyote rifle. Run the ballistics with a .27 G1 BC! A 20-250AI would be simlar, I'd imagine...

But my latest "pisser" rifle has been a straight .22-243 Win with a fast twist (1:7.7") Krieger. 75Amaxs @ 3500+, stupid accurate, cake to load for with Lapua brass/bushing die, and no fireforming. Been ringing my steel coyote beyond 900yds with it, while still on the 1st turn of the ele. turret. Wicked chuck rifle, and will get some coyote action this fall/winter...
Spring2013042_zps3d6f288a.jpg

Also, kilt a deer with a 70gr TSX, blowed right on thru the both shoulder blades. This .22-243 is more fun than my GAP .243 was, and that rifle was a hammer. Sold it, and hardly miss it, cuz this .22-243 is simplistic badazzery...