• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fat Cattle Dead in Kansas

AHorn

Tha man
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
Murfreesboro,Arkansas
Thoughts on the reported 10,000 head of fat cattle dying in Kansas feed lots from "heat wave"?? I'm not buying that, if it is in fact true that 10k head have actually died in the last couple days. There are several articles on the interweb about it. Something doesn't smell right.

is the answer white people ? maybe chupacabra , swamp gas , government experiments , aliens those giant metal blood sucking worms at the very least

Bloodworms-copper-teeth-1.png

almost looks like wait for it
1655357210081.jpeg

spooky the resemblance is .

I guess you aren't here in KS. It's hot, and humid as can be, and hot all damned day. Not cooling enough at night for the livestock to recover. I am told they can handle quite hot days in the sun, as long as they have a reasonable night (and access to water).

As far as I have seen, the official reported number is in the 3,000 range but the guesses are over 10,000. And that's just KS. Expected toll in (less hot but similar) IA is 4,000, and so forth.

We have a lot of cows. They die from environmental conditions, this is just a significant burst from the sudden heat, but a few thousand die a year like this, just generally more spread out.

I guess you aren't here in KS. It's hot, and humid as can be, and hot all damned day. Not cooling enough at night for the livestock to recover. I am told they can handle quite hot days in the sun, as long as they have a reasonable night (and access to water).

As far as I have seen, the official reported number is in the 3,000 range but the guesses are over 10,000. And that's just KS. Expected toll in (less hot but similar) IA is 4,000, and so forth.

We have a lot of cows. They die from environmental conditions, this is just a significant burst from the sudden heat, but a few thousand die a year like this, just generally more spread out.
How do all the cattle everywhere that’s hot like that every year survive? Been record highs here and always have stupid high humidity. It was almost 90 still as of a little while ago when I looked. They aren’t dying by the thousands here. Maybe state wide, but not one place.

How do all the cattle everywhere that’s hot like that every year survive? Been record highs here and always have stupid high humidity. It was almost 90 still as of a little while ago when I looked. They aren’t dying by the thousands here. Maybe state wide, but not one place.
Are they on pastures or drunk in a feedlot?

Reactions: skinney_7
Mammals in general can adapt to extreme conditions but it takes time. When i worked with wild horses it was not uncommon for entire herds to succumb to extreme shifts in the local climate. Also, depending on the feedlot, a lot of the cows on standing around or on concrete with just reflects the heat back onto them.

Just wait until next week the numbers will go up. Fat cattle 1000+ pounds are like an obese 300# person sitting in the sun and 100 temps. Even if the lot owner has some shading and a sprinkler system some fat cattle will die.

My FIL raised beef for decades as a family farmer. Heat waves kills livestock. No conspiracy needed.....they just can't recover from multiple days in a row of extremely hot weather and they die. Happens a lot actually.

VooDoo

Thoughts on the reported 10,000 head of fat cattle dying in Kansas feed lots from "heat wave"?? I'm not buying that, if it is in fact true that 10k head have actually died in the last couple days. There are several articles on the interweb about it. Something doesn't smell right.
A lot of terrible things have been happening in the past few years that don't add up, look closely you will see what I mean.

Different parts of the country I guess. I have had black angus for about 28 years and never lost one to heat. It's been a heat index of 100+ all week here. I expect it would matter if they were on feed lots.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
It’s way too hot for this early in the summer. Hell, it’s not even officially summer yet. We’re expecting over 100* every day next week. That’s just unheard of this early in the year. Wait till august. 😳

Reactions: NoDopes
When I was yet working one of our clients at a local university were Agroclimatoligists. Used to have some pretty cool discussions with those folks about the effects of climate change on farming, livestock production, agriculture and such silly shit....they were sounding the alarms a few decades ago about how the numbers of days above "critical temperature" has been steadily rising and growing exponentially. Too many hot days in a row above a certain temperature affects many things agricultural. We ain't seen nothing yet if these guys are even half right.

VooDoo

Nebraska and Kansas are the second and third largest states, in terms of cow population, with 6.8 million and 6.3 million cattle heads respectively.

10,000 out of 6,800,000 in KS. Probably more than that were born during the same time period. :ROFLMAO:

When I was yet working one of our clients at a local university were Agroclimatoligists. Used to have some pretty cool discussions with those folks about the effects of climate change on farming, livestock production, agriculture and such silly shit....they were sounding the alarms a few decades ago about how the numbers of days above "critical temperature" has been steadily rising and growing exponentially. Too many hot days in a row above a certain temperature affects many things agricultural. We ain't seen nothing yet if these guys are even half right.

VooDoo
Heh heh, VooDoo said 'climate change' heh heh. That old conservative trigger word.

Could those boys be onto something? Personally, I think only a moron would continue to believe we are not affecting the planet. Is some of it over done by the libtards...of course, but there are two sides to every story, and theirs has some validity.

Popcorn?

Nebraska and Kansas are the second and third largest states, in terms of cow population, with 6.8 million and 6.3 million cattle heads respectively.

10,000 out of 6,800,000 in KS. Probably more than that were born during the same time period. :ROFLMAO:
Thats a lot of farts. We need a way to siphon off that gas and use it for cars and home heat. Ruck the Russian oil.

Mammals in general can adapt to extreme conditions but it takes time. When i worked with wild horses it was not uncommon for entire herds to succumb to extreme shifts in the local climate. Also, depending on the feedlot, a lot of the cows on standing around or on concrete with just reflects the heat back onto them.
What about Australian cows ? Live in 40deg weather for weeks at a time, not much water, produce AMAZING quality meat.

VooDoo
1655383106076.png

Reactions: BLEE
Heh heh, VooDoo said 'climate change' heh heh. That old conservative trigger word.

Could those boys be onto something? Personally, I think only a moron would continue to believe we are not affecting the planet. Is some of it over done by the libtards...of course, but there are two sides to every story, and theirs has some validity.

Popcorn?

The earth was built to sustain humans. We may litter it up. But the earth can hold its own.

Now are cow farts and cars causing the changes going on with the other planets in our solar system?

God has said He is gonna shake things up and the earth was going roll like a drunkard. How do you think God might manifest that in reality without showing His hand?

Climate extremes are just a symptom of what’s coming.

Last edited:
As a bit of a cattleman myself, I'll confirm that cattle can and will die in heat waves.

Stockyards and feed yards have little to no shade, and zero ponds for the cattle to stand in. Here in the Oklahoma heat, most of my cows and calves will spend a couple hours per day standing in a pond or creek. Certainly they spend 90 percent of the rest of the time in shade.

In addition, many of your favorite "breeds" and crosses for steaks are black, and fed to have more fat...two big negatives in the heat and sunshine. Add the stress of being cramped into small spaces (stressed cattle evacuate - piss and shit a lot), and it is a recipe for disaster.

I'll be taking another 38 calves to market in a couple weeks (I run two loads per year). On the July run, I'm off in enough time to make sure they hit the stockyard before noon.

Popcorn?
Personally, I think only a moron would trust what these scientist paid to push political agendas say after what we have seen and learned since 2019. You think we are warming the planet with cow farts? How exactly do you estimate we are effecting our environment? I.E What is changing the temperature, that is not changing, and the weather that has always been unpredictable? They talk about "above average" like its abnormal. Its not, half the time it should be above average, thats how average works.

Probably from supersonic shockwaves.
Was there a match near by recently with lots of 6.5 Creedmoo shooters?

Reactions: mtrmn
What about Australian cows ? Live in 40deg weather for weeks at a time, not much water, produce AMAZING quality meat.

Yeah, how would they do in 15 degree F weather? Probably not so well, they are bred for a particular climate, generally HOT, they have extremely mild winters in Australia.

Yeah, how would they do in 15 degree F weather? Probably not so well, they are bred for a particular climate, generally HOT, they have extremely mild winters in Australia.
different breed of cattle down there, fat cattle on a hot finishing ration can't take the heat and humidity that has occurred, they typically have most of the fats gone by the heat of summer. This was probably at one of the very large cattle feeding operations. Some hold 50,000+ head at a time. They use the time to start smaller cattle and clean pens etc. Nothing new here other than the news media in a frenzy over any type of mass casualty event.

Reactions: diggler1833
different breed of cattle down there, fat cattle on a hot finishing ration can't take the heat and humidity that has occurred, they typically have most of the fats gone by the heat of summer. This was probably at one of the very large cattle feeding operations. Some hold 50,000+ head at a time. They use the time to start smaller cattle and clean pens etc. Nothing new here other than the news media in a frenzy over any type of mass casualty event.
I understand it is a different breed of cattle, that was my point.
The poster was basically saying that Australian cattle don't die from the heat.
Bet they would from the cold in Kansas though.

Reactions: iceng and SWgeezer
Personally, I think only a moron would trust what these scientist paid to push political agendas say after what we have seen and learned since 2019. You think we are warming the planet with cow farts? How exactly do you estimate we are effecting our environment? I.E What is changing the temperature, that is not changing, and the weather that has always been unpredictable? They talk about "above average" like its abnormal. Its not, half the time it should be above average, thats how average works.
And all I had to do was drop the trigger word.

The 'cow farts' was just a joke, dont get all 'stunk' up about it.

Its not just looking at what a few people are saying, its looking at things in an over view. Of course no one incident can be taken alone but if you look at the state of the oceans, the declining forests, Nuke shit like Fuck u shima, and add them to all the rest, it paints a discouraging picture. Google 'Oil spills in Siberia'. The Ruskies ar leaking the equivalent of the gulf disaster every few months.

When you add it all up...Bad news ahead. If you cant, or refuse to, see it, thats on you.

Something else to consider is the hardiness of the breed. Longhorns were (and still are to a lesser extent) ran in Texas because they genetically adapted to hot climates with lower grade forage. Brahman cattle were imported from India to Texas for the same purpose. Many (most) of the cross-bred cattle lines being run in Texas are of Brahman descent. Hell, if you hear a cattleman refer to an "F1 cross" in Texas (which, biologically, refers to any first generation cross), they are nearly invariably referring to a Brahman x "something" cross. Breeds run in more northern climates may be better suited to more harsh winters, but may suffer more in unexpectedly harsh summers. Animals die- even animals we use as food sources. More die when conditions are severe. And, you can't just look at the raw numbers. 10,000 may seem like a lot, but it is meaningless without perspective. How many die in a "typical" year? What percent of the total are dead?

This is akin to the "OMG All tHe FoOd PRocESsinG PlANTs aRe BuRniNG dOwn!!"

Whatever the cause or reason, im sure this will be just enough reason for the Big 4 to raise the prices of beef a bunch. And I don't mean for the farmers and stockers. Just the packers get that $!

If the market actually feels this, you will see it at the Auction barn first...

If the market actually feels this, you will see it at the Auction barn first...

That's not usually how it works, look at the futures market now and the prices of beef. Then try to contract you a couple loads to the feed yards. You will find out where all the money is being made. It's not the farmers/stockers. The feed yards will buy the cattle for $10-$20 back the board. So basically the board is worthless. Profit margins are pennys on the dollar for the little guy, compared to the packers.

That's not usually how it works, look at the futures market now and the prices of beef. Then try to contract you a couple loads to the feed yards. You will find out where all the money is being made. It's not the farmers/stockers. The feed yards will buy the cattle for $10-$20 back the board. So basically the board is worthless. Profit margins are pennys on the dollar for the little guy, compared to the packers.
My point is only that when there are few cattle at sale, the price will be up- if only $10-20 per 100lbs. Yes the margins are thin for the growers. The packers can show more "value add" for their labor.

There is a growing movement for going straight to the source. Buying direct from the grower and having it butchered- cutting out the middle man. We go one step further and just have one of ours butchered when we need the meat. But, most of the meat in our house is venison. My dad owns the cattle.

Something else to consider is the hardiness of the breed. Longhorns were (and still are to a lesser extent) ran in Texas because they genetically adapted to hot climates with lower grade forage. Brahman cattle were imported from India to Texas for the same purpose. Many (most) of the cross-bred cattle lines being run in Texas are of Brahman descent. Hell, if you hear a cattleman refer to an "F1 cross" in Texas (which, biologically, refers to any first generation cross), they are nearly invariably referring to a Brahman x "something" cross. Breeds run in more northern climates may be better suited to more harsh winters, but may suffer more in unexpectedly harsh summers. Animals die- even animals we use as food sources. More die when conditions are severe. And, you can't just look at the raw numbers. 10,000 may seem like a lot, but it is meaningless without perspective. How many die in a "typical" year? What percent of the total are dead?

This is akin to the "OMG All tHe FoOd PRocESsinG PlANTs aRe BuRniNG dOwn!!"
For those not aware, the Santa Gertrudis are the only true American developed cattle.

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Santa_Gertrudis_cattleSanta Gertrudis cattle - Wikipedia

The Santa Gertrudis is an American breed of beef cattle. It is a taurine-indicine hybrid breed, descended from both zebu and European cattle. It was bred in the early twentieth century in Texas,

Reactions: kindabitey
or you can go with one that was purely survial of the fittest.
"The roots of the Texas Longhorn go back to the late 1400s. Cattle were not indigenous to North America, but were introduced by gold-seeking Spanish conquistadors."​

For those not aware, the Santa Gertrudis are the only true American developed cattle.

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Santa_Gertrudis_cattleSanta Gertrudis cattle - Wikipedia

The Santa Gertrudis is an American breed of beef cattle. It is a taurine-indicine hybrid breed, descended from both zebu and European cattle. It was bred in the early twentieth century in Texas,
Not true. There are a number of "crossbred" cattle breeds, and many have been developed in the US. For example, we raised Beefmaster cattle when I was a kid.

Brangus is another.

My dad liked Santa Gertrudis bulls because they threw small calves that were unlikely to cause complications during birth. At least, that was his belief. But, we had beefmaster, charolais, Brahman, Santa Gertrudis, and even a Limousine bull at various times. We slowly moved away from registered cattle, especially when the market turned with the rise of "Angus Brand" cattle. Black skin carries a premium, even at the cattle auction barn- and they don't even need to be Angus breed cattle to be "angus brand" cattle.

Reactions: lash and babyguppy
"Santa Gertrudis bulls because they threw small calves.."
Neighbors had them and loved them. Born small and grow fast. Used them on their heifers, to avoid complications.
Lots of issues with Limo's and Brahman's with heifers; they are NOT small calves.
Fuk'n Brahman's were like elk when it came to fences. 5 foot, I think I can make it, and if they don't, they don't care, and there goes your fence.

"Santa Gertrudis bulls because they threw small calves.."
Neighbors had them and loved them. Born small and grow fast. Used them on their heifers, to avoid complications.
Lots of issues with Limo's and Brahman's with heifers; they are NOT small calves.
One of my uncles had a thing against limousine bulls. Said they threw calves with giant heads. IDK. One jumped our fence and none of the neighbors would claim to have owned it. Became ours. I don't remember how long we had him, whether he was actually used for breeding, or what was done with him. I think if my uncle had his way, he'd have been shot and left for the buzzards.

Hereford throws a big headed calf. Would start hereford heifers with a black angus bull.

I always preferred the meat on a *real* red angus myself.
Buy em from the 4H auctions....damn things are treated like a kids pet........because it is.

Not true. There are a number of "crossbred" cattle breeds, and many have been developed in the US. For example, we raised Beefmaster cattle when I was a kid.

Brangus is another.

My dad liked Santa Gertrudis bulls because they threw small calves that were unlikely to cause complications during birth. At least, that was his belief. But, we had beefmaster, charolais, Brahman, Santa Gertrudis, and even a Limousine bull at various times. We slowly moved away from registered cattle, especially when the market turned with the rise of "Angus Brand" cattle. Black skin carries a premium, even at the cattle auction barn- and they don't even need to be Angus breed cattle to be "angus brand" cattle.
I believe they were the first developed here. The longhorn, a powerful animal, was brought by the Spanish.

I believe they were the first developed here. The longhorn, a powerful animal, was brought by the Spanish.
What started as Spanish stock, had 400 years of semi-feral existence in the arid and harsh environment of what is now Northern Mexico and South Texas in order to develop into what we now recognize as Texas Longhorns.

These https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corriente are, apparently, closer to what the Spanish actually brought over from Spain.

And all I had to do was drop the trigger word.

The 'cow farts' was just a joke, dont get all 'stunk' up about it.

Its not just looking at what a few people are saying, its looking at things in an over view. Of course no one incident can be taken alone but if you look at the state of the oceans, the declining forests, Nuke shit like Fuck u shima, and add them to all the rest, it paints a discouraging picture. Google 'Oil spills in Siberia'. The Ruskies ar leaking the equivalent of the gulf disaster every few months.

When you add it all up...Bad news ahead. If you cant, or refuse to, see it, thats on you.

So you are basing our changing world on the observations of your shirt life time. Thats the problem. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Worlds been changing a long time chief.

No all you had to do was make claims. I wanted to see how you substantiated them. As I figured you really didn't, you just tried polarize the conversation with bullshit.

Could you please define declining forests?

Please sight sources for or quantify the "state of our oceans."

You understand there are places that oil literally leaks out of the surface of the earth, and microbes eat it right?

It looks to me like you need to quit reading Vox and Huffiest. And quit trusting google.

Yes Fuckashima, How long was it before anything was going to be able to live around Chernobyl? Whats it look like now?

Long Horns can JUMP...... they are a cross between and elk, a kangaroo, with piss and vinegar mixed in their blood... and they can hit you with the tip of those horns like a fine stiletto knife.
They can carve up other bulls, faster than a butcher at 1am.
They have those horns for a reason and they can use them.
Anyone caught out in a field, with a pissed off long horn, better have the methods to defend oneself ..

Reactions: skinney_7

Popcorn?
Ill just leave this beside your popcorn. Get back to us on it when you get a chance.

Reactions: lash