• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fat bastard brake

Floridaman

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2020
Southeast Texas
Hi, I've been eyeing the fat bastard brake. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the report, felt reduction in recoil, and if the Gen 3s performs measurably better or if it's more of a gimmick. I'm relatively new to long range shooting and forums so kids gloves please.

You don't say what caliber rifle on which you want to use the brake, and that factors in. The FB is a big brake. I looked at it for my first custom build in 6.5CM year before last and decided on its little brother, the Little B*rd. That was the gen-1 version. I just started breaking in a new 6.5CM rifle on a different action with a lighter barrel profile and put the gen-2 Little B*rd on it. I considered the gen-3 with the top ports, but I'm able to spot my impacts just fine with the gen-1 brake so elected to save $60 and run gen-2 (I needed the self-timing capability as this is a switch-barrel rig) instead of -3. That's not to say -3 is a gimmick; I can't state that because I haven't used it.

If you run a google search on "muzzle brake test," you'll find several interesting tests and some are quite comprehensive. There are also lots of threads here on SH about the subject. The search function works quite well. Use it. If you're a newbie, you'll have lots of basic questions which have been answered / discussed / argued over in great plenty, and people here will be appreciative of your looking at existing info before asking for it again.

As for the report: brakes are loud. All of them. The APA brakes are reportedly among the loudest... but if how loud it is matters, you're gonna get told to get a suppressor.

Welcome. Lots of info here.

You may spend a little more on the gen 3 but I've found it is sometimes worth piece of mind that you have the best and don't end up just going and buying it after settlinf on the first round. I have shot the fat and little bastard brake(gen 2 and 3) and you can't go wrong either way. I have no scientific data to to tell you gen 3 works better but I think maybe it does and for a rifle that can cost thousands $50 difference in gen 2 or 3 isnt all that much

Reactions: Floridaman
I would get the gen 3. I've had an area 419 side winder and spa fat barstard and the side winder is better in every way but I'd like to try a gen 3 little barstard

Reactions: Floridaman