• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fastest Military Crimp Removal

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
What's the fastest way to remove the military crimp from 4k pieces of 5.56 brass without spending a ton of money to do it?

I know there are machines that can do it in a couple hours, but I'm not spending $2k to do it. Also want something more effective than the phillips head screw driver bit trick.

Thanks!

Reactions: Rookie and treillw
The fastest is inline swaging on the press, but that entails buying a new press.
I thought you were talking about a new progressive press. I've entertained the idea. I have an old Dillon 450 and have been thinking of getting something else.

What I've been using for years now is an RCBS primer crimp cutter screwed into a 1" 8/32 standoff, chucked into a variable speed drill that can be set to low speed. In a padded vice and a 5 gal. bucket underneath.

It takes about 2 seconds per case and you just drop it into the bucket. It's very fast. I've tried all of the different cutters and the best is the newer, current RCBS cutter with the Hornady cutter in second. I already had the 3/8" drill and a big padded vice.

My only cost was the cutter and the 8/32 standoff.

I thought you were talking about a new progressive press. I've entertained the idea. I have an old Dillon 450 and have been thinking of getting something else.
The Dillon 1050, 1100 and CPS 2000 all have swaging built in but are now over $2000 each.

The swageit.com tool for the 550 should fit the 450 but will void the Dillon warranty.

The standalone Dillon 600 and Frankford Arsenal swagers both work well but require some care in setting them up to not break.
In the Dillon's case it is the lever, it's now made of aluminum not steel like it used to be. In the FA's case it is the frame itself.
If set up properly both work fine.

Reactions: RegionRat
What I've been using for years now is an RCBS primer crimp cutter screwed into a 1" 8/32 standoff, chucked into a variable speed drill that can be set to low speed. In a padded vice and a 5 gal. bucket underneath.

It takes about 2 seconds per case and you just drop it into the bucket. It's very fast. I've tried all of the different cutters and the best is the newer, current RCBS cutter with the Hornady cutter in second. I already had the 3/8" drill and a big padded vice.

What do you mean by standoff? Stud in the back of the cutter so you can put it in the drill?

I've used both the dillon and rcbs swaging tools and both work well. They are stand-alone tools that don't require a press. The dillon is better built than the rcbs, but if it is adjusted properly, the rcbs will do fine. I have also used the rcbs military crimp cutters mounted on the rcbs case mate. They also work, but I prefer swaging.

Reactions: powdahound76
If you don’t plan on doing 4k rounds often, there are some brass processors (or at least there used to be) out there that can do that for you. Last time I did this it was about .05 a case, but they also sized, trimmed, and polished it for me The place I used has been gone several years now, but I’m sure you can google up a list.

I know this raises some eyebrows, but have you ever looked the Lee APP?
If you tie one to a case feeder, it helps with monotonous tasks.

Frankfort Arsenal swagger worked well for me. Fast and no finger cramps from cutting. Trying to minimize arthritis as I get older.

I use the Dillon super swage. I’ve thought about getting one of these. I think he sales them for around $150

Reactions: Rookie
THIS holds a deburing / chamfering tool , add a power screw driver or portable drill , cut the crimp and chamfer the case mouth.
Works really well while sitting in a recliner and watching TV.

Dillon 1050 or 1100 hooked up to a Mark7.

Mine runs at 2,000 - 3,500 cases per hour.

qrI5AEB.mp4

• Love
Reactions: spife7980 and Dead
I have about 4k+ ahead of me once I use my current brass (will take few years) but I have already started to look at different solutions to swage or cut the crimp.

You probably have the FA case prep center or similar to trim/deburr/chamfer?

Case prepping machine could work well. When the brass is clean it is not hard to keep a hold of them but good gloves help a lot.

I've had the best luck with my press mounted RCBS swager. I put a thick washer over the ram to 'pop' the swaged case off the peg on the down stroke. Everyone has their favorite methods, and this is mine due to the ease of set-up and use.

I don't like removing material when I don't have to and I've never had a problem with over or under swaging--pockets stay nice and tight and I've never had an issue seating after swaging.

I also don't have to worry about if I'm holding a case perfectly in line with a cutter--no mushroom head primers after firing because I hogged out too much.

When I started in on multiple thousands of rounds that Dillon swager got old real fast. I have ended up using a cordless drill clamped into anything so it wont move, on slow speed and I use a carbide 1/4" diameter 90 degree chamfering tool. I can go through a 1000 cases much faster this way then any other I have tried. As a bonus if you have to chamfer the case mouth ID you can do both ends at once.

^^^
This

I have the rcbs inline and it worked decent for probably 15k 556. Then it broke with the first 1k of 308. I emailed about warranty and got a long as email basically saying send it back and maybe they do something if the stars align

The LEE Ram Swage works well for me. Single stage press, so a little tedious but it works better than the cutters I've tried. Plus its very affordable.